Best beach on St. Thomas?

CruzerDeb

There are 2 ports. There is a nice beach very close to Crown Bay Dock that's a short taxi ride from there on relatively flat, straight roads.

If your ship docks at West Indies/Havensight dock Morningstar and Emerald Beaches are closest with Morningstar the closer of the 2 but route is a little hillier and curvier.

Both beaches are approximately $4-6 per person each way and both have chairs, bathrooms, food and drink for additional fees.

Are there any nice beaches closer to the port? I've been to Magen's bay twice and every time I promise I'm never going to do that ride again (I get motion sick quite easily!).

So the issue is that most cruisers choose to go to the most crowded and popular beaches (such as Magens Bay). There are quite a few smaller, less commercial, less crowded places (we gave up on the popular beaches over thirty years ago). So, if docked in Crown Bay we usually grab a taxi (although we have made the long somewhat dangerous walk) to Lindbergh Bay (also called Emerald Beach) where you can rent chairs, and they also have food. There is even some half decent snorkeling here (on the left side of the beach along the rocks) but you would need to have your own gear. If docked at Havensight, we normally go over to Morningstar which is a pretty quiet place.

We should add a minor warning about Lindbergh Bay. It is well known to cruise ship crews who routinely dock at Crown Bay...so you might see quite a few of the cruise ship staff also enjoying that quiet beach. We used to also like Saphire (if docked at Havensight) but the facilities have gone way downhill since the bankruptcy of the facility. That being said, we do love the natural beauty of Saphire.

Hank

We had pretty much planned on Sapphire Beach but now after seeing your post I am not sure .. We have two young children.,

What has gone down ?

So the issue is that most cruisers choose to go to the most crowded and popular beaches (such as Magens Bay). There are quite a few smaller, less commercial, less crowded places (we gave up on the popular beaches over thirty years ago). So, if docked in Crown Bay we usually grab a taxi (although we have made the long somewhat dangerous walk) to Lindbergh Bay (also called Emerald Beach) where you can rent chairs, and they also have food. There is even some half decent snorkeling here (on the left side of the beach along the rocks) but you would need to have your own gear. If docked at Havensight, we normally go over to Morningstar which is a pretty quiet place.

We should add a minor warning about Lindbergh Bay. It is well known to cruise ship crews who routinely dock at Crown Bay...so you might see quite a few of the cruise ship staff also enjoying that quiet beach. We used to also like Saphire (if docked at Havensight) but the facilities have gone way downhill since the bankruptcy of the facility. That being said, we do love the natural beauty of Saphire.

Hank

Sapphire has never gone bankrupt. There was a time when the dive shop closed but it has been open now for some time. Some of the buildings are closed as are the tennis courts if that is a concern but the beach and condo units are in excellent shape

Sapphire has never gone bankrupt. There was a time when the dive shop closed but it has been open now for some time. Some of the buildings are closed as are the tennis courts if that is a concern but the beach and condo units are in excellent shape

Did you ever wonder why those places are closed? :D But, no reason not to to that beach (with or without children). And the dive shop (assuming it stays open) is usually very friendly and will rent you chairs and even snorkeling gear. There is some snorkel spots to the left side of the beach (when looking out towards the water) but its nothing to shout about. As to facilities, we have always been able to use the rest room. Food seems to vary year to year from nearly nothing to some pretty decent BBQ stuff. Not sure what is currently available.

On most of our recent cruise visits we are just a bit lazy to go all the way out to Sapphire and find it more convenient to stick to decent beaches closer to the ports and Charlotte Amalie.

Hank

How do you get to Trunk Bay ?

I see you catch ferry but where do you catch it and how long of a ride is it?

When you get off the ferry is the beach right there ?

It's not on St. Thomas...but St. John is freaking GORGEOUS! Best beach I've ever seen...and I grew up on a beach!

Hlitner

Having owned at Sapphire since 1988 I am aware of why those buildings are closed and as I said it isn't because of any bankruptcy Without going into details lets just say it is politics

The point is the beach is the same beautiful beach

What do you own ?? Maybe we will come visit lol!!

