Car rental for the day instead of taxi or shore excursions in Carribean?

anka-morfin

Hi all,

We're visiting Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Antigua during our cruise this November. I was wondering if it might save money and be more convenient and informative for 4 adults and 2 kids if we rent a car instead of shore excursions or taxis and go see what we want and then visit beaches ourselves. We don't like shopping and we have mixed age group from 2 to 65 so need to be flexible and be able to go and come back as we please.

Is it tricky? Are there rentals right by the ports? Do you need car seats for short trips? Are there issues with parking at the beaches or a lot of hidden fees or safety issues?

As far as San Juan we just wanted to walk around the town. Any input about the rest of the ports?

Edited by anka-morfin

Do you normally drive on the left or right?

How are you driving an American car on narrow, twisty mountain roads on the left hand side? St Thomas is like this.

Could hire a driver for the day.

Edited by SadieN

A guidebook will tell you where beaches are...transportation options, everything you need to know to DIY!!! Research your ports. There is no need for excursions if a beach is what you want! You don't need to do a car rental, either...that will eat up about 1-2 hours of your day, picking up and returning the vehicle!

Get the guidebook, read it, then you will have all sorts of ideas on how to spend your port time! Libraries have guidebooks!

I've never been tempted to drive in the Caribbean. There are safety issues--curvy roads in not great shape, different laws, and of course driving on the opposite side of the road than we're used to driving. Add in the fact that car rental employees will know you have a ship to catch and you'll probably end up paying for damage that already existed (or doesn't exist). A rental car also makes you a target.

A guidebook will tell you where beaches are...transportation options, everything you need to know to DIY!!! !

Thank you. so are there usually good public transportation options? Or taxi? I'm trying to understand whether it will be cheaper to do driver with a car for the whole day?

Where did you hire them? Right in port? By recommendation? Any suggestions??

Since the taxis are not metered you can usually negotiate a rate ..... there is typically a taxi stand or dispatcher .... just let it be known you'd like to hire a car for the day ....

Amber Cove is "new" so I can't say how things are there. But I've visited Puerto Plata by ship many times and was always able to arrange a car with little problem

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thank you so much. I assume that will be cheaper for the day than buying excursions for 6 people right?

What are usual rates for the day? Like 150 would be good? Or not enough?

Also are there car seat rules? We have a 2-year old that we're willing to bring car seat for. But when we were in St. Lucia, none of the taxi drivers had a car seat and we were riding and just holding the kid in our arms

I am fairly adventurous regarding driving, afterall, I live is a city with the worst drivers in the country. That being said, I would not even contemplate trying to drive in any of the ports in the Caribbean that we have been in. The conditions are incredibly bad and dangerous for non-locals. Negotiate a rate for a cab by the day instead.

Doc :eek:

You convinced me of not driving!

Are the cab drivers knowledgeable enough? How much would you suggest for a daily rate? we'd love to hire a cab with a nice driver who knows the island and beaches and won't push stuff on us you know (like I know sometimes they will take you places and persuade you to buy things that you don't need), I need to have a chance to explore on our own. Are there any web-sites or places where I can find recommendations for certain drivers?

You convinced me of not driving!

Are the cab drivers knowledgeable enough? How much would you suggest for a daily rate? we'd love to hire a cab with a nice driver who knows the island and beaches and won't push stuff on us you know (like I know sometimes they will take you places and persuade you to buy things that you don't need), I need to have a chance to explore on our own. Are there any web-sites or places where I can find recommendations for certain drivers?

Hi there

Renting cars aren't as bad as some others feel, but you really need to do some homework. Personally I have rented cars in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. With 2 couples it was the best option for us.

Taxis are great as tour guides. Again you need to do some research.

I see that you are new to Cruise Critic...so welcome.

This is the website to get the recommendations that you are looking for.

When you get to the Message Board Forums go down the page. You will see "Port of Calls", "Caribbean". If you click this link you will find a link for each of the islands you will be visiting.

