Solstice, sweet, suite life....RS

chemmo

We are to be in a RS in June and are SO looking forward to experiencing Celebrity and Alaska for the first time!

Does anyone know if there are electrical plugs at the head of the bed?

As a menopausal woman, I tend to run hot during the night and often travel with a very small fan - which needs to be plugged in close to the bed. (I find the most hotels these days have a plug available on the bedside lamps and this is ideal.)

Thanks in advance.

I can't remember the RS on S-Class for sure, but it will depend on which ship, but you will be hard pressed to find and outlet by the bed. Even on the newly refurbished PH on Infinity, when they updated the headboard, and even all the walls, they didn't add an outlet :(

We have found, except when there is a problem the AC has worked very well.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We are to be in a RS in June and are SO looking forward to experiencing Celebrity and Alaska for the first time!

Does anyone know if there are electrical plugs at the head of the bed?

As a menopausal woman, I tend to run hot during the night and often travel with a very small fan - which needs to be plugged in close to the bed. (I find the most hotels these days have a plug available on the bedside lamps and this is ideal.)

Thanks in advance.

Speak to your butler/room attendant on boarding and they will run an extension lead for you from the dresser and tape it down. Just phone through before going, however, and check they will allow you to bring your own fan on board.

As others have said, however, the air conditioning is very good and responds quickly.

When we briefly chatted to the Captain in Tuscan Grill my husband mentioned to him something I had always wanted to do but knew couldn't happen....well it did!

Leaving Suva will always remain my happiest cruise moment! I felt both honoured and deeply touched that the Captain would make a dream come true...

We are continuing to thoroughly enjoy our cruise. I unfortunately hurt my knee on leaving home which has curtailed excursions and activities. Whilst discomfort has to be a negative it has made us enjoy some aspects of our room and cruising more. For example, I have used the balcony jacuzzi whilst people watching in Suva, have spent time slowly walking around the lawn stopping off for rests at different vista points - normally we are so busy we miss so much!

Last night we dined again in Luminae. For us, we continue to find some of our Luminae dishes not to our taste but are aware many of our fellow Michael's Club guests are thoroughly enjoying. No menu will ever suit everyone. Our conceirge, Jole, printing off the menus at the start of the cruise enabled us to plan when to eat in Luminae and when to book one of the specialities. We made a plan and Lahiru booked our tables and reminds us when he serves coffee in the morning where we are dining that evening!

A couple became Zenith members this cruise. It was lovely to see the attention they received with a champagne reception with the Captain and officers in Michael's Club. We have also attended a few Captains Club events. Rose works really hard looking after all members, always with a wonderful smile on her face.

Sea day today, can cruising get any better?

Our next cruise is on the Eclipse in October. For service, care and attention to detail I don't know how the Eclipse could 'eclipse' this cruise!

Edited by chemmo

When we briefly chatted to the Captain in Tuscan Grill my husband mentioned to him something I had always wanted to do but knew couldn't happen....well it did!

Leaving Suva will always remain my happiest cruise moment! I felt both honoured and deeply touched that the Captain would make a dream come true...

What was it you got to do?

What was it you got to do?

It is awkward when you have been given a personalised treat to know how much to disclose on CC. You want others to know how accommodating and thoughtful the staff are but are conscious that what has been organised was just for you and some discretion should be maintained.

My treat was priceless to me. As I said a memory for ever. My reason for posting was, as I said, to inform fellow CC members just how thoughtful the staff on Solstice are and how they genuinely want every cruiser to have a really amazing vacation.

It is awkward when you have been given a personalised treat to know how much to disclose on CC. You want others to know how accommodating and thoughtful the staff are but are conscious that what has been organised was just for you and some discretion should be maintained.

My treat was priceless to me. As I said a memory for ever. My reason for posting was, as I said, to inform fellow CC members just how thoughtful the staff on Solstice are and how they genuinely want every cruiser to have a really amazing vacation.

I agree that Celebrity is usually accommodating and always thoughtful. It is important for Celebrity to make you feel special even if they have done the same thing for others. You have a memory and something you will always cherish. The particulars are not really as important to others as they are to you. Good for you.

I am so pleased you had the experience so special to you.

I fully understand what you mean about not feeling able to be specific about it. You will find it easier to speak about your special treat in the future when it will not be associated by others with a particular ship/captain/Roll Call or some sense of you feeling entitled [it can be seen that you do not expect similar things to happen on all your cruises]. It will be a pleasure to speak with other cruisers in that future. In the meantime, it will be an experience you will treasure.

