Diamond Lounge - Age restrictions?

It was addressed by Adam Goldstein when they announced that children were going to be allowed in the CL during cocktail hour. But like everything Royal, enforcement varies.

But I am referring to the DL, did AG's announcement about CL bring up the DL rules as well?

Actually surprised that no one brought up last years entertaining thread on this matter, or did I miss it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179254

Also this is from the latest C&A benefit page on the Royal site. FWIW, it's rather easy to locate, not hidden deep in the bowels of the internets like another person posted.

6 Diamond Lounge is an exclusive benefit for only Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members and cannot be extended to include friends and family. Complimentary specialty coffees are only available in the dining room on days when breakfast is being served. On ships where a Diamond Lounge is available there will be no Nightly Special Diamond Event or complimentary Specialty coffees available in the dining room. Open to guests 21 years of age and older. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times).

Interesting that it lists the age as 21 and does not specify the happy hour times

Edited by John&LaLa

But I am referring to the DL, did AG's announcement about CL bring up the DL rules as well?...

Yes, I should have been more specific. When Goldstein mentioned the changing rules in the CL, he said that the DL would retain age restriction during cocktail hours.

Of course, when Goldstein announced the charge for late night room service, he also said there would be a free food venue open during the midnight to 5am period, and this it not the case on many ships.

I have tried uploading this letter in prior threads but it's so small you can't read it. Someone suggested using photobucket, which I then tried, but I still don't think you can read it. Let's try again.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/LisaGoeke/Freedom%20of%20the%20Seas%20cruise/Diamond%20Club%20FOS.jpg

541886112_diamondloungecapture.jpg.98b896732187e6a00faf65171f133803.jpg

I have tried uploading this letter in prior threads but it's so small you can't read it. Someone suggested using photobucket, which I then tried, but I still don't think you can read it. Let's try again.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/LisaGoeke/Freedom%20of%20the%20Seas%20cruise/Diamond%20Club%20FOS.jpg

Looks good

I can read it fine, thanks!

I could easily see the decision resting on how crowded the DL is expected to be on any given cruise. Have been on some cruises (such as in early Sept.) where it's almost empty. Other times, you can't find a seat in the DL for most of the night-- and especially prior to the early seating dinner. In my experience, enforcement tends to be stricter when it's crowded, although that's not universally true.

If they're expecting the DL to be full, they may decide that if even 1/4 of the DLers bring 2 kids each, they'll quickly run out of seats. That, in turn, will tend to annoy DLers who can't find seats and see a bunch of 3-yr-olds taking up the chairs. My guess is that RCCL would rather annoy a few DLers with kids who can't come with them than a bunch of DLers who can't take advantage of their "perk" at all.

Thus, it's an easy rule to "flex" depending on capacity. IOW, the rule is there but is promulgated and enforced "as needed." Now, of course, one "solution" would be to expand the size of the DL but that's for another thread.

Yes, it is readable and clearly says that children are allowed if accompanied by an adult. Sounds very much like what others have suggested - that it is up to the discretion of the concierge.

Yes, it is readable and clearly says that children are allowed if accompanied by an adult. Sounds very much like what others have suggested - that it is up to the discretion of the concierge.

And therein lies the problem. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that sailing with limited numbers of Diamond and up is quickly ending. This could get even worse if D+ get reallocated to the DL. But that's another thread. ;)

And therein lies the problem. FWIW, I'm pretty sure that sailing with limited numbers of Diamond and up is quickly ending. This could get even worse if D+ get reallocated to the DL. But that's another thread. ;)

Depends on your perspective, whether you think it's a problem or not. I think it's preferable to give staff some discretion on how they run things, as a mandate from on-high doesn't always make sense for every situation. But if you highly value consistency and predictability, it could be a problem.

Depends on your perspective, whether you think it's a problem or not. I think it's preferable to give staff some discretion on how they run things, as a mandate from on-high doesn't always make sense for every situation. But if you highly value consistency and predictability, it could be a problem.

I don't really care one way or the other. My kids are grown and my grandsons have no status so they have no privileges anyway. I'd like to think that if I saw inappropriate behavior I would just bring it up to the Concierge.

BTW, here are a couple pictures of the Enchantment DL last Easter. Totally empty around 5:00. CL had a few, but mainly one group in a suite as I recall. So, I could see kids being welcome on a voyage like this. We will be on her the 1st of April and I can check.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Edited by John&LaLa

I wish, if people have to say "inappropriate" things they could *not* do it in public. Even though we are significantly older we don't really like to be exposed to inappropriate language or behavior. Of course, inappropriate is kind of a subjective term.

Tom

All I have to say is if you bring your children to a "happy hour" in the DL and hear inappropriate conversation, don't complain. It's no different than bringing them to a bar. I have only seen children a handful of times and that was mainly in EX, during the Diamond Event. I haven't seen kids in the DL on any ship since. I've seen a couple in the CL, right after the restriction was lifted/changed, but not many since. It used to be 18 and older only, but some complained. I've also heard vocal objections.

Thanks for posting this letter...just to let other's know we (you and I) had a basis for what we were posting..and that there is indeed more than one form letter that can be used at the discretion of the DL concierge. :)

Last week on Allure they actually had a staff member standing outside the DL stopping anyone with kids from entering from 5:00 - 6:30 every night. Easier to stop them from entering than having to ask them to leave.

I agree, that's a good way to do it.

Thanks for posting this letter...just to let other's know we (you and I) had a basis for what we were posting..and that there is indeed more than one form letter that can be used at the discretion of the DL concierge. :)

Thats interesting. Had a totally different copy in dec on the freedom. Mine states they were not allowed and they definitely stuck to it as my 9 month old was kicked out.

Correct.... this varies...Well behaved little ones can be welcomed....many of them are D's too....our grandchildren are and one is even a D+.

I have a say that I think that is great young children can reach that level so early. I only wish we can started cruising in the 80s when our brother tried to talk us into trying it.

Last week on Allure they actually had a staff member standing outside the DL stopping anyone with kids from entering from 5:00 - 6:30 every night. Easier to stop them from entering than having to ask them to leave.

We saw kids in the DL a few times on our B2B the last 2 weeks of February. There weren't many at a time but they were in there during cocktail hours. I wonder if they clamped down on this because there are many more kids on board due to spring breaks now?

I didn't have an issue with is - the kids were quiet and didn't stay long - I didn't allow my kids in there during those hours. Also, who is the current Concierge?

We saw kids in the DL a few times on our B2B the last 2 weeks of February. There weren't many at a time but they were in there during cocktail hours. I wonder if they clamped down on this because there are many more kids on board due to spring breaks now?

I didn't have an issue with is - the kids were quiet and didn't stay long - I didn't allow my kids in there during those hours. Also, who is the current Concierge?

Sorry we were only on the lounge twice for a short while and I can't remember who the concierge was.

I was kind of surprised that there was over 300 D's, 26 D+ and 6 Pinnacle on board during prime spring break season. The lounge was full yet not packed, there were even people sitting upstairs.

On our Christmas cruise on Oasis the lounge was very empty and kids were allowed in during happy hour.

Sorry we were only on the lounge twice for a short while and I can't remember who the concierge was.

I was kind of surprised that there was over 300 D's, 26 D+ and 6 Pinnacle on board during prime spring break season. The lounge was full yet not packed, there were even people sitting upstairs.

On our Christmas cruise on Oasis the lounge was very empty and kids were allowed in during happy hour.

No worries.

On our sailing there were similar numbers of C&A except there were 180 or so D+. I think the more experienced cruisers and empty nesters avoid the family favorite ships during march break periods. Lol