Go to each island link and ask there for opinions. You will get many recommendations as well as prices that people have paid recently.

You can also look for the "Roll Call" link for your particular cruise. Here you can speak with people who will be on the same ship that you will be on. They will be doing the same research you are and may have already found answers to questions that you may have.

This is a very good site. You don't say if you are an experienced cruiser or not. If not you should read up as much as possible, especially on the links for the specific cruise line you are sailing with.

have a great cruise

Thank you for your reply! And for help with forum. I tried to do search on it but I guess my search was too broad. I'll definitely check the

Info on specific islands.

It's our second cruise but the first one to carribean . We've been to Saint Lucia for week so we know the road conditions there. We used to pay 80 bucks for the day for our guest house owner to take us places. If we can do that on other islands that would be great. Will spare us the nerve of driving and renting :) it would be just nice to have referrals

Just make sure you rent the car with there maximum insurance coverage. Most of these place and Mexico will jail you until and damage is paid for and they don't like USA insurance.

WOAH - that is a sweeping generalization there. JAIL you? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

https://www.mexicomike.com/driving/accidents_tickets.html

Also, if you learn to search the internet you will find many stories.

Your sarcasm and rudeness aside, do you have anything for the Caribbean? Mexico is not the Caribbean, and you claim "Most of these place and Mexico will jail you until and damage is paid for...".

https://www.mexicomike.com/driving/accidents_tickets.html

Also, if you learn to search the internet you will find many stories.

I am sure you can find "many stories" on many topics. The fact is, renting a car from a responsible agency - like Hertz, Avis or Coastal, to name just a few - and taking the same precautions as you would renting a car in the States, you should be fine. I have rented a number of times: in St. Thomas and Antigua (drive left), St. Maarten and, yes, even Mexico -- no problem.

I have rented a number of times: in St. Thomas and Antigua (drive left), St. Maarten and, yes, even Mexico -- no problem.

Absolutely, as have we. Never a problem. If there were to be a problem and we had declined the additional insurance coverage, our credit card would have been charged. We certainly wouldn't have been carted off to jail. :p

I am sure you can find "many stories" on many topics. The fact is, renting a car from a responsible agency - like Hertz, Avis or Coastal, to name just a few - and taking the same precautions as you would renting a car in the States, you should be fine. I have rented a number of times: in St. Thomas and Antigua (drive left), St. Maarten and, yes, even Mexico -- no problem.

Thank you. So basically there are Avis etal available in all the above mentioned ports? I've never cruised to these islands so have no idea! Where to look for them? Right there? Is it better to contact in advance or can you just come on cruise day and rent from there?

I'm not very good at researching the internet because I have to do it in the middle of the night when kids are finally in bed , work is done and I'm exhausted :( Sometimes I can't think strainght . I even booked wrong flights before being tired like that :( So any sincere advice is appreciated.

Basically I'm new to cruising period-it'sonly our second cruise and first one was to Canada. So the perks associated with cruiising and renting cars are not familiar to me. Especially with little kids. I'm not a pro in travelling with kids inthe first place. That's why all the questions/

Thank you. So basically there are Avis etal available in all the above mentioned ports? I've never cruised to these islands so have no idea! Where to look for them? Right there? Is it better to contact in advance or can you just come on cruise day and rent from there?

I'm not very good at researching the internet because I have to do it in the middle of the night when kids are finally in bed , work is done and I'm exhausted :( Sometimes I can't think strainght . I even booked wrong flights before being tired like that :( So any sincere advice is appreciated.

In st. Maarten, Hertz has an agency at the cruise terminal - they will take you a few blocks to pick up the car. Avis is only at the airport. A local agency, Coastal, is reliable - and less expensive than Hertz (who probably rely on the recognition of their name by American cruise passengers to charge much more).

I would suggest booking on line in advance to ensure availability - especially if you are there on a busy day with many ships in.