Etiquette for children

ChristinaN

I agree with the no going into anyone else's cabin and no one else going into theirs. NO ONE!

No pushing and shoving.

No taking of preferred seats in the theater.

And the elusive "thank you" and "please" to all crew.

Thank you for all the responses. I won't accept any nonsense from the boys but I feel that its important to lay out your expectations ahead of time. However kids are still kids and I don't expect perfection.

I'm perturbed about the post being moved, I wasn't looking for suggestions from other parents but from cruisers in general. Even better if they don't have kids and have experienced awful behaviour from children, it will help me better prepare my kids.

I have an almost 18 yr old and a 14 yr old. Alas my oldest decided cruising wasn't for him and he would rather stay at home alone with the cats all week :rolleyes:

The best thing I ever drove into my kids minds I think was along the lines of a "think before you act" around that age. The way I did this was before you do something, decide if you it would be something you would /facepalm if you saw on the internet. This helped deter them from doing a lot of things! No young person wants to be in a video compilation of "stupid things people do" on YouTube.

I also let my kids know that just because they aren't doing something personally that they know is unacceptable to me (running around, being very loud, elevator buttons, "torturing" staff or other passengers), if others they are WITH are doing these things, they are guilty by association. This was brought on by seeing the quote "When good men do nothing, evil triumphs." by Edmund Burke and discussing it with them.

You sound like you have good kids and by letting them know your expectations then you should be all set, as long as you stick to them!

Start with the classic - "seen but not heard" Followed up with no swearing followed with yes sir and yes maam. Allow the adults to enter or exit first, hold the elevator door for the elderly or infirm.

I couldn't disagree more with "seen but not heard" ...that teaches kids that what they say doesn't matter or they shouldn't be saying it at all? Yikes.

I think you could talk about appropriate noise levels like inside voices vs pool voices. Paying attention to their surroundings as to not run into people or jump in front of them, this is a big one that I see with children a lot and I think tends to give a bad rap to "unattended children". But even some adults need a refresher on that.

Edited by Yellowbird75

Good manners start at home. Good manners, politeness, etiquette are 24/7 365 days a year. Or at least it should be.

In terms of vacation specific, my pet peeve is table manners. Your boys should know how to hold a knife and fork, how to order their own meals (don't order for them), chewing with their mouths closed, eating small bites and not stuffing their faces, sipping not gulping their drinks.

Life lessons, not vacation lessons :D

Its clear when I see some children in the MDR that they have no experience in a nice restaurant.

The next item, will be cruise-line specific, but teach them to follow the dress code, and if appropriate, dress for dinner and take pride in their appearance not to push the envelope and see if the get refused entry by pushing the envelope on the dress code.

Start with the classic - "seen but not heard" Followed up with no swearing followed with yes sir and yes maam. Allow the adults to enter or exit first, hold the elevator door for the elderly or infirm.

Oh my...what century is this?

We encourage our children to strike conversation with others, social skills are valuable assets.

And "sir" "ma'am" ? Where we live those are words only used if you are angry or being rude.

Entering/ exiting adults first? Never heard of this.

Agree on swearing and holding doors-but those rules should apply to everyone, not just kids.

OP: just have you kids behave in the same manner you expect at home and you'll be fine.