Oceania booking in Canadian :)

Cruise Junky

I thought I saw something this morning when the new itineraries were pippin in and out about it being in Canadian funds but thought it was a glitch. Saves the 2.5% credit card fees too.

Get a card with no hidden FTF

We use TD USA Visa & just buy USD when the rates are good

Wow, that would be nice. The exchange is killing us. We paid more than $2000 extra because of the exchange rate.

That's funny, since a few yeas ago when the exchange rate was much less you were laughing at the Americans since you paid $2000 less. How the worm turns. Don't like it now do you. Hang in there, as it could change again in a few years.

That's funny, since a few yeas ago when the exchange rate was much less you were laughing at the Americans since you paid $2000 less. How the worm turns. Don't like it now do you. Hang in there, as it could change again in a few years.

Huge difference to when the Canadian was worth more. At one point we had about 5 cents on you. We went down over .40 cents earlier this year.

I would still prefer to book in USD. Our dollar seems to be rebounding a bit and it all helps. On the other hand, Canadian Dollars are Canadian Dollars. Period. Assuming the Canadian prices will be substantially higher. Lots of math involved to decide where your line in the sand is.

Mo

I would still prefer to book in USD. Our dollar seems to be rebounding a bit and it all helps. On the other hand, Canadian Dollars are Canadian Dollars. Period. Assuming the Canadian prices will be substantially higher. Lots of math involved to decide where your line in the sand is.

Mo

Yes, definitely dependent on the exchange rate. One of my concerns in committing to an expensive cruise in US was our dollar sliding again. If the exchange rate is decent it would be nice to have the peace of mind of knowing what my final price is.

I wouldn't want to depend on the cruise line to give me the best, most current rate in Canadian $s. Unless they did it like the airlines with a dynamic rate of exchange that appears to change daily. I'd rather pay in USD, and watch for the best rate to pay off my card.

Now if they were offering voyages at par...that would be interesting! Some cruise lines are offering incentives for Canadians. The Paul Gauguin was offering a 25% discount for Canadians on their base cruise fares. We took advantage of that some time ago.

I wouldn't want to depend on the cruise line to give me the best, most current rate in Canadian $s. Unless they did it like the airlines with a dynamic rate of exchange that appears to change daily. I'd rather pay in USD, and watch for the best rate to pay off my card.

Now if they were offering voyages at par...that would be interesting! Some cruise lines are offering incentives for Canadians. The Paul Gauguin was offering a 25% discount for Canadians on their base cruise fares. We took advantage of that some time ago.

You are lucky. No hotels or tour companies are offering any discounts to Americans who book in EUR, which we have to. Or any other European currency. No guarantee on the rates. Can go up or down, so we are stuck at time of check out with the current rate. Good or bad.

Oceania were offering a 20% discount for a while then it dropped to 15%. Will be interesting to see what their Canadian rates are.

You are lucky. No hotels or tour companies are offering any discounts to Americans who book in EUR, which we have to. Or any other European currency. No guarantee on the rates. Can go up or down, so we are stuck at time of check out with the current rate. Good or bad.

How much has the USD fallen against the euro? Just curious.

Frances

Oceania were offering a 20% discount for a while then it dropped to 15%. Will be interesting to see what their Canadian rates are.

That's great. Nice that they are doing it. I wish someone would offer me a discount to protect my exchange rate.

Today's EUR rate vis-a-vis the dollar is $1.1391 (actually that was yesterday, April 1st but it's not a joke).

It's been as low as $1.05 recently. But mostly it seems to hover these days between $1.08 and $1.12. Of course, it's been a lot higher!

Mura

Today's EUR rate vis-a-vis the dollar is $1.1391 (actually that was yesterday, April 1st but it's not a joke).

It's been as low as $1.05 recently. But mostly it seems to hover these days between $1.08 and $1.12. Of course, it's been a lot higher!

Mura

Yup, and a lot lower a while ago. I seem to remember when it came out it was about $ .90 No matter what it was, it what it is today. Would be great if all money was of equal value. Travel would be easy. No need for conversions from country to country. Guess i am living in La La Land.