We were on a RC cruise once when the conceirge arranged for a stage struck 10 year old to see the stage show rehearsals with her parents. The cast had been amazing with this little girl and even had her on the stage dancing with them. What was not nice was the scene at the conceirge desk the next day when two sets of parents were demanding their youngsters were entitled to the same treat!

I am sure that on this cruise many guests have been given special treats, perhaps some the same as mine....What I don't want to have happen is any other guests seeing a 'treat' as a 'right' which is what happened on the RC cruise....The conceirge could not expect the show staff on a regular basis to have children visiting, he had arranged it for one particular child who genuinely had a real interest and fascination.

We have never been offered such a personal treat before and I will board my next cruise without any expectation of receiving another!

As project gal says it 'has been an experience I will treasure'. Also, to quote Sue again 'in the future it will be a pleasure to share with others'.

It is very easy when you are travelling in a suite to focus on the suite specific dining options and forget how good some of the other offerings are!

We had burgers at mast grill the other day, really nice. Yesterday we had a small lunch in Oceanview cafe. We could have dined in Luminae or in Bistro but we just wanted a quick snack. As always the food was excellent and plenty of choice - staff were trying to clear tables fast...I just put a taster plate of Indian food together. Sometimes you do want a break from the more formal offerings.

Re drinks....

We love having the room bar set up! We don't use it a lot but it is great mid afternoon if you are in the room to just help yourself to a beer or soft drink or in the evening to take a brandy out on the balcony to watch the stars...

We have enjoyed some early morning coffees in Cafe al Bachio. We had seen some reports prior to our cruise that service here could be hit and miss but we have not had to wait more than a few minutes to be served. Our butler has also, on request, brought a few more coffees to our room.

Poolside - again we had read service could be quite slow....Again not our experience. The pool bars have been busy on sea days but the staff seem to manage to serve two people at the same time, mixing cocktails at the same time they are flicking lids off beer bottles! It has been nice to see excellent manners from guests at the bars too...as the waiters have turned around with their 'who is next please?' guests saying 'you are before me...' This was not our experience on Equinox when there did seem to be a few guests who were either reluctant to take turns or desperate for a drink!

Wine. I had tried to get some wine suggestions before boarding from CC. I did board with some specific names which were not available probably because we are in the South Pacific. At a couple of venues we have looked at the wine by the glass offerings and chosen one only to find it isn't available. On the positive side we have followed the advice of the sommeliers and not been disappointed. We have ordered some above the premium package price, some within...not sure if some of those above were that much better. We are not wine connoisseurs but we know what we like!

Mobility. Moving around the ship has been an issue for me this cruise, so thankful for the central room position! Press up on the elevator and I am poolside, press down, Michael's Club and the restaurants! As my leg has hurt quite a lot by the afternoon I have really enjoyed the balcony jacuzzi and the big, soft rattan chair....

Isle of pines today...

This cruise continues to be perhaps our best ever.

Surprising as our cruises are usually about destinations as well as the ship and with my temporary mobility issues that has not been the case. Our son and friends have really enjoyed the ports of call, the turtle bay tour being a highlight. For us, we have enjoyed the ship, the views, the weather and the service.

Last night we were invited to dine with the Captain at quite a traditional 'Captains Table' in the MDR. We met with the Zenith couple on our cruise and a fellow CC contributor! We were a very cheery crowd, a really lovely evening.

Tonight there is another Elite event on deck 14. It has been nice to enjoy some Captains Club events as well as Michael's Club. For our final meal tonight we dine in Murano's. As 'regulars' this cruise they have agreed to prepare 'Steak Diane' for us. This was once prepared for us on the Millie in Olympic and remains one of our best meals ever...Looking forward to it!

Last night we were invited to dine with the Captain at quite a traditional 'Captains Table' in the MDR. We met with the Zenith couple on our cruise and a fellow CC contributor! We were a very cheery crowd, a really lovely evening.

Would you be able to get the new Zenith members to get in touch with me. I keep a list of the over 100 Zenith members and I would like to share their names if they are interested.

Arno's email

Would you be able to get the new Zenith members to get in touch with me. I keep a list of the over 100 Zenith members and I would like to share their names if they are interested.

Arno's email

I will look out for them in Michael's Club tonight and refer them to this post, they do follow CC and may read this and respond to you before I see them!

