Europe and pick pockets

kandj05

My DH and I are going on our first European cruise in June. We are headed to Norway and Canary Islands. Do we need to be concerned about pick pockets?

For those countries that we do need to be more protective, what works best? Pictures and links would be very helpful.

Neither of those destinations have a reputation for pick-pockets. In fact, both have low levels of crime. :)

Usual sensible precaution is all that's needed, same as anywhere.

Like nitemare, I'm intrigued by that itinerary. :confused:

Can I guess two b2b cruises from Southampton?

JB :)

Bob,

Does Lee carry a special purse also? Just curious if Kurt should hold on to it all or if when we do travel to the high security areas, I should order a special zipped/locked purse.

When we were in sailing out of Barcelona in May, I had heard Barcelona had a problem with pick pockets. My son lives in Madrid and agrees that you have to be real careful. I borrowed a cross body bag with the cable in the strap and used that. I also made sure to keep the body of the bag in front of me with my had on it at all times. My husband carried a backpack most of the time and while my son and I suggested he carry it in front, rather than on his back, he refused because he said he didn't want to look like a dork. :confused::roll eyes: Never mind the fact that most other people were carrying their back packs in the front. Luckily, nothing happened. Also, be careful with your cell phones. Don't set them on table in restaurants, especially outdoor cafes and be careful with the way you are holding them. My son says it's common for people to just run by and snatch them. That being said, the ports you are visiting may not have big issues with these types of things but it can happen anywhere, anytime. My niece had her purse cut right off her shoulder in Chicago. She didn't even notice it at first and my daughter has a friend who was holding her phone in her hand when someone ran by and grabbed it. That was in New Orleans.

I definitely travel with a crossbody purse (one by Tumi) and keep it on at all times. Even at a restaurant -I never hang it on the back of my chair.

One thing we now do when we travel is my husband and I each take a different credit card with us. That way if his is stolen we still have mine to use. I make a copy of each credit cards' account number and number to call if stolen or lost and that I keep in the safe in our cabin.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Norway has so little petty theft that I have developed the horrible habit of leaving my purse at the table unattended if I have to get up and order at the counter.

That said, because of the complacent population, it is a summer haven for pickpockets (apparently they don't like to stick around during the winter). However, this is mostly confined to crowds - mostly rush hour or night buses in the city center that are completely full.

On the west coast, it won't be an issue at all. No need for a special bag. Just keep a hand on it if you end up in a crowded area, and you'll be fine.

As for the Canaries, none of the ports we visited were crowded enough to warrant more than a slightly elevated level of attention. For most of them we didn't even stick to the port city and chose instead to explore further inland.

I definitely travel with a crossbody purse (one by Tumi) and keep it on at all times. Even at a restaurant -I never hang it on the back of my chair.

One thing we now do when we travel is my husband and I each take a different credit card with us. That way if his is stolen we still have mine to use. I make a copy of each credit cards' account number and number to call if stolen or lost and that I keep in the safe in our cabin.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

We each take different credit cards also and have the phone numbers to contact each when abroad.

I used a fanny pack when in Norway last spring, wearing it on my front, with my hand on it at all times. Worked for my wallet, camera, and cell phone, plus a small water bottle. I don't care that it looks dorky.

The area around the Central Train Station in Oslo is notorious for pick pockets. Stay alert and avoid loitering in this area. There are some problems in Bergen near the Fish Market as well.

I live in the UK and have travelled extensively throughout Europe and there are very few places where I would take especial care, Barcelona, Naples spring to mind. If I were you I would take the same level as care as you do at home. Zip up your bags, no wallets in back pockets, not too much money on you each day. And that should be fine.

Rob

My DH and I are going on our first European cruise in June. We are headed to Norway and Canary Islands. Do we need to be concerned about pick pockets?

For those countries that we do need to be more protective, what works best? Pictures and links would be very helpful.

Places that seem to be more infamous for pickpockets are:

Rome, Paris, Barcelona, London, Prague & Bangkok.

I know 3 people that were robbed in Bangkok.

Many years we "lost" money on the metro in Paris.

A colleague was dragged to an ATM in London several years ago, whilst his friend was held hostage.

A friend had her camera stolen in Prague when using public transport.

We were warned of a potential pickpocket situation in Rome a couple of years ago.

Pickpockets often work in groups whereby the first bumps into you in a crowded area, ie subway. The person immeadiately behind you takes the wallet & passes it to a 3rd person, who makes off. It's all about catching you off guard.

I now have a "Pac Safe" bag, which is supposed to be anti-theft (strap is enforced with metal, so that it can't be cut. The bottom is made of anti-cutting material. It also has an anti credit card theft device. I wear it over my body & keep it close to me, in big cities. We never carry too much cash when in ports.

Be vigilant, keep your valuables out of visition (ie. undercloth wallets).

Don't wear flashy jewelry when in port.

Safe travels.

Places that seem to be more infamous for pickpockets are:

Rome, Paris, Barcelona, London, Prague & Bangkok.

I know 3 people that were robbed in Bangkok.

Many years we "lost" money on the metro in Paris.

A colleague was dragged to an ATM in London several years ago, whilst his friend was held hostage.

A friend had her camera stolen in Prague when using public transport.

We were warned of a potential pickpocket situation in Rome a couple of years ago.

