?s on train from Bristol to london

mina

We will be taking the train from Bristol temple meads to charging cross London on Monday June 6. My questions are, I can get two first class tickets for 71 pounds by advance ordering. Is it worth it to take first class? My dh and I want to sit together, are the first class seats single rows? Would it be better to take standard to get two seats in a row together? We will need to transfer to the tube at paddington. How difficult is it to make the transfer as we will not know what we are doing and will be carrying a roller suitcase and backpack each. The advanced purchase ticket is limited to a specific train and time. So, when we transfer to the tube do we only have a certain amount of time to do so? Thank you.

We will be taking the train from Bristol temple meads to charging cross London on Monday June 6. My questions are, I can get two first class tickets for 71 pounds by advance ordering. Is it worth it to take first class? My dh and I want to sit together, are the first class seats single rows? Would it be better to take standard to get two seats in a row together? We will need to transfer to the tube at paddington. How difficult is it to make the transfer as we will not know what we are doing and will be carrying a roller suitcase and backpack each. The advanced purchase ticket is limited to a specific train and time. So, when we transfer to the tube do we only have a certain amount of time to do so? Thank you.

Not sure where you're headed in London, but there's a slower but cheaper train that takes an extra hour and ends at London Waterloo (instead of Paddington). If where you're going in London is closer to Waterloo, this might actually be a better option.

It's also available on megabus.com (who sell cheap bus/train tix) for rediculously cheap (although not out to that date just yet).

Waterloo is nearer to Charing Cross but you would still have to take the tube for a couple of stops. Given that you can get a direct tube train from Paddington to Charing Cross on the Bakerloo line, it would still be quicker to go from Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington. I presume that you are staying somewhere in central Bristol as you are going from Temple Meads. If you were in north Bristol it would be even quicker to go from Bristol Parkway.

Tickets are never tied to particular trains on the tube.

Edited by aquilegia

Scottbee, we are staying at a hotel at charging cross. Would Waterloo be closer?

I missed the Charing Cross bit. Yes, it's a tiny bit closer, but the big difference is the price (quite a bit cheaper). It's entirely up to you...

First class carriages always have twin seats as well as singles. If you book 2 seats on one booking, you will be allocated two together, either side by side or facing each other across a table.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Given that you can get a direct tube train from Paddington to Charing Cross on the Bakerloo line, it would still be quicker to go from Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington.
It's worth noting, though, that Bakerloo Line trains will not stop at Paddington from Saturday 2 April 2016 until mid-August 2016. See https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2016/february/major-improvement-works-at-paddington-paves-the-way-for-crossrail for more information.

Than, you all for the input. We have decided to take the train from temple meads directly to paddington. Then, we will get a taxi to the hotel from there. This way we can see the city and hopefully get better orientation to the areas we will be walking during our stay. If we book a standard class ticket, will seats also be assigned?

For anyone travelling from or to Paddington towards Bristol and other stations in the west, it can be much cheaper to buy two train tickets, one from Paddington to Didcot Parkway, and then another from Didcot Parkway to (for example) Bristol.

You *MUST* catch a train that stops at Didcot Parkway, but roughly half the trains to and from Bristol do.

You don't need to get off the train at Didcot Parkway, but the train *MUST* stop there, not just pass through.

I am actually on that train today, paying half the price of a single ticket, by buying two!

We are planning a drive tour of England and Wales next year. Is Bristol worth a stop?

Definitely. Bristol is a very historic city with a vibrant harbour, which you can view on one of the regularv ferries. There is Brunel's SS Great Britain ship to visit, as well as a number of interesting museums, some of them very 'hands-on', and a cathedral. There is also the Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol Zoo and Clifton Downs, among other attractions.

Try a keep a look out for discounted advance tickets. These are available for both first and standard and they have reserved seats but you MUST travel on the train on your ticket otherwise they are worthless.

You can also book seat reservations with most other types of ticket, but normally if you miss that train you can just get on any other (although no reserved seats).

Trains can be hideously busy and its normal on some services at peak times to be completely full and you'll have nowhere to sit if you don't have a reservation. So the advantage with first class is that there are normally seats available on most services even if standard class is full.

I travel by train a *lot* and if i can get a good ticket price (advance or off peak) then I will do as I prefer to know I'll have somewhere to sit.

Train travel is quick, clean and convenient and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Try a keep a look out for discounted advance tickets. These are available for both first and standard and they have reserved seats but you MUST travel on the train on your ticket otherwise they are worthless.

You can also book seat reservations with most other types of ticket, but normally if you miss that train you can just get on any other (although no reserved seats).

Trains can be hideously busy and its normal on some services at peak times to be completely full and you'll have nowhere to sit if you don't have a reservation. So the advantage with first class is that there are normally seats available on most services even if standard class is full.

I travel by train a *lot* and if i can get a good ticket price (advance or off peak) then I will do as I prefer to know I'll have somewhere to sit.

Train travel is quick, clean and convenient and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thank you. I ordered our first class tickets from Bristol to paddington for 12:30 pm on a Monday. We have seats 14 and 15 facing each other. Am hoping this will be a less busy time as the price was quite low and referenced as off peak. It is a direct train so no changes. Am looking forward to the train ride!

Thank you. I ordered our first class tickets from Bristol to paddington for 12:30 pm on a Monday. We have seats 14 and 15 facing each other. Am hoping this will be a less busy time as the price was quite low and referenced as off peak. It is a direct train so no changes. Am looking forward to the train ride!

It's unlikely to be busy at that time of day, certainly not in first class. Anyone going up to London for work purposes is likely to have gone on a much earlier train.