Our final meal in Murano's was wonderful, packing was as always a pain, saying goodbye to friends not easy but lessened by their hopeful visit to us next year and a 'reunion cruise' Spring 2018....

Disembarkation really easy, especially since we were told there was a strike!

I am now sat on my hotel balcony overlooking Solstice in Sydney harbour drink in hand.....

As there have been so many reports recently re Solstice I will keep my final comments re the sweet, suite life...

Our holiday was made very special by the staff including our wonderful butler, Michael's Club host, Captains Club host and the Captain. With my temporary mobility issues this cruise it could have been a bit of a disappointment if so many people had not looked after us so well.

Drinks packages..... Loved the room bar set up, coffee shop, a few nice cocktails. Did we get value for money? Probably not but we enjoyed it. Wine, despite my efforts to plan, the cruise remained a trust your sommelier re what to drink....We had a mix of wines within and above package and if we are honest we could not tell much difference...We never had a bad wine but never an outstanding one.

Dining.....OK we are not great Luminae fans...

The breakfast menu was fine but not exceptional. English bacon ran out, fruit plates were big but rather boring and my request for some berries was acknowledged but the meagre little dish was fairly pitiful....

Lunch was too heavy for us...We usually want a light soup and a simple salad. One sea day we ate on menu and regretted it as it spoiled our evening meal, on another I did ask for a salad as an alternative but was aware I could have easily gone in the Oceanview and mixed myself a far more interesting one to eat on my balcony.....We happily used room service, Oceanview and even the mast bar one day as alternatives.

We had three evening meals in Luminae. None were awful, but non were memorable. We found the sauce flavours heavy on meat. On pasta dishes we found the portions of pasta too large but with portions of protein small - I had one fettuccine dish which was massive but there were only four prawns! To my mind they should have been the stars.

The saving grace of Luminae to us was the service which generally was excellent although one of the waiters did loose them points by trying to tell us American bacon was English.....

On another cruise we would use Luminae as we have on this, as one of several dining options - we would not view it as our main dining option, however.

Very aware our views on Luminae are contrary to others...some of our cruise mates really loved Luminae! I guess it is all just a matter of personal taste...So I will finish my comments by saying it just isn't our favourite. I do wish they would use the menu as a tool for communication, however, very hard without questioning your waiter to even know what you are ordering some days!

Speciality restaurants. Great time in all three. We know the menus have remained static for some time but they remain pleasant venues to dine on good food with excellent service. Extra points for Murano's who were happy to extend their existing menu for 'regulars'. Our timing and seating preferences were noted in all venues.

The room. The RS remains a great room with a good balcony, bathroom, bedroom and living space. Room to entertain and relax.

And finally....Laundry! We were told at the start of the cruise it was the coupon system. I did, as I knew I would, go over on pressed items and filled in the appropriate laundry slips (not massively over, just a couple of garments...). On checking final bill we were not charged for these. Makes me wander if when they said 'unlimited' laundry some guests were unreasonable, perhaps expecting same day return, putting in loads of items? It only takes a few guests to disrupt things...So I am guessing as long as your requests are not over the top your laundry requests will be met free of charge...

I will over the next weeks return from writer to reader as we find out all we can on the Eclipse and prepare for our next cruise...

My wine is chilling to toast Solstice as she leaves the harbour. Happy sailing to all those presently boarding and her wonderful staff....

And finally....Laundry! We were told at the start of the cruise it was the coupon system. I did, as I knew I would, go over on pressed items and filled in the appropriate laundry slips (not massively over, just a couple of garments...). On checking final bill we were not charged for these. Makes me wander if when they said 'unlimited' laundry some guests were unreasonable, perhaps expecting same day return, putting in loads of items? It only takes a few guests to disrupt things...So I am guessing as long as your requests are not over the top your laundry requests will be met free of charge...

I said that I would forget about the laundry issue but I think that you may have hit the nail on the head.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Thinking of you sitting on the balcony with a view. And safe journey home.

I said that I would forget about the laundry issue but I think that you may have hit the nail on the head.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Thinking of you sitting on the balcony with a view. And safe journey home.

Thanks Sue,

Trying not to think of all the flying...our next two cruises are now on Eclipse out of Southampton....the thought of not flying half way around the world for a cruise is bliss.

You just have to put up with all those darn Brits onboard;)

Phil

But we do get a kettle in our room!!!

Got to say that this cruise 'down under' has been very relaxing for us, no one seems to be in a rush...waiting for a drink, no issue...

