Oceania booking in Canadian :)

Cruise Junky

I've often wondered about the US credit card. I bank with Scotia and wouldn't touch them with a barge poll for foreign exchange. I have a place across the street that beats the pants off of them. Isn't buying US from your bank to

pay the bill defeating the purpose of saving the 2.5% cc fee? I suppose I could get cash from my regular exchange place and then pay the credit card bill in cash.

We are having to cancel our 10 day July cruise from Reykjavik (Nordic Quest) to Stockholm because of the low Cnd dollar. The cost is now $5000 more in Cnd than in US. We've waited to cancel because we were hoping the Cnd dollar would rally, and it has yo-yo'd a bit, no more than a penny here & there and nothing that would make any difference. It's especially disappointing as this was for our 45th anniversary. I see in the new 2017 and 2018 cruise listings that this cruise will not be offered again in this format. Our TA just said, "here's what you need to pay us in penalty fees, call me back to make the arrangements."

I'm sorry, that sucks

I've often wondered about the US credit card. I bank with Scotia and wouldn't touch them with a barge poll for foreign exchange. I have a place across the street that beats the pants off of them. Isn't buying US from your bank to

pay the bill defeating the purpose of saving the 2.5% cc fee? I suppose I could get cash from my regular exchange place and then pay the credit card bill in cash.

:confused::confused:

I have a TD USD VISA (no FTF if using it for USD) also the TD USD account in Canada

I buy USD from either TD or Tangerine the exchange rate is not too much different than the bank rate

I have a RB VISA which charges 2.5% hidden FTF if I use it for other then CAD currency purchases

Scotia Bank MC with NO FTF when using for purchases not in CAD

There are so many options

You just need to find one that works for you

Well, we are anxiously watching the exchange rate, hoping it will go up before final payment. Finally up a bit - it costs us $130 CAD to pay for $100 USD. It was even worse a while ago. And that hurts on O prices!

Indeed. Our upcoming Tauck cruise we're almost certain to cancel. Although right now as you say the rate is a bit higher. If I paid for the trip now it would be only $5K more--a few days ago it was over $6K.

We are having to cancel our 10 day July cruise from Reykjavik (Nordic Quest) to Stockholm because of the low Cnd dollar. The cost is now $5000 more in Cnd than in US. We've waited to cancel because we were hoping the Cnd dollar would rally, and it has yo-yo'd a bit, no more than a penny here & there and nothing that would make any difference. It's especially disappointing as this was for our 45th anniversary. I see in the new 2017 and 2018 cruise listings that this cruise will not be offered again in this format. Our TA just said, "here's what you need to pay us in penalty fees, call me back to make the arrangements."

So sorry, that's too bad, but I know how you feel. We're also waiting although I think we've pretty well decided to cancel. We're out our cancellation insurance, but that protects us from further penalties.

Just thinking out loud and hopefully a Canadian who is a savvy investor can correct me if it wouldn't work. What if a Canadian who books travel with US$ centric travel providers kept some of their stock investments in a US centric stock (not a multinational) and use the gains that are represented by currency gains to hedge the cost of their trips each year? Would that work?

Indeed. Our upcoming Tauck cruise we're almost certain to cancel. Although right now as you say the rate is a bit higher. If I paid for the trip now it would be only $5K more--a few days ago it was over $6K.

So sorry, that's too bad, but I know how you feel. We're also waiting although I think we've pretty well decided to cancel. We're out our cancellation insurance, but that protects us from further penalties.

Sorry. We cancelled our June Sirena cruise before the penalty. I noticed some cruise lines are offering incentives to CDNs. Tough call but we'll do land tours

the way we did before the we caught the cruise bug:o

Just thinking out loud and hopefully a Canadian who is a savvy investor can correct me if it wouldn't work. What if a Canadian who books travel with US$ centric travel providers kept some of their stock investments in a US centric stock (not a multinational) and use the gains that are represented by currency gains to hedge the cost of their trips each year? Would that work?

That's exactly how we cover the expenses of our tiny love nest in Florida. Sadly we don't have enough to cover a cruise.....of course if we saved it long enough, but I fear I wouldn't be here to enjoy it!

Mo

The email I got said Can discounts for new itineraries for 2017-2018, but when I called this morning , they said NO. Hate the confusion and misleading promos.

I got my paper brochure in the mail yesterday and there was an insert saying now booking in Canadian $. I haven't seen anything on a discount for Canadians. But I'm not sure what exchange rate they're using.

I am booked. Price in US was $ 2,899. Price in Canadian was $3,599 or just over 1.24% which I'm happy with.

Good to know. Can you change your mind about currency if the Canadian dollar rebounds closer to par?

Frances

Good to know. Can you change your mind about currency if the Canadian dollar rebounds closer to par?

Frances

I didn't ask. I assumed it would be like the mainstream lines where a good TA can work miracles but don't count on it. Cancelling and paying the prevailing rate is always an option.

The email I got said Can discounts for new itineraries for 2017-2018, but when I called this morning , they said NO. Hate the confusion and misleading promos.

Can not understand why Canadians should get discount for currency changes? All of us in the U.S. do not get discounts when we travel to Europe. Either the EU or the Pound are always more than the dollar. Why do the Canadians think they should get something special. Don't

like the rates stay home as I do if I don't like the rates I get.

Can not understand why Canadians should get discount for currency changes? All of us in the U.S. do not get discounts when we travel to Europe. Either the EU or the Pound are always more than the dollar. Why do the Canadians think they should get something special. Don't

Probably because Oceania values their business. It's a booking incentive just like a drink package. It's been happening for months, both Oceania and Regent have been offering Canadian Resident specials and NCL has been offering some cruises at Par. Obviously you don't like it as you've been very vocal against them but it's business.

Probably because Oceania values their business. It's a booking incentive just like a drink package. It's been happening for months, both Oceania and Regent have been offering Canadian Resident specials and NCL has been offering some cruises at Par. Obviously you don't like it as you've been very vocal against them but it's business.

Interesting, seems no one values our business. Not trying to be vocal against anyone, just vocal for us. Not a fair was for people to do business.

Wow again.

We don't get discounts when we travel to Europe either.

One would think the money was coming from your pocket.

"Why do the Canadians think they should get something special."

"Not trying to be vocal against anyone."

Right.

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

Interesting, seems no one values our business. Not trying to be vocal against anyone, just vocal for us. Not a fair was for people to do business.

And you probably don't complain about Florida resident specials at all.

All companies do targeted marketing to enhance sales.

But both sides are gambling. My final payment isn't until July next year. A lot can happen to the exchange in that time. The new Canadian bookings only came into effect with these new bookings. I'm booked at around 1.24% if the true rate is only around 1.15% this time next year! Oceania has won. They're just hedging their bets to get Canadians to book. Is it fair that you and I booked the same $5,000 cruise a year ago but because of currency fluctuation that cruise is now costing me $7,000 and you the original $5,000? it's never fair.

Well, FYI, in case nobody has figured this out, there are a handful of 2016 cruises that have a small discount for Canadian residents.

I have quotes on two of them, both 10-day cruises in the Med. in the fall. The discount is about $750 pp on a B1 balcony--just above 10% according to my rough calculations.

Our dollar is down against the euro and the GBP as well as the USD. Down against everything. It's not about special treatment, but about persuading us to spend money.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer