Planning 3 years in advance for our 60th

soley

Hi all

I know this is way way in advance but myself and my husband turn 60 in 2018 and 19 and want to start planning a cruise. We are looking at Australia (I know we cant book that far in advance) but as this will be a one off special cruise we want to start looking at ports and excursions ect, so when booking is available we will have a good idea what we are looking for, so any advise, hints and tips would be welcome.

We will be traveling from the UK and have never been to Australia so will be complete novices to the country

I think you will find a number of people who book well in advance. We certainly do. We have two more trips booked for this year and two for next. We have plans for another cruise next year, but are waiting for it to be released for booking. We also have plans for two trips in 2018.

If you have the time (and budget:D), I would suggest a circumnavigation of Australia cruise. There are not too many of these but they give you a great idea of the different coastal areas of this vast country. Princess, Holland America, and sometimes Cunard (in conjunction with a world voyage) do these from time to time. There may be other lines I am not familiar with.

Also, if you possibly can, an overland trip to the Outback will show you a different view of Australia. Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Coober Pedy (and their underground houses), and Alice Springs among other sights are well worth visiting.

It is a long journey to Australia so try to take in as much as you can.

Enjoy your planning!

Hey, Soley,

You might find it helpful to look at a live blog thread on the Celebrity page, by NorbertsNiece. She has just completed a circumnavigation of Australia on Celebrity Solstice, with a couple of side trips at the end. I'm sorry , I'm technologically illiterate and can't give you a direct link to her blog, but some clever person might help out! Failing that, you'll find it if you search the Celebrity forum for it.

Cheers.

Hey, Soley,

You might find it helpful to look at a live blog thread on the Celebrity page, by NorbertsNiece. She has just completed a circumnavigation of Australia on Celebrity Solstice, with a couple of side trips at the end. I'm sorry , I'm technologically illiterate and can't give you a direct link to her blog, but some clever person might help out! Failing that, you'll find it if you search the Celebrity forum for it.

Cheers.

Great ill try and see what I can find - thank you

:D

Hey, Soley,

Cheers.

I think this would be a great cruise.

I just watched a program on the Solstice earlier today.

I would look at this one.

Keith

Hey, Soley,

Cheers.

Linda writes an outstanding blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313649

I've never been to Australia so can't help with that part but we are going on a med cruise in May that we booked a year ago. I NEVER book that far ahead and wanted to caution you not to make the mistake I made in jumping on an airfare or other non refundable things. I thought I'd made a great flight choice based on what was available when I booked and I did. The problem was better options came about after I was already committed. I booked sooner than I needed to and am now having to suck it up.

You are very smart to do tons of research before actually booking. Look at all cruiselines, look at all the different flight options and once you do book, keep checking for price drops or new promos.

Enjoy the planning and happy birthdays!

Thanks for the replies and I didn't know if I should plan it myself or go through an agent but by the sounds of it I would be better doing it myself - heres to the hours of research

And a circumnavigation that folks have mentioned doesn't have to be one cruise - it can be a back to back. We did that on the Radiance of the Seas a few years ago. Sydney to Perth "over the top" and then Perth to Sydney with 3 ports and a day of cruising the fjords in New Zealand and then back to Sydney. 34 days total - an incredible trip.

We've been to Australia twice independently when about your upcoming age. It's and EASY country for independent exploration.

From Qantas we purchased a five hop plan which allowed five flights anywhere in the country. And since they drive on the same 'wrong' side of the road as you, renting a car would be stress free.

We've only come to cruising later in life and love it, but for really enjoying a country, I don't believe you can beat living for at least a few days (we did a week in each of six cities) in a city.

Ruth

We've been to Australia twice independently when about your upcoming age. It's and EASY country for independent exploration.

From Qantas we purchased a five hop plan which allowed five flights anywhere in the country. And since they drive on the same 'wrong' side of the road as you, renting a car would be stress free.

We've only come to cruising later in life and love it, but for really enjoying a country, I don't believe you can beat living for at least a few days (we did a week in each of six cities) in a city.

Ruth

Sounds AMAZING - we love cruising

Definitely consider adding a land tour to the trip. Australia is a long way away and if this is to be a one time trip make it thoroughly worthwhile. We have been fortunate to go 4 times, twice land based and twice on a cruise but feel we have still loads to see. I did a couple of blogs just for friends and if you feel you have any specific questions I'm sure myself and others may be of help.

Enjoy the planning, it's half the fun.

Well as its in early planning stage, and I am still employed, Looking at maybe 3 weeks spending 2 or 3 days either side of cruise

OK, then what I was going to suggest wouldn't work at this time. :)

If you ever have the opportunity, New Zealand and Australia are wonderful countries to explore on your own. It is a long way to get there/ but definitely worth the travel.

Three weeks in New Zealand and a couple of months in Australia for starters.

I'd be very careful booking far in advance, and be sure to get excellent travel insurance.

I'm not sure exactly in the UK, but in the U.S. we get our deposit back if we have to cancel before final payment date. Then travel insurance would take over if we have to cancel after final payment and lose monies. I've read that in the UK you don't get your deposit back if you cancel.

I booked an Alaskan cruise for my husband and I 18 months out. Paid the deposit and airfare, but decided against insurance as the premium for the insurance was almost the same as the airfare. Fast forward a year and my husband had a stroke, so had to cancel the cruise. I did get my deposit back but lost the $900 in airfare.

I don't pay money now for anything that far in advance. Just too many variables that can happen. We are approximately 10 years older than you, but at our age one can never be sure what might happen.

I've done 7 weeks downunder and enjoyed it immensely about 20-25 years ago. At one point we even discussed moving there, but couldn't meet the requirements as retirees.

I hope your plan comes to fruition and you have a great cruise to Australia.

I'd be very careful booking far in advance, and be sure to get excellent travel insurance.

I'm not sure exactly in the UK, but in the U.S. we get our deposit back if we have to cancel before final payment date. Then travel insurance would take over if we have to cancel after final payment and lose monies. I've read that in the UK you don't get your deposit back if you cancel.

I booked an Alaskan cruise for my husband and I 18 months out. Paid the deposit and airfare, but decided against insurance as the premium for the insurance was almost the same as the airfare. Fast forward a year and my husband had a stroke, so had to cancel the cruise. I did get my deposit back but lost the $900 in airfare.

I don't pay money now for anything that far in advance. Just too many variables that can happen. We are approximately 10 years older than you, but at our age one can never be sure what might happen.

I've done 7 weeks downunder and enjoyed it immensely about 20-25 years ago. At one point we even discussed moving there, but couldn't meet the requirements as retirees.

This is a great example of why folks should get a travel savvy credit card like United Airlines Explorer VISA. Had the air tix been purchased with that card, they'd have been insured for covered costs.

We have not booked anything as 3 years is a long time ahead and you cant book flight till about 9 - 12 months in advance and cruises are not available for at lease another 18months I would imagine. we are planning stage. But thank you for you advise