Room Service Charge on GEM

long Island

Is it true they started charging for room service? We get coffee and fruit every morning. Does anyone know if there's a charge for that?

Yes, it's $7.95. They do offer limited complementary choices in the morning (I think 6 am to 10 am) but not sure if fruit is one of the choices. If you search "room service menu" you're likely to find it.

There is no room service charge for coffee/tea and a limited selection of pastries. Anything other than that would incur the 7.95 service charge. On the upside, you are now able to enjoy a full breakfast of eggs etc. for this small charge. You couldn't get breakfast for 2 in your hometown for 7.95.

There is no room service charge for coffee/tea and a limited selection of pastries. Anything other than that would incur the 7.95 service charge. On the upside, you are now able to enjoy a full breakfast of eggs etc. for this small charge. You couldn't get breakfast for 2 in your hometown for 7.95.

Yes, but go to the MDR and get a breakfast for $0.

I dislike that NCL that started charging for room service. I can understand a charge late at night, say 1am to 6am, but not all day. Unfortunately the change has been made.

Yes, but go to the MDR and get a breakfast for $0.

I dislike that NCL that started charging for room service. I can understand a charge late at night, say 1am to 6am, but not all day. Unfortunately the change has been made.

You are correct about breakfast at the MDR. It's nice to be served, plus have many more choices, plus you need to get that Bloody Mary. But for fans of breakfast in bed, it might be worth $8 for a full breakfast.

My wife got free room service every day, full menu included, delivery time was 10 to 15 minutes.

We bought and brought these style takeout food containers. Each morning, as well as sometimes for lunch and dinner, she sent me up to the buffet with a reusable insulated grocery bag where I loaded up with meals for her, my 4 year old son, and herself, and brought them back to the room.

She'd get things moved around in the balcony to have it ready for when the food was delivered and we'd spend the morning outside with coffee and eggs and at night for sunset sit with a plate of cheese and olives. I'd toss three of the napkin/knife/fork combos in the bag as well as a bowl and a carton of milk for cereal for my son and walk back to the room.

I enjoyed watching people give me cranky looks as I transferred from plate to container, they were just mad they didn't think of something so grand. We were responsible and I put the plates on the waiter's trays when I was done and with the containers in the room bring them to the room steward for garbage or walk them back up to he buffet.

Pretty sure this is going to be a normal thing for us going forward on our cruises to come, it was a brilliant idea.

My wife got free room service every day, full menu included, delivery time was 10 to 15 minutes.

We bought and brought these style takeout food containers. Each morning, as well as sometimes for lunch and dinner, she sent me up to the buffet with a reusable insulated grocery bag where I loaded up with meals for her, my 4 year old son, and herself, and brought them back to the room.

She'd get things moved around in the balcony to have it ready for when the food was delivered and we'd spend the morning outside with coffee and eggs and at night for sunset sit with a plate of cheese and olives. I'd toss three of the napkin/knife/fork combos in the bag as well as a bowl and a carton of milk for cereal for my son and walk back to the room.

I enjoyed watching people give me cranky looks as I transferred from plate to container, they were just mad they didn't think of something so grand. We were responsible and I put the plates on the waiter's trays when I was done and with the containers in the room bring them to the room steward for garbage or walk them back up to he buffet.

Pretty sure this is going to be a normal thing for us going forward on our cruises to come, it was a brilliant idea.

How much of a tip did she leave you? :D

How much of a tip did she leave you? :D

She had the UHP* so it was all included in the cost of her fare.

(*Ultimate Husband Package: Terms and conditions apply in forthwith that if husband does not deliver food as expected a lifetime of alimony and suffering are included as a way to make up for such terrible behavior)

(*Ultimate Husband Package: Terms and conditions apply in forthwith that if husband does not deliver food as expected a lifetime of alimony and suffering are included as a way to make up for such terrible behavior)

No flaming here. To each his or her own. Not my idea of a cruise vacation but glad it works for you. You sound like a swell guy. Like my dear old dad. Miss him.

LOVE that idea! Brilliant!

I will have my DH do the same.:D

My husband does the same - he lets me sleep in and then brings me back breakfast. :-) Huge KUDOS to all who a re a member of UHP.

i dont mind getting off my bum to get food. do they let you bring food back to your room now? or is that still an outlawed thing? i'll be doing it anyway just want to know if i need to be sneeky or not :D
Not bringing food back from the restaurants was rescinded right after it was announced and BTW, other than one or two incidents, never enforced it on the ships.

Jezo -- I found a copy of your post on my pillow last night along with my daily "honey-do" list. You are a troublemaker !!!!! lol