Panama Canal Shore Excursions

We are traversing the Panama Canal in April. We have signed up for the 7 hour shore excursion to see the canal on the ferry boat. We were wondering if some of you more experienced folks know how much of that shore excursion is duplicated by the actual traverse of the canal in the ship.

When we traversed the canal, no excursions were offered. But I do think it would be fun to see more of the area. There was a lot of stopping in Lake Gatun and just waiting for our ships turn to go though the next lock.

We had a wonderful excursion that took us into the surrounding forest and our

guide pointed out lots of things to look at.

For those that wanted to go swimming they took us to an area just for that purpose.

Also to a place where the natives had their wares on display and you could purchase them.

Here is a link to Regent excursions in Panama for their cruise next month. http://www.rssc.com/cruises/MAR160420/activities/regent-choice-plus-free/day-6/default/default.aspx#Activities . Hope this helps!

Those are excursions for ships that have a port stop in Colon. For crossings such as our 9/3/16 San Francisco to New York cruise, with no stop in Colon, there do not appear to be any excursions for the Canal.

There are plenty of other excursions, but the 7 hour excursion is just a boat trip through the canal and back. I took a 3 hour where you get to see the construction of the new canal and then see the locks up close from shore.

Jackie,

The ship I was on docked in Colon and we left for the tours from there and went through the Canal the following day.

I took the tour mentioned by JABE9999 and enjoyed it.

We stopped at the Gatune Locks, watched a cruise ship go though, drove near the new construction and then back to Colon and the ship. Very interesting.

One advantage of stopping at the Gatune Locks was that there are 2 viewing areas - one up a number of steps so that you "overlook" the Locks and another at ground level where the ship passed right in front of you.

The lower level is handicapped accessible - a category I fitted into in January due to a replaced hip. Still very interesting.

I've been thorough the Canal a number of times - this was a very satisfactory tour.

Peggy

Our first Canal transit on the Mariner in 2001, we entered the canal and then stopped at the Gatun Yacht Club for a half day. As I recall there were numerous excursions, we did a simple land tour, which included the old military housing and then a nature cruise to see birds, sloths, etc. They also had local dancers and crafts for sale. I've been disappointed we haven't stopped again, maybe it's no longer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our first Canal transit on the Mariner in 2001, we entered the canal and then stopped at the Gatun Yacht Club for a half day. As I recall there were numerous excursions, we did a simple land tour, which included the old military housing and then a nature cruise to see birds, sloths, etc. They also had local dancers and crafts for sale. I've been disappointed we haven't stopped again, maybe it's no longer there.

The good old days. I was on that cruise too. It was the fist part of the Circle South America cruise. The ship stopped in the Gatun lake and tendered to the "Yacht Club" The put on a BBQ lunch. Beside the tours the best thing was that you could swim in the canal.

As far tours, if the ship stops, take anything that goes to the Gatun Locks. They take you to a viewing platform located between the two lock chambers. From there you are at ground zero to see the whole operation of the locks and ship transit. IMO the best tour is the Eco Cruise & Gatun Lock. The Eco cruise is on the Chagres River below the Gatun Dam which you drive beneath to get to the dock. You can see what the jungle of Panama look like before the canal was built.

Swimming in the Canal Pic.

s4VNX4tocvSAxfVzBJB2blPQD5uZRXo72ls2elJgbkqnPH1NinJSgV4UdZ0joXK4klS5D9UXDNe1VZcxwuS4snpbaFIEq0ozRJnVWuYuYYYuesZUhW2GyOr-9lXztowMoQhfjtHmo9f4zBcVVvhj5EwQ9Cs5e_L-63DTj5sR5uEJkl7SK34sVunJugrWLolSB3oho8Li30ICC1VhGshJWD_mFp_HMt4l_k7JprSWHRh9Gg-Uw2FM5rkwIAzduRAbT47HxJaiEi_bTOgGdv5eljcVb_Cw_Gybbs-zZFboPHghsBaF_JZNiH-FCbAT8KUu20eqQCxtgDSNqk8-zS6S-1d9n9WKddtvLEcmK6oeUO2r-rTbP_Gt8X_BtYu6eLAqxv8_4fs5wABvnOeCBVqj_6ia8U38x-DULfv-khMPKnseeylwmKs2JjhxAnTk_yss6qI-2rCJTmmiqR8ur3ZG7z0kUowfiaGEJHOXttJmotwD-BuMa1jJXXb_OTbi3dtVeP6Ba1A3PN4Q3vRgzLpjK6gUa68U-Xo5KUGLfHqyorgZAkWPqaTm3QHTeLI-9ucPydKo=w320-h240-no

AF1QipO6ArtGFTnW3D6EgdNnTNgVbI59lOYfpq6xSPKv?key=LXB1cmFwd0ZiR2RIaXZBU3UwTmw4U1VhMDJoRF9R

j