Underwater Cameras

ambelk

Which cameras are the best for using underwater? My family and I are going on a southern Caribbean cruise in July. We are doing a couple of snorkeling excursions. We will also be using it for regular photo opportunities. I am not looking to break the bank but thought I would check here for suggestions. We have never been on a cruise and we can't wait!

Which cameras are the best for using underwater? My family and I are going on a southern Caribbean cruise in July. We are doing a couple of snorkeling excursions. We will also be using it for regular photo opportunities. I am not looking to break the bank but thought I would check here for suggestions. We have never been on a cruise and we can't wait!

I've been curious about this as well.

There aren't any moderate prices camera that are water proof . Most are water resistant . For use in water you'll need a waterproof housing to hold the camera . They aren't easy to find or very cheap to buy.

Others might some ideas as well.

Having this same conversation with my hubby. I have a Nikon DSLR which I don't want to take on our shore excursions as we are doing beach/sailing/snorkel type activities. He and I are looking at these three point-and-shoot cameras:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6D - $199

Olympus TG-860 - $239

Olympus TG-4 - $350

I have done research and all 3 cameras I found are waterproof up to 43ft (great for snorkeling!) and can withstand drops up to 6 feet. They are also sealed against dust and dirt.

Olympus TG-4 is the best but it's pretty expensive at $350.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6D is runner up in most categories and more reasonably priced at $199 on Amazon. I like the Olympus TG-860 because it has better image quality than the Panasonic and it has a articulating LCD screen (so you can flip it up and take selfies or see above a crowd)

Reviews:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/olympus-tg-4-review

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-tg-860/olympus-tg-860A.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcts6

Edited by weebo

Having this same conversation with my hubby. I have a Nikon DSLR which I don't want to take on our shore excursions as we are doing beach/sailing/snorkel type activities. He and I are looking at these three point-and-shoot cameras:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6D - $199

Olympus TG-860 - $239

Olympus TG-4 - $350

I have done research and all 3 cameras I found are waterproof up to 43ft (great for snorkeling!) and can withstand drops up to 6 feet. They are also sealed against dust and dirt.

Olympus TG-4 is the best but it's pretty expensive at $350.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS6D is runner up in most categories and more reasonably priced at $199 on Amazon. I like the Olympus TG-860 because it has better image quality than the Panasonic and it has a articulating LCD screen (so you can flip it up and take selfies or see above a crowd)

Reviews:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/olympus-tg-4-review

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-tg-860/olympus-tg-860A.HTM

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmcts6

I got a Panasonic Lumix. Only issues I have with it is that the response time from "turn on" to "take picture" is much slower than my old Kodak point and shoot.

That and the battery that came with it was bad and we didn't catch it until it messed up the contact point inside the camera. Now it sometimes just turns itself off randomly.

That being said, I love having it. Previously (until we started cruising more) I had been purchasing the disposable waterproof cameras (usually Fuji) to use when I needed a waterproof camera.

I've had a few versions of the Olympus Tough cameras. Love them! My current is the TG-3. It takes great video and pictures.

The one thing I love is that is has WiFi, so you can download the Olympus app on your smart phone and use it as a remote control for the camera - great when you are using the timer - no need to set the timer and run frantically back to get in the shot. :) You can also load pics from the camera right to your phone.

Mine comes with three underwater settings. I usually use the basic setting. From what I remember I think the flash is set to go off automatically. The one thing I've learned is to turn it off, otherwise all the little particles in the water show up as backscatter.

Here's a few examples from our last trip to Fiji:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Pentex, Canon, Olympus, Nikon & GoPro all make waterproof cameras. Click on the link below for a quick review of ten waterproof cameras ...

http://https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-waterproof-cameras?id=adw&gclid=COPCgs6Py8sCFYqDfgodwCoMBQ

I have used Pentex and Canon waterproof cameras with good results ...

IMGP1112_zpsk807jg24.jpg

IMGP1143_zpsfeykyp4e.jpg

TY_zps434488a1.jpg

Gua3_zps8d887884.jpg

D7-5.jpg

D7-6.jpg

Skip the cameras...buy a life proof case for your phone...and I would also recommend getting the life jacket too so it floats. I love mine! Take your phone under water! Even take video underwater

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix S33 for about $100. It's easy to use, has lots of photo options, and is watertight to 33 feet deep. I've only water tested it, and haven't been snorkeling with it yet. I have been testing it under various conditions, since I'm hoping to only have to take one camera. So far I have been very pleased, but it doesn't have image stabilization for videos. I'll probably just use my iPhone for videos though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I got a Panasonic Lumix. Only issues I have with it is that the response time from "turn on" to "take picture" is much slower than my old Kodak point and shoot.

That and the battery that came with it was bad and we didn't catch it until it messed up the contact point inside the camera. Now it sometimes just turns itself off randomly.

That being said, I love having it. Previously (until we started cruising more) I had been purchasing the disposable waterproof cameras (usually Fuji) to use when I needed a waterproof camera.

I bought one about 4 years ago and it has done well. My only gripe is the small screen. I use a mask with corrective lens and I can't focus on the camera screen at arms length but that is no fault of the camera.

Works well out off water too.

P1000076.jpg.412f1a683ad600f0e3f40a16433a96bd.jpg

Edited by clackey

How about a super inexpensive disposable waterproof camera? Do they do the trick?

You'll get a picture. The quality of the picture will not be as good as a more expensive camera. The quality of the lens is important to picture quality.

I have an upcoming family cruise in joy and needed 4 cameras.

I did the craigslist thing and got 4 decent underwater camera for about $40 each. Two Fuji, one Olympus and one Nikon. I took one one of the Fuji on a test run to Mexico last month. It worked great and took decent shots underwater.

For $120 I got 4 barely used cameras that all work well. Even if they are only used for the upcoming cruise, it's money well spent.

I have an upcoming family cruise in joy and needed 4 cameras.

I did the craigslist thing and got 4 decent underwater camera for about $40 each. Two Fuji, one Olympus and one Nikon. I took one one of the Fuji on a test run to Mexico last month. It worked great and took decent shots underwater.

For $120 I got 4 barely used cameras that all work well. Even if they are only used for the upcoming cruise, it's money well spent.

Nice!

I love the Fuji XP80- was not expensive, has been very durable, and takes great photos.

Agree - the Fuji XP waterproof cameras are great. You can get them on sale new for about $149. We've had them in the water up to the max recommended 2 hours at a time several times. They're very durable as well as waterproof, and take great pictures.

I bought myself an SJCAM 4000 last year so I could record my dives in the Red Sea. Looks very much like a go-pro, but at nowhere near the price! I paid around £35 ($50) for it and I think it's great.

I have used it for snorkelling, Scuba (down to around 20 metres). You can also use it as a general purpose action cam (used mine whilst quad biking). It has a car mode, so can easily be used as a dash-cam.

Its 12 mega pixels and records in 1080p. The waterproof case comes with it and there a LOTS of attachments you can buy for it also.

My 3 year old Panasonic Lumix which has only been used underwater a few times and used per instructions leaked in Grand Cayman during our cruise a couple weeks ago. :( We were able to dry it out and it still works as a camera but we are in the market for a new one. Will probably try a different brand this time.