We did a car trip through France in May 2002 (I believe the EUR was brand new then) and it was $.90. The following November when we drove to Normandy it was $1.00. Haven't seen it at those levels since ...

Mura

We did a car trip through France in May 2002 (I believe the EUR was brand new then) and it was $.90. The following November when we drove to Normandy it was $1.00. Haven't seen it at those levels since ...

Mura

Would be nice to see it there today. But the real problem is the Canadian Dollar. For most of us here the Canadians are our best friends as a nation and would love to see their dollar equal to ours so it would be easier for them to come here and travel with us. We see a lot of them in Florida in the winter and fear if the low Canadian dollar continues some of them will not be back and that would not be a good thing. Many are our friends. Hope it turns around.

Believe me, I do understand. I have visited Canada many times over the years and it's one of our favorite destinations. We were last there with our Danish friends in 2013 when the CAD was about $.96. I admit when I first read currency exchange reports I was thinking it was that OUR dollars were worth $.96 of YOURS.

I was so happy when I realized the difference. (Bear in mind that when I was in the sixth grade way back when we studied Canada and at that time the Canadian dollars was worth around $1.07 as I recall. Back then, that was the pretty typical exchange rate. A few years later the relationship switched over.)

I'm happy to travel to Canada when I have a slight advantage with my money (or even if I don't) ... But I'm not happy to see such a big difference as we have for the past couple or years.

Maybe I should drive up to Perce (Quebec) to get a new deerskin backpack I've been wanting for a while ... the one I bought in 2011 could be replaced now, and it was VERY expensive! With the current exchange rate, it could be worth the gas to get up there.

Besides, I love the area ...

Mura

Believe me, I do understand. I have visited Canada many times over the years and it's one of our favorite destinations. We were last there with our Danish friends in 2013 when the CAD was about $.96. I admit when I first read currency exchange reports I was thinking it was that OUR dollars were worth $.96 of YOURS.

I was so happy when I realized the difference. (Bear in mind that when I was in the sixth grade way back when we studied Canada and at that time the Canadian dollars was worth around $1.07 as I recall. Back then, that was the pretty typical exchange rate. A few years later the relationship switched over.)

I'm happy to travel to Canada when I have a slight advantage with my money (or even if I don't) ... But I'm not happy to see such a big difference as we have for the past couple or years.

Maybe I should drive up to Perce (Quebec) to get a new deerskin backpack I've been wanting for a while ... the one I bought in 2011 could be replaced now, and it was VERY expensive! With the current exchange rate, it could be worth the gas to get up there.

Besides, I love the area ...

Mura

Well, we are anxiously watching the exchange rate, hoping it will go up before final payment. Finally up a bit - it costs us $130 CAD to pay for $100 USD. It was even worse a while ago. And that hurts on O prices!

Frances

A lot of sites are offering a Canadian resident pricing rate fir both Regent and Oceania

Norwegian is currently offering US and Canadian at par

A significant number of cruises are being heavily discounted...lots of berths available

We are having to cancel our 10 day July cruise from Reykjavik (Nordic Quest) to Stockholm because of the low Cnd dollar. The cost is now $5000 more in Cnd than in US. We've waited to cancel because we were hoping the Cnd dollar would rally, and it has yo-yo'd a bit, no more than a penny here & there and nothing that would make any difference. It's especially disappointing as this was for our 45th anniversary. I see in the new 2017 and 2018 cruise listings that this cruise will not be offered again in this format. Our TA just said, "here's what you need to pay us in penalty fees, call me back to make the arrangements."

I've posted this previously, probably back several months ago. But it appears many people use the same ploy as Lyn did in her post earlier. We traveled with a Canadian TA and his group of 12 on a Uniworld tour to Portugal. They all had monies in a US bank account with a credit card from a US Bank. They deposited money into the account, and bought dollars when the conversion rates were most promising.

I have friends that travel to Europe and/or live there part of the year. They all have bank accounts in a European Bank, so to buy Euros when they are cheapest. It also allows them to have a true Chip and PIN credit card without paying all the expensive fees the US Banks charge for those cards.