Balcony Guarantee - Got a "Spa" cabin

Suze10860

OK experts - if a Balcony Guarantee is booked, and the room assigned is a Spa Balcony, are the spa amenities (specifically the Thermal Spa passes) included? That is the only real difference between a regular Balcony and a Spa Balcony, correct? That and the location on deck 14.

Thanks ~

The spa is an independently owned and operated operation

If you book a spa cabin, the cost for the use of the facilities is included with your fare. (NCL gives gives the spa their share of what you pay).

When you are upgraded to a spa cabin you didn't pay the fee for the spa so you don't get to use it.

The spa is an independently owned and operated operation

If you book a spa cabin, the cost for the use of the facilities is included with your fare. (NCL gives gives the spa their share of what you pay).

When you are upgraded to a spa cabin you didn't pay the fee for the spa so you don't get to use it.

Makes perfect sense, thank you! :)

Edited by meltingmoments

Call NCL - everything I've read here on CC is that the pass is included with the upgrade.
It's not the first time I've heard this here on CC, but everything from NCL says that spa access is included with this cabin category. So if that category appears on your booking (no matter how it ended up there), they should honor the description (except the part where it says "suites" :p):
Spa Balcony Staterooms

Experience a total spa vacation. These suites feature tranquil spa décor and include two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed, private balcony, luxury bathroom, easy access to the Mandara Spa and fitness center and complimentary access to the Thermal Spa Suites. Available on Norwegian Escape, Breakaway Class ships and Norwegian Epic.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I'm 99% sure the spa is NOT included with an upgrade. You paid for a cabin and you get a cabin and whatever is inside the cabin (toiletries).

The 1% doubt is if they changed the rules and when did they ever change the rules in the passenger's favor?

People have come back here and complained that when they went to the spa, to their disappointment they had to pay extra for the use. This is fact, not opinion.

Edit to add: To put it simply, when you book "a cabin" you get a cabin and whatever is inside that cabin. The spa is not inside that cabin. Since your fare did not include spa passes (that's why spa cabins cost more) you don't get "2 spots at the spa". NCL is now free to sell those spots to people willing to pay for passes (there is limited space in there).

Again...unless they changed the rules.

Edited by April42749

Thanks everyone. The question wasn't actually for me, it was for my bestie and her hubby who are sailing with us this Sunday. They just booked the Guarantee on Wednesday, and got the assignment yesterday (Friday).

When she checked the reservation on line it says "Balcony" - no mention of "Spa." I'm personally guessing that they don't get the spa access. From the sounds of the replies, they probably won't. However, I do think that there is a small possibility that they will...very small. Honestly, they really don't care - at all. So if it does happen it will be just a very pleasant surprise.

I promise to let you all know for sure upon our return.

Thanks again.

Call NCL - everything I've read here on CC is that the pass is included with the upgrade.

Perhaps with an upsell, but why would this spa pass be "given" to them just because that particular balcony was unsold? People pay for a spa pass, they didn't.

Last time we were in a Spa Balcony (on the Epic), there were no toiletries in the room. As the OP suggested, aside from the spa access (and the location close to the spa), the room itself was just an ordinary balcony.

To put it simply, when you book "a cabin" you get a cabin and whatever is inside that cabin. The spa is not inside that cabin.
I understand this reasoning, but as I said on another thread where this came up, by this logic, if you get upgraded for free from a non-Haven category to the Haven, you shouldn't be allowed to use the Haven courtyard/pool or the Haven restaurant, since those facilities are not in your cabin and you didn't pay for them.

Do you have any links to first-hand reports of people being turned away from the spa? Are you sure it was on NCL? Because when I search for "guarantee" and "spa" on this board, I get plenty of reports from people who were assigned a spa cabin and enjoyed spa access.

When she checked the reservation on line it says "Balcony" - no mention of "Spa." I'm personally guessing that they don't get the spa access.

It should say something more specific than "Balcony". What category code does it say? Maybe they have been given a cabin that is normally a B9, but it is being given to them as an ordinary balcony. (I haven't heard of that happening, either, but I suppose it's possible.)

