Book as single but add someone later?

I'm booking 2 cruises for the end of 2017. What would happen if I booked a JS as a single (paying $250 deposit) and then later on added another person?

We will be doing a B2B and sticking $1000 into a cruise that is so far away drives me crazy. What am I missing if I book this way?

I missed out on the cabin I wanted yesterday so now today I have way to much time on my hand thinking about how to "beat the system" LOL

Pros, cons? Can't be done?

We booked two cabins for a family a couple of years ago and only booked 1 person in each cabin. We added the second person to each cabin just before final payment. The only risk is if the cruise fills up with 3rd and 4th passengers in other staterooms. The ship's capacity is based on how many seats there are in the lifeboats, not how many total beds are on the ship. If you decide to do it this way, just keep an eye cabin availability and if the ship starts to close to being full, get your other two added quickly.

As you may have read my comments on another thread, I've booked this way for years. Usually very early and when a good special is on.

TravelerThom's comment does occur but not for many weeks or months. I usually add my DH in a couple of months or whenever the next payment I want to make occurs. Give them another 250, your gonna eventually give it to them anyway, you may as well use it as long as you can. Never had any problems with them asking for any money for further deposit. And I have never had an increase in fare within that time frame. You lock in your fare and any promotional perks too.

Edited by BecciBoo

Give them another 250, your gonna eventually give it to them anyway, you may as well use it as long as you can. Never had any problems with them asking for any money for further deposit. And I have never had an increase in fare within that time frame. You lock in your fare and any promotional perks too.

Have done this more than once and never any problem. The only increase would be port charges for the additional person.

Edited by billylen

Yep! In fact we just added my step grandson to our group(family cruise) in my Mother's single cabin couple days ago...it cost a whopping $84 and change because we are after final payment about 40 days out, SOLAS did not play a part even now.

Would the added person have to pay the then current, possibly higher, price? Would the whole cabin (ie including you) be repriced? I don't know the answer, but think the cruise line sets the rules up to favor themselves, not you:rolleyes:

Thom

Hasn't happened to us and we must've booked 10 cruises this way. I do it on the phone with a rep and they have never given us an increased fare. They book it the same as me originally.

Of course we always purchase a "next cruise" certificate which is the cheapest way to do a deposit and you get the OBC, over the years they have changed some of the rules but we still find paying $100 for a deposit pretty good. We like to pay for our cruise in big chunks over a year or more, but its all paid for by the time most people would pay the balance at Final Payment. That way we don't owe AMEX anything by cruise time.

Edited by BecciBoo

Would the added person have to pay the then current, possibly higher, price? Would the whole cabin (ie including you) be repriced? I don't know the answer, but think the cruise line sets the rules up to favor themselves, not you:rolleyes:

Thom

I wondered about that. The prices that just came out aren't really that great so I think I'm going to take my chances!

Thank you for all of the replies! I'm going to go ahead and try it.

I usually cruise solo, but sometimes a friend decides to join and I add them. Never been repriced, never had a change to my OBC (actually once it was increased because now there were two in the cabin instead of my discounted solo OBC), never had an issue. Just had to pay the extra port fees/taxes.

Perhaps I'm wrong but there is a chance that added person can be priced higher (going rate when you add them)...To make sure this didn't happen to our upcoming extended family cruise (Harmony March 2017) when I booked it (June 2015) I booked my adult son and a TBD in his cabin...glad I didn't take the chance because those prices have soared !!!!

Those that haven't had a price increase for your added person...congrats..but I didn't want to take a chance.

If it's before final payment and the ship is not already full I truly think there will be no issues. The last time I did it I was adding someone 3 weeks before final to a BOGOHO with special OBC that I had been holding for over a year.

Edited by MattInFLL

How about the other way round; how about 2 people booking into a w gty and then one person cancels, will they make you move out of the w? W is only sold for double occupancy in England, not sure about over there!

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Thom

When you book the cabin, you are locking in the rate for that room. It doesn't matter when you add another person, they will pay the same rate that was paid the day the cabin was first booked.

When you book the cabin, you are locking in the rate for that room. It doesn't matter when you add another person, they will pay the same rate that was paid the day the cabin was first booked.

....unless RCI decides to change the rules and reprices the cabin regardless of what changes you make.:cool:

How about the other way round; how about 2 people booking into a w gty and then one person cancels, will they make you move out of the w? W is only sold for double occupancy in England, not sure about over there!

You could just have the second person be a no show at check in - they won't move you then.:cool:

Do you get double points if the second person is a no show ?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

You may only get the port fees & taxes back...I don't think you will get double points since it wasn't originally booked as a solo.