Just off the Sunshine on 3/13 - here's a rundown

pmoniz

Group of 18 of us sailed on the Sunshine 3/5-3/13.

We stood the night before at the Residence Inn Cape Canaveral - great hotel, clean, friendly, good breakfast in the morning. Would stay there again!

Boarding and sail away were delayed because of the noro virus scrub down from the cruise before us. Not a big deal! We were on vacation! It was what it was!

Some of us had cruised the Destiny so it was nice to see the changes they had made. Overall I thought the Sunshine was great! Never felt crowded in any area of the ship. Chair hogs were out in full force our first sea day. But noticed the second sea day the chair police were out tagging chairs and taking stuff off chairs. Which was great! I really don't understand why people do this. But whatever! We always found at least 5 chairs together with no issue! Always stood on deck 10 to hang out in the sun. Loved the wicker furniture up there too with umbrella tables. Nice touch!

All of the staff we encountered were amazing! We connected with one waiter and he took very good care of us! The only negative staff I can say we experienced were in the Alchemy Bar. Although the drinks were great, they took forever and they had the personality of rocks!

Loved the Red Frog Pub/Ocean Plaza area. Spent lots of time there. The music on the ship was my favorite of all ships. The 2 solo guitarists were great and the band Mix of Six were amazing!! They chatted with us every night we went to see them and were just great. They had a jam session one night in the Red Frog with all the musicians and it was great!

Didn't see any comedy shows, but we did go to the Epic Rock show. That was great! Played some trivia games, etc.

Loved that they had a breakfast area set up at the Taste Bar area near Ocean Plaza everyday!! It was so nice to go there and eat instead of Lido Marketplace!

Wasn't a fan of Guys Burgers (although everyone in our group loved them). Fries were way to salty and my 1 burger was too overcooked for me! However, Bonsai Sushi was AMAZING!! Yes, you have to pay but it's well worth it and cheap! Loved JiJi's - ate there a few times for lunch! Delicious!

Waterslides were a blast!

Dining room food was good! No complaints there with the American Table menu. Felt really bad for our waiter. This is where you can see cut backs for sure!

Met a lot of great, friendly people from all over! And also encountered some really RUDE people!

All in all, no complaints! It was a great vacation. Not really sure how anyone can complain when you're on vacation in the sunshine with great people!

Thanks for the update on the Sunshine! Will be on her in about 33 days, our third time, lol. Glad to hear about them monitoring the chairhogs, they just need to be more consistent with their policies, and everyone would be happy. Also good to hear the live entertainment is still going strong. We loved the Sunshine and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her regardless of other reviews. Sounds like you had a great time and glad that the virus seems to have cleared up. :D

I think this itinerary is the same as the one I am booked on soon.

How were the ports? What excursions or self-made trips did y'all do?

And any ship specials we should know about before boarding?

Thanks

Thanks for the report! I'll be on her at the end of this month! I'm really glad to hear that the band is good...because listening to music is our favorite thing to do after dinner.

Ours too!! It was a welcome pleasure!! Have a great cruise!!

Thank you for the update! We sail on the sunshine March 26th. So looking forward to it. Any suggestions on excursions?

Pittypat

What ports are you visiting?? I know the cruise after us were visiting different ports. We went to Aruba, Curacao and Grand Turk.

Thanks for the update on the Sunshine! Will be on her in about 33 days, our third time, lol. Glad to hear about them monitoring the chairhogs, they just need to be more consistent with their policies, and everyone would be happy. Also good to hear the live entertainment is still going strong. We loved the Sunshine and wouldn't hesitate to sail on her regardless of other reviews. Sounds like you had a great time and glad that the virus seems to have cleared up. :D

I would absolutely sail Sunshine again! I never understand the chair hog thing! Why wake up at the crack butt of dawn to throw a towel down and then not come back until noon! Just go get a chair when you get up. The early risers will probably be done with the sun by the time they get up again! UGH so frustrating. We saw at least 10 chairs in a row at the glass on deck 10 looking down onto Lido with towels for about 3 hours the first sea day! I wanted to throw their stuff overboard!

The staff really worked hard to clean that ship and loved that they were stopping people to stick their hands in the automatic hand wash thingy before entering certain areas! They need those things in schools! Have a great cruise!

I think this itinerary is the same as the one I am booked on soon.

How were the ports? What excursions or self-made trips did y'all do?

And any ship specials we should know about before boarding?

Thanks

Not sure if it's the same but in Aruba we went took a tour with Sunny Tours. Aruba wasn't at all of what I pictured in my head! It was very dry desert landish! LOL We went to the other side of the island to see the natural bridge that collapsed, visited the chapel, etc. Then went to Moomba Beach Bar on Eagle Beach for the remainder of the night! It was beautiful there.

Curacao we booked a tour with Irie Tours which was great! Curacao was beautiful! And the guys in the group did a deep sea fishing trip!

Grand Turk we rented golf carts and visited a couple of local places on the beach then to Jack's Shack which was packed and they couldn't keep up with the food which was disappointing!

Did they have a steel drum band/guy on Lido at any point?

No steel drum band/guy on Lido at all!! Just the usual DJ!

I have to say Donkey the cruise director was a riot! He did a great job!

Not sure if it's the same but in Aruba we went took a tour with Sunny Tours. Aruba wasn't at all of what I pictured in my head! It was very dry desert landish! LOL We went to the other side of the island to see the natural bridge that collapsed, visited the chapel, etc. Then went to Moomba Beach Bar on Eagle Beach for the remainder of the night! It was beautiful there.

Curacao we booked a tour with Irie Tours which was great! Curacao was beautiful! And the guys in the group did a deep sea fishing trip!

Grand Turk we rented golf carts and visited a couple of local places on the beach then to Jack's Shack which was packed and they couldn't keep up with the food which was disappointing!

Same stops... I'll look into these. Thanks

We were on the same cruise and had an AMAZING time!! We had a party of 13 (7 of which were 1st time cruisers).

I agree w OP...Aruba was much dryer than I thought. Loved Curaçao. Grand Turk was so much fun! We just walked off the pier and stayed at Margarita Ville. Water was so clear and beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All in all, no complaints! It was a great vacation. Not really sure how anyone can complain when you're on vacation in the sunshine with great people!

Thanks for your notes. We will be on her in April for our 3rd B2B on her and have thoroughly enjoyed our last two. Looking forward to the Journey leg.

No steel drum band/guy on Lido at all!! Just the usual DJ!

I have to say Donkey the cruise director was a riot! He did a great job!

Thanks for your review. Quick question though- was the music really loud and how long was the DJ on the Lido deck? The steel drums would have been great!

Thanks for your review. Quick question though- was the music really loud and how long was the DJ on the Lido deck? The steel drums would have been great!

We didn't really sit on lido very much but when we were down there for food or drinks I didn't find it over the top loud! Sat behind it on deck 10 and couldn't hear it much at all. And barely on serenity either. I agree steel drums are great. Hoping they'll be back next time we cruise!