As I said after years of cruising world wide this will be different. Hopefully they will also not run out of English bacon!

The breakfast menu was fine but not exceptional. English bacon ran out, fruit plates were big but rather boring and my request for some berries was acknowledged but the meagre little dish was fairly pitiful....

Lunch was too heavy for us.

We were on the Eclipse and Silhouette in February, March this year in suites and my wife and I probably had mixed berries every morning for breakfast and it was only on the last day or so on the 14 night Eclipse cruise that there was any reduction in choice or quantity. On the Silhouette the supply lasted until the last morning (no Blueberries left). It surprised me that the portions were small. I asked for this as the fruit plate on each ship was enormous.

I have to agree that the lunchtime food is too large and heavy. We quite enjoyed the port days when we could go to Bistro as the plates there were more manageable.

We were on the Eclipse and Silhouette in February, March this year in suites and my wife and I probably had mixed berries every morning for breakfast and it was only on the last day or so on the 14 night Eclipse cruise that there was any reduction in choice or quantity. On the Silhouette the supply lasted until the last morning (no Blueberries left). It surprised me that the portions were small. I asked for this as the fruit plate on each ship was enormous.

I have to agree that the lunchtime food is too large and heavy. We quite enjoyed the port days when we could go to Bistro as the plates there were more manageable.

When we were on the Equinox as Luminae opened we almost felt 'obliged' to eat there and obviously were curious about their offerings. This cruise has been more about deciding what we want to eat and then choosing a venue. Some days both breakfast and lunch we have simply gone to Oceanview and made a nice mixed salad, a small selection of Indian food, a sandwich....we have then taken them back to the room and made the most of the balcony...

Safely back from the land down under....

Just a few final comments re our recent cruise.

Research. Now retired we had great fun planning our cruise. For months before I followed posts on Solstice in particular and suite life in general. Great fun! In addition to thoroughly researching our cruise we also looked at a wider range of hotels and airlines rather than stick to favourites. This really paid off both financially and in terms of quality. Our Etihad business flights were excellent both ways, cheaper than our usual preferred lines, new planes A380 one way 787 Dreamliner the other with older 777 flights from Abu Dhabi. Service and food excellent. Our hotel pre and post cruise was the Grand Pullman Quay which in on the quay itself looking over the harbour. Whereas in other hotels you may have a quay facing room, in this hotel you had a balcony with table and chairs and could just sit out and enjoy the sights and sounds. We were worried that it could be noisy but once your window shut the only sound that penetrated was the occasional ferry or train toot. The suite comprised of a good sized bedroom with views, living room with sofa bed and full kitchen including washer drier full sized windows with door to the balcony, good sized bathroom with corner jacuzzi bath and separate shower. We did not expect to use the kitchen but once we had sat out on that balcony we chose a couple of nights to buy food, wine and beer from a nearby supermarket (just easy stuff like pizza, salad garlic bread....) and just relax 'at home' - our view rivalled that of any bar/restaurant. We will seriously look for this hotel chain again.

On board. We continued to really enjoy the suite life product. As we thoroughly enjoy the RS room on S class and the additional perks for higher suites (unlimited speciality dining, in room bar set up...) we will continue to book with X and in RS or PH.

The future.....Our next three cruises booked, another being considered! Looking forward to researching Eclipse now for our next two cruises. Following 'Project gal' and others comments our second Eclipse will be in the PH....I hope it does not spoil us too much as we have always been so happy in the S class R suite!

Writing this just after 3am....No jet lag from Southampton either.......

Edited by chemmo

Safely back from the land down under....

Writing this just after 3am....No jet lag from Southampton either.......

Glad you arrived home safely with jet lag the only ill effect!

I hope that we meet up on a cruise some day as I feel we know each other already!

Glad you arrived home safely with jet lag the only ill effect!

I hope that we meet up on a cruise some day as I feel we know each other already!

Yes...would be nice.

Canaries, Eclipse Oct this year RS, Fjords Spring 2017 PH owing to your descriptions! Changed to this from another itinerary. I am sure I will be posting questions to you, and others, over the next months about how to make the most of the S class PH.

As I stated in my last post we really are looking forward to a couple of cruises without long flights....One of the things we have found post retirement is at last we have the time and timing flexibility to do our 'bucket list' cruises but we would love to have the stamina we had twenty years ago!

So if there are any 30/40 year olds reading this thinking of doing something special, do it!