Hlitner

Having owned at Sapphire since 1988 I am aware of why those buildings are closed and as I said it isn't because of any bankruptcy Without going into details lets just say it is politics

The point is the beach is the same beautiful beach

Very nice .. We will be there in November..

We have thought about several times going to an island and staying for a week or two but I do love cruising and waking up in a different place plus I was always concerned that the kids would be bored and safety of course especially going out at night.

Irish

I own a condo right on the beach. Come visit anytime but I don't live there so I may not be there. If I am i will give you a tour

Very nice .. We will be there in November..

We have thought about several times going to an island and staying for a week or two but I do love cruising and waking up in a different place plus I was always concerned that the kids would be bored and safety of course especially going out at night.

Cruising is a great way to be introduced to many different destinations in a short time. But it's natural for most folks to want to return for longer visits to those islands that they enjoyed. A totally different experience with no BOB.

We plan to retire to the islands one day .. Right now I am loving St Croix

But that could all change in 10 years we really loved Barbados too when we went there ..

What is your favorite island and why ?

Cruising is a great way to be introduced to many different destinations in a short time. But it's natural for most folks to want to return for longer visits to those islands that they enjoyed. A totally different experience with no BOB.
Edited by Irish13

Beautiful Bill loves STT and Sapphire (for good reason) and can tell you why. I would be looking at Tortola, but my wife and I both enjoy Mexico, and so we chose there. So your choice, if you are as fortunate, can change as you experience new places, and if you are a couple you may need to make concessions so you are both happy and that's what it's all about! :)

We still cruise occasionally, but land vacations are much more common for us now, and even with a new home in Mexico we plan to continue seeing new places and returning to beautiful Tortola, and of course to Sapphire!

[EDIT] Didn't answer the "why" for Mexico (Yucatan) - The natural beauty, gorgeous beaches and water activities, wonderful people, interesting history and customs, abundant dining and entertainment options, quality medical services, and ease of visiting other countries like Belize and the rest of the Carib.

Edited by blue_water

That sounds just amazing .. What more do you need than a beautiful beach, good people and good food. I am surprised that you said quality medical.. I would not have thought that at all.

Do you still have a home in the states or is your main home in Mexico now ?

As far as where we will end up once we retire my husband doesn't really mind where we go as long as we can get out of NJ lol ..

Beautiful Bill loves STT and Sapphire (for good reason) and can tell you why. I would be looking at Tortola, but my wife and I both enjoy Mexico, and so we chose there. So your choice, if you are as fortunate, can change as you experience new places, and if you are a couple you may need to make concessions so you are both happy and that's what it's all about! :)

We still cruise occasionally, but land vacations are much more common for us now, and even with a new home in Mexico we plan to continue seeing new places and returning to beautiful Tortola, and of course to Sapphire!

[EDIT] Didn't answer the "why" for Mexico (Yucatan) - The natural beauty, gorgeous beaches and water activities, wonderful people, interesting history and customs, abundant dining and entertainment options, quality medical services, and ease of visiting other countries like Belize and the rest of the Carib.

How much does the airport affect on the Lindbergh / Emerald beach? Are the sounds loud?

We're going to dock in Crown Bay in September. Wouldn't want to pay much for going to the other side of the island to "the best beaches" :) Emerald is near Crown Bay.

How much does the airport affect on the Lindbergh / Emerald beach? Are the sounds loud?

We're going to dock in Crown Bay in September. Wouldn't want to pay much for going to the other side of the island to "the best beaches" :) Emerald is near Crown Bay.

You will not find the flights that distracting, nice beach to enjoy, and very convenient for you. Great choice! :)

will be docking in Charlotte Amalie and wondering which beach to go to, don't want one to far from port don't want to take along taxi ride 20 or 30 mins and would like the beach to have loungers and umbrellas or shaded areas and food and drink also how much does taxi rides cost or are there buses one could take would like to go to Magens Bay or Sapphire beach but have read they are pretty far from port also wondering the fees for Magens Bay beach I believe we will be the only ship in port July 24th. so I was told it should not be as crowded but would like beaches that are not to far thanks for all who can help