There's nothing unique about the countries in Europe (the OP's concern). Crowded places where distracted tourists congregate are appealing places for pick-pocketers all over the world.

While you're ogling the tourist sites, remain aware of your surroundings and follow the common sense recommendations that have already been posted.

There is nothing new on this topic. Some portion of posters will keep posting scare posts. Some portion will keep posting timid posts. And the vast majority of us will continue to travel without incident and our posts will have almost no impact on the other two groups.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Norway and the Canaries are very safe places in respect of pick pockets. The places around Europe where you will more likely have problems have newcomers moving in better their lives, economic migrants. These people quite often have no right to work in the new country but need money to survive.

Pretty sure the bolded describes Norway fairly accurately!

http://gatesofvienna.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ayslumseekers2014.jpg

I actually live in a neighborhood with a large migrant population and commute through the central station every day. But the only time I've been pickpocketed was on a crowded weekend night bus in the middle of one of Oslo's wealthy old-money neighborhoods. Pickpocketing is much more about opportunity than demographics.

• 2 weeks later...

On our excursion in In Rome, we visited the Trevi Fountain. We had a private excursion. When our Tour Guide parked the vehicle, he advised us to leave ALL valuables in the vehicle, including phones, men's wallets, ladies handbags, etc. He said it did not make any difference if we had the pacsafe bags or not. (All the ladies did, by the way). He locked the van up tight and Walked us down to the fountain. Another van driver watched the van. Our tour guide gave us each a coin to throw and used one of our cameras to take pictures of the "moment.":) He kept the camera on his person until we got back to the van.

Then it was our turn to "watch" the next van and all the belongings. It was a wonderful experience.

The moral here is, if you plan to be out and about on your own, take precautions. You never know who may be "watching." We tourists stick out like a sore thumb now matter hard we try not to.:eek:

Our tour was on foot, and the tour guide didn't tell us to carry nothing. And yet somehow nothing was taken!

If you're visiting the Trevi fountain, there's no point trying to avoid looking like a tourist. Everyone there is a tourist. The armies of pickpockets (unless it's their day off!) are the only locals there.

Our tour was on foot, and the tour guide didn't tell us to carry nothing. And yet somehow nothing was taken!

If you're visiting the Trevi fountain, there's no point trying to avoid looking like a tourist. Everyone there is a tourist. The armies of pickpockets (unless it's their day off!) are the only locals there.

It is not very likelly the pickpockets are locals. Often they are groups who travel around in Europe, stay for a short time in one country then move on to the next before they attract interest from the police.

We have done several cruises that included the Mediterranean, Canary Islands, British Isles, Norway, etc.

Pickpocketing in Scandinavia seemed pretty rare from what we heard and saw while there.

It is not bad in Germany, those countries still have a efficient police and legal system for punishing such thefts.

The places that we have been that are terrible for pickpockets are:

1) Barcelona - much has been posted about this problem in this wonderful city. The problem is that even if caught, the culprits are hardly punished at all. Make sure that you take precautions and keep aware of your surroundings. Men should wear a money belt, women carry a pack safe purse and only carry what you need for the day.

2) Paris is terrible, especially taking the train from CDG into Paris.

3) Athens, Rome, Madrid, also a concern,

As far as the British Isles are concerned, take care in London, but we never felt like it was a major problem in the countryside or smaller cities.

The *only* time I have ever had a purse stolen (which I almost never carry whilst on holiday) was in my own home city - NYC in 1993 (it's even safer now) and it was partly my fault due to where I'd placed it - I've never made that mistake again AND the proprietor of the establishment I was in helped make good on part of the loss. Not a complete disaster.

I've traveled to four continents - visited many major European cities, Asia, Oz/NZ (hardly anything happens Down Under!) the Caribbean, Mexico and NOTHING has ever happened AND I've traveled many times ALL ALONE - a woman. While I think I have pretty keen radar and senses of what's going on around me, I'll be the first to admit I too get awe-struck and amazed at the drop of a hat in say...in the Roman Forum or Eiffel Tower (every single time) or watching the Glockenspiel in the Marienplatz? It happens but things don't always go wrong, not especially when we take precautions - as many people here have mentioned doing...keeping copies of documents, carrying different credit cards, light cash amounts but maybe most of all - walking with happiness and CONFIDENCE.

While I think having lived in NYC has probably helped me develop/hone "awareness" skills (ever ride the subway?) that people living in smaller suburban, rural areas might not have - I also have only ever seen anyone GET pickpocketed just once on the Paris Metro but in an area that was NOT surprising - way further out of central Paris! (A friend of mine, an NYC transplant and former Naval Officer, did get pickpocketed in the Rome Metro BUT ran after the perpetrator and got his stuff back - don't try that yourself!)

If you arrive worried or expecting trouble - guess what - the thieves have already taken something from you....the joy of travel. Wisdom is still yours: buy and carry cleverly a decent travel bag or wallet with sturdy snaps/closures/zippers the works. So what if it takes an extra 30 seconds to open/close each time - your stuff is there. Make copies - digital (photos on phone or ipad) or paper or both of passports and important documents and keep them SEPARATE from what you carry *just in case* as copies help in replacing lost items. Preparation for something happen usually or often precludes something happening - it helps to add to your confidence because guess what - you're armed and ready - they won't get you, confident people do NOT look like easy targets.

Now....GO HAVE FUN.