Canadian Dollar at Par

The offer includes Mediterranean itineraries on the Spirit and the Jade. Or are those rubbish, too?

Sorry I hadn't looked too closely just saw the big ships and the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda and was immediately turned off.

I far prefer longer cruises on smaller ships with lots of different ports and I can't see them offering those.

Do they actually require proof that you're Canadian? Or can anyone ask to book their cruise in CAD with this promo and save 30% off the USD price?

I don't believe it is 30% off the USD price. It is Canadians paying the USD price in Canadian currency, essentially saving them the exchange rate of approximately 30%.

Yes, this is just the same as having our Canadian dollars on par with American ones, which saves us 30+ % which is HUGE.

This is of great interest to me, as we've booked one of these trips listed (to Bermuda) but haven't reached the final payment date. Our family cruise was booked through Air Canada, and they had promised to honor any price drops, so we'll see if they honor this one. I've put in a call to our TA to check into it. It might be worth cancelling and rebooking if it's a couple of thousand $$ savings for the family.

Thanks for mentioning all this in the thread. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Apparently, all that glitters in not gold.

Our TA called in and the price quoted for "on par" bookings, (same cabins/category) is about 25% higher than the original price we locked into a few months ago.

So the cost is (significantly) higher now ...and they give it back to us in a promotion. Even with 'par' we'd still end up paying a little more. Interesting...

It looks as though they've changed the promotion already. It no longer says Canada at Par only but includes some sailing with up to 25% discount.

It appears that while it says for Canadians,you might get some type of discount so, hawkeyetlse, I would call and ask the question because they've broadened the offer by making the discount combinable with Free at Sea offers.

Still not interesting for us but we've done our cruising for this year... 24 days is enough at one time, although no regrets, that's for sure but, enough.

Apparently, all that glitters in not gold.

Our TA called in and the price quoted for "on par" bookings, (same cabins/category) is about 25% higher than the original price we locked into a few months ago.

So the cost is (significantly) higher now ...and they give it back to us in a promotion. Even with 'par' we'd still end up paying a little more. Interesting...

Yes, unfortunately that happens a lot. When we did the British Isles/TA cruises in Sept./Oct this past year the price for our cabins skyrocketed. Turned out to be great cruises though.

Would anyone know if you book a cruise at par, would your gratuities, onboard credit etc. be at par as well if you paid online before the cruise?

Thank you.

Under the normal system yes but as this is a special offer I would wonder. I cannot see it being taken that far. You will need to ask.

Mike

OBC is always in US$.

Not when you book in Canadian dollars.

On board OBC is always part of your On Board Account which is always shown in USD.

If you pay for your cruise in USD all accounting is in USD but if you pay for your cruise in CAD all future purchases for that cruise are in CAD.

They show as credits in USD but also do the debits in CAD.

We bought USD1000 but paid as CAD1350. OBC showed USD1000, my credit card was debited CAD1350. Our Amenity Invoice showed a credit of USD1000 and a payment of CAD1350.

Mike

I called today and inquired as to what could be included in the Canadian at par promo. We have been looking at the Escape for late April and the exchange has been the main reason we have not yet booked.

For us to take the Free at Sea package with UBP and SDP, in a guaranteed balcony, it would have been approx $2465 US ($3319 CAN equivalent)

For us to take the Canadian at Par promo, without USP/SDP, in a guaranteed balcony, it would have been approx $2163 CAN. (We can also pay our service charge / grats in Canadian if prepaid at time of booking, this would take the pricing up to $2440.)

I specifically questioned adding the Dining package at time of booking, and if that would be US or Canadian, and that is not allowed. Only the service charge can be included. All add on items must done in US $$.

For curiosity sake, I priced out adding both dining and beverages to the Canadian at Par promo, and the cost would be approx $3760 CAN, it would end up being about a $100 difference, once the service charge is accounted for.

We're booked at the Allure of the Seas for this summer. With this promo, I was considering to switching to the Escape. But when I checked the prices, NCL's megaships were much more expensive than RCL's Oasis class ships : same dates, same itinerary and same cabin category. :(

We'll stay with the Allure for now.

I called today and inquired as to what could be included in the Canadian at par promo. We have been looking at the Escape for late April and the exchange has been the main reason we have not yet booked.

For us to take the Free at Sea package with UBP and SDP, in a guaranteed balcony, it would have been approx $2465 US ($3319 CAN equivalent)

For us to take the Canadian at Par promo, without USP/SDP, in a guaranteed balcony, it would have been approx $2163 CAN. (We can also pay our service charge / grats in Canadian if prepaid at time of booking, this would take the pricing up to $2440.)

I specifically questioned adding the Dining package at time of booking, and if that would be US or Canadian, and that is not allowed. Only the service charge can be included. All add on items must done in US $$.

