Carnival Sunshine Delayed Boarding March 5th

Steven89

Boarding for Carnival Sunshine is delayed until 2 pm due to extra cleaning following the recent Norovirus issue on the last cruise. Terminal building is at capacity and no one else is being allowed in at the moment. More updates to follow.

For the record, Carnival did send out an email 36 hours ago regarding a delayed boarding. Passengers were told to arrive between 1-4 pm. Terminal reached capacity before 1 pm.

Free bottled water has been passed out; snacks too.

Over the loudspeaker right now... "Boarding soon... Working hard to get the ship ready..."

According to fellow passengers sitting nearby, there is a large crowd outside the terminal. As noted earlier, the terminal building is at capacity. People inside are in good spirits. Some are annoyed, but overall not too bad in here.

More updates shortly.

Final Norovirus count from the CDC was 178 passengers and 5 crew over the entire 13 day voyage. Glad to see that the ship is getting cleaned. Really sorry for those that got sick.

Carnival employee stated to nearby passengers that on 1/3 of the passengers have been checked in so far for today's departure.

I have personally seen the massive line of people outside the terminal... It's a bit rough out there; not too hot thankfully. Water is being provided to them as I type this.

More to follow...

Final Norovirus count from the CDC was 178 passengers and 5 crew over the entire 13 day voyage. Glad to see that the ship is getting cleaned. Really sorry for those that got sick.

Carnival employee stated to nearby passengers that on 1/3 of the passengers have been checked in so far for today's departure.

I have personally seen the massive line of people outside the terminal... It's a bit rough out there; not too hot thankfully. Water is being provided to them as I type this.

More to follow...

From what friends have posted thought the number was much higher

We got off the Sunshine this morning after the 13 day cruise. Carnival took steps immediately to prevent the virus from spreading. They even treated people without charge. People were complaining that they hated having to wash their hands so much. I imagine those are the people that brought the virus to the ship in the first place. Most people were quarantined to their rooms for 24 hours after treatment and they were reimbursed for the time that they were quarantined. I commend Carnival for all they did to prevent the further spread of the virus as there were a lot of elderly people on this cruise.

We got off the Sunshine this morning after the 13 day cruise. Carnival took steps immediately to prevent the virus from spreading. They even treated people without charge. People were complaining that they hated having to wash their hands so much. I imagine those are the people that brought the virus to the ship in the first place. Most people were quarantined to their rooms for 24 hours after treatment and they were reimbursed for the time that they were quarantined. I commend Carnival for all they did to prevent the further spread of the virus as there were a lot of elderly people on this cruise.

Great to hear this! I like your positive attitude about a negative situation.:)

Update: still in port. Seems that some guests/vendors weren't getting off fast enough - they have been paging people.

When we first got on, we could definitely smell a chemical cleaning smell... Our stateroom appears very clean.

Hope to leave by 5:30 - 6 pm.

Update: still in port. Seems that some guests/vendors weren't getting off fast enough - they have been paging people.

When we first got on, we could definitely smell a chemical cleaning smell... Our stateroom appears very clean.

Hope to leave by 5:30 - 6 pm.

We sailed on the Spirit on an Alaskan cruise after a breakout. About the same time delay in leaving. One thing is certain, you are sailing on a really clean ship. Be interested in your comments on how food was dispensed on Lido.

I think that the Sunshine last month was the only cruise I've been on in recent years where they didn't have the hand sanitizers sitting in the center of the entrance to each dining venue. The Sunshine had them but they were pushed out of the way and I swear I was the only one using them. I wonder if they'll do more with these passengers.

Still waiting in port... CD states we are still loading supplies & getting ready to sail away.

Regarding hand washing; I've seen many people use the automated hand washing stations. Lots of hand sanitizer units available at dining locations.

This is my 3rd cruise on the Sunshine. Happy to be here.

Still waiting in port... CD states we are still loading supplies & getting ready to sail away.

Regarding hand washing; I've seen many people use the automated hand washing stations. Lots of hand sanitizer units available at dining locations.

This is my 3rd cruise on the Sunshine. Happy to be here.

Enjoy your cruise, let us know your thoughts when you return.

I'm glad I saw this. I was just getting ready to post a question asking why the ship was still docked. Been watching the webcam on and off for the last few hours to try to catch sail away.

This is a good example for Carnival to use for lobbying terminal owners/port authorities to increase cruise terminal capacity through renovations of existing buildings. Stuff happens to cause embarkation delays, ships come in late due to weather, local police kick in doors to serve warrants, etc. and the cruise industry should plan for the worse case scenario that all 3,000+ guests may need a place to wait. Two floors of seats will always have more capacity than one story. This may be a 5 year construction plan but I hope Carnival has at least engaged the port owners to plan for this.

I think that the Sunshine last month was the only cruise I've been on in recent years where they didn't have the hand sanitizers sitting in the center of the entrance to each dining venue. The Sunshine had them but they were pushed out of the way and I swear I was the only one using them. I wonder if they'll do more with these passengers.

I never use hand sanitizer because it irritates my skin, however, I do wash my hands with soap and water religiously.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I hate to hear the norovirus ruined some unlucky families' cruise. I think it's reassuring that Carnival goes to such great lengths to disinfect the ship when that happens.

I know this might seem over the top, but normal cleaners don't kill noro, so I always bring a bottle of Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Spray, which does kill norovirus. (you can get it on amazon)

I spray down the entire cabin with it before we unpack. I realize every surface of the ship is fair game, but I feel better knowing my cabin/balcony is disinfected!

...ships come in late due to weather, local police kick in doors to serve warrants, etc. and the cruise industry should plan for the worse case scenario...

WTH, doors kicked in? That escalated quickly.