Which cruise would you choose?

wxguyinms

I'm considering two options for a May 8, 2016, cruise:

1. Carnival Breeze from Galveston (7 days): Ports are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

2. Carnival Splendor from Miami (8 days): Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Aruba and Curacao)

I've been to all of the ports except Grand Cayman and La Romana, and Curacao is my favorite port I've visited. I've never sailed either ship but have sailed the Dream (same class as Breeze) twice.

Which ship/itinerary would you choose, and why?

Edited by wxguyinms

This one is a tough call and I think it all comes down to whether the ship or the itinerary is more important for you.

I've not sailed on the Splendor, but the Breeze is my all-time favorite ship. She's amazing! However, I think the Splendor itinerary wins, hands down. Plus, you get an extra day. I'm not much help, I know....but just ask yourself if ship or itinerary is more important.

1. Carnival Breeze from Galveston (7 days): Ports are Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

2. Carnival Splendor from Miami (8 days): Ports are Grand Turk, La Romana, Aruba and Curacao)

I've been to all of the ports except Grand Cayman and La Romana, and Curacao is my favorite port I've visited. I've never sailed either ship but have sailed the Dream (same class as Breeze) twice.

i pick Splendor for the extra day and I have never been to La Romana, Aruba and Curacao

Love Splendor, sailed her 3x

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

We are sailing into Galveston off the Liberty in a couple of weeks and I can't say I am happy about it. Nothing against Galveston, which, I'm sure is a great city, but we have to fly out of Houston, so it's a cab, shuttle, limo, whatever from Galveston to Houston and the only cheap one ain't reliable. And we are only doing it one way, if it is a round trip out of Galveston and you are flying in also, good luck.

PLUS, I was just informed that if you buy any liquor either on board or in any ports, the state of Texas puts a $3.50 per bottle tax on all bottles. It may be duty free but not state tax free. And they do not give you your liquor until the morning of debarkation, so you have to hand carry it thru customs and pay the tax.

All things being equal, I hope this is the last time I sail out of Galveston. Once again, nothing against the city but the entire process is horrible.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

H

I would do the Splendor because I've booked that exact trip for this summer. I was sold on the itinerary. Why is Curaçao your favorite?

I would choose Splendor. I would love to try Breeze but we were on Splendor last year and had a great time and I haven't been to 3 of the 4 ports on Splendor's itinerary while I have to all of the ports on Breeze. The extra day is a plus too.

I would go Splendor, it's got an extra days and some great ports. Especially since it includes your favorite port, and goes to a new place for you. Are you able to drive to both ports? Or would one require you to fly? Is there a significant price difference between the 2? Those are all things that I would think about if I were you.

I haven't been on either of the ships, but I'd probably have to go with the Splendor because of the extra day and you said it had your favorite port. I don't think you could go wrong with either, though! Good luck making your decision!

I was on the Splendor when she was sailing out of Long Beach. I would sail on her again. Some people complain about the decorating of the Splendor but I did found it to be fine. I have not been on the Breeze yet - sailing on her in April 2017.

The extra day is something I definitely would keep in mind as a plus.

As someone else mentioned, if it were me I would also consider the costs of flying to Galveston vs. Miami, transportation to and from airport, hotel if staying overnight prior to the cruise, etc.

To me just being on a cruise is more important than the destination. The excursions can be fun but they are not the most important thing to me. If you enjoy cruising than you will enjoy it no matter where you go.

Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to go with the Splendor for the reasons most of you mentioned: itinerary and extra day.

The prices of the two cruises were the same, and I would fly to either port. I generally drive to New Orleans and cruise from there, but my last three cruises were on the Dream, and I'm ready for something different.

I'm satisfied with my decision and think I will appreciate not having to fly into Houston then make my way to Galveston.

Thanks again!