For curiosity sake, I priced out adding both dining and beverages to the Canadian at Par promo, and the cost would be approx $3760 CAN, it would end up being about a $100 difference, once the service charge is accounted for.

Thank you SSMcruises. This is the info I was looking for!

We're booked at the Allure of the Seas for this summer. With this promo, I was considering to switching to the Escape. But when I checked the prices, NCL's megaships were much more expensive than RCL's Oasis class ships : same dates, same itinerary and same cabin category. :(

We'll stay with the Allure for now.

We sailed on the Allure this December for less than NCls three biggest ships prices, even with 3rd and 4 th free. Plus we had two Central Park view cabins.

I couldn't believe it.

Would anyone know if you book a cruise at par, would your gratuities, onboard credit etc. be at par as well if you paid online before the cruise?

Thank you.

When I spoke to my PCC yesterday, he said I could prepay the DSC in Canadian funds which would be $19.76 per day OR wait until I was on the ship and pay $13.50 per day US. My estimate on the conversion as of yesterday would have been .46 cents on the dollar. With that exchange rate in mind, and also the fact that our dollar is gaining a "bit" of strength right now, I have decided, that should I go ahead and book a cruise, that I would wait and pay my DSC once onboard. Right now I can buy US $$$'s at my bank online for approximately .38 cents on the dollar. As far as the onboard credit, should you buy some before sailing, you would pay in Canadian $$$'s, BUT in would in fact show up on your OBC account as being in US $$$'s as once onboard ALL purchases will show up in US $$$'s. The only thing I am not 100% certain about right now, is that while they say the cruise portion is "Canadian At Par", I believe that your port charges and taxes are added in at the NCL's current Canadian exchange rate (which as stated above, seems a bit inflated), as far as I can figure from my phone conversation of yesterday. I do need to call my PCC back and clarify this specifically. So as of right now, I have not committed to a specific booking at this time.

Edited by Ontario cruise duo

The only thing I am not 100% certain about right now, is that while they say the cruise portion is "Canadian At Par", I believe that your port charges and taxes are added in at the NCL's current Canadian exchange rate (which as stated above, seems a bit inflated), as far as I can figure from my phone conversation of yesterday. I do need to call my PCC back and clarify this specifically. So as of right now, I have not committed to a specific booking at this time.

Canada at Par:

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Booking Window: March 1, 2016 - March 15, 2016 11:59 pm EST

Applicable Sailings:Select 5 night or longer sailings booked greater than 30 days prior to sailing

Applicable to all categories.

Offer is for New Individual FIT Reservations only.

Qualifying New Individual reservations cannot be included into a traditional or FS group.

Promotion cannot be held as group block.

Offer only applicable on voyage fare and NCF's (non commissionable fee) for all guests in stateroom.

Offer is not combinable with Free at Sea offers.

Offer is capacity controlled and can be withdrawn at anytime.

Offer is not valid for Affinity Groups.

Singles paying 200% of voyage fare qualify.

Government Taxes, Port Expenses & Fees, discretionary on board service charges and are additional.

Cancellation Fees also apply based on the Booking/Sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of Travel Protection on all bookings.

Not applicable to Chartered Dates and Group Types: CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE

This is a cruise only offer. This promotion is not applicable on the land portion of Cruisetours or BUNDLES.

Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply.

Applicable to NCL MIAMI, NCL INTL, AUSTRALIA, NCL BRAZIL, and NCL ASIA. Not applicable to CE and UK offices.

Why are the big ships "rubbish"?

I did not say that the big ships were "rubbish". I used the word to describe the cruises that I do not like and wouldn't even consider.

I don't mind being criticized for my thoughts but at least criticize what I wrote not what you think I wrote.

Royal Caribbean has a similar offer on from March 1-5, 2016 only. 35% off for Canadians and it isn't just limited to cruises in 2016. I was looking at some for 2017.

I just booked with them yesterday. Also the cruise I booked for Alaska next year also had no single supplement.

Actually 30% off is for anybody. 5% more was for Canadians.

If you pay for it. The devaluation in Canada is the doing of its central bank, it helps keep their exports flowing into the US. I never would use use a Canadian flag on my luggage as I'm not ashamed of my country or Trump.

If NCL wants to throw away 35% then its their concern. I cancelled my upcoming cruises on them because they charge for everything that was once included. I guess it's NCLs VAT.

We just booked yesterday with the "At Par" promo BUT the catch was we could not get any of the other perks with it like dining and alcohol, which we don't mind because we don't drink much and the speciality restaurants there is only 1 or 2 that appeal to us and we are Platinum so we get a freebee restaurant. Its a great deal if don't care for the alcohol package.