Thanks everyone. The question wasn't actually for me, it was for my bestie and her hubby who are sailing with us this Sunday. They just booked the Guarantee on Wednesday, and got the assignment yesterday (Friday).

When she checked the reservation on line it says "Balcony" - no mention of "Spa." I'm personally guessing that they don't get the spa access. From the sounds of the replies, they probably won't. However, I do think that there is a small possibility that they will...very small. Honestly, they really don't care - at all. So if it does happen it will be just a very pleasant surprise.

I promise to let you all know for sure upon our return.

Thanks again.

The cabin isn't an upgrade, it's the assigned cabin. The reservation was for no worse than a balcony, not a balcony. They could have been assigned a suite within that reservation category. I hope they enjoy!

Edited by Nola26

Last time we were in a Spa Balcony (on the Epic), there were no toiletries in the room. As the OP suggested, aside from the spa access (and the location close to the spa), the room itself was just an ordinary balcony.

I understand this reasoning, but as I said on another thread where this came up, by this logic, if you get upgraded for free from a non-Haven category to the Haven, you shouldn't be allowed to use the Haven courtyard/pool or the Haven restaurant, since those facilities are not in your cabin and you didn't pay for them.

Do you have any links to first-hand reports of people being turned away from the spa? Are you sure it was on NCL? Because when I search for "guarantee" and "spa" on this board, I get plenty of reports from people who were assigned a spa cabin and enjoyed spa access.

It should say something more specific than "Balcony". What category code does it say? Maybe they have been given a cabin that is normally a B9, but it is being given to them as an ordinary balcony. (I haven't heard of that happening, either, but I suppose it's possible.)

The reason is simple. The Haven and everything inside the Haven is Owned and Operated by NCL. The spa isn't. I believe it's owned and operated by Mandara Spas.

The people who were assigned a spa cabin may have paid for an upgrade. Or, may have purchased spa passes.

I can't give first hand reports but I have a good memory, as I had hopes of getting a "freebie" for the spa.

The people who were assigned a spa cabin may have paid for an upgrade. Or, may have purchased spa passes.

Like I said, I searched for people who got guarantee assignments (not paid upgrades), and who were talking about past cruises. Here's one example from the member reviews section:

Breakaway August 2014

I did find that Carnival has a policy that people who are upgraded to a spa stateroom do not get spa access. So that may explain why some people believe that NCL has the same policy. Again, if anyone has a link to a first-hand account about NCL, please post it here.

• 2 weeks later...

I promised to come back with the final outcome on the guarantee balcony cabin.

And the winner is...............

THEY GOT THE SPA PASSES

Yup - their room steward told them to go to guest services to get a sticker on the back of their key cards. They did, and enjoyed the spa three or four times over the course of the week.

I was quite happy for them!

Wow...I must have been misinformed or they changed the rule.

Really I think it's just another example of NCL being pretty inconsistent about stuff like this. If they had another room steward, I'm guessing it was just as likely that they would have been told that they were not entitled to the spa passes. I sort of got the feeling that a lot of times they're making up the rules as they go along. This time it certainly worked in my friend's benefit!!

Yep, knew you would get the spa passes!

We booked a guaranteed balcony for recent breakaway cruise for 2 of our family of 4. Long story but no cabins left for 4 passengers, so had to book 2 separate cabins.

Were assigned just before sailing a balcony on 14. Looking at the deck plans I saw it was a spa balcony, but made no mention of that on the booking online.

Got on the ship & yes, it was a spa balcony & were told to go to the spa to get our spa stickers on our cards!

Later that day, I guess someone didn't turn up for the cruise & a cabin opened up for 4 passengers. So we moved to that balcony on 12, so we wouldn't be split up as a family. We still got to keep the spa stickers though on our key cards! Yes, I know, we got really lucky!!

But yes, if you have a balcony guarantee & get assigned a spa balcony, you DO get the spa pass included. Congrats on your nice upgrade!

Really I think it's just another example of NCL being pretty inconsistent about stuff like this. If they had another room steward, I'm guessing it was just as likely that they would have been told that they were not entitled to the spa passes. I sort of got the feeling that a lot of times they're making up the rules as they go along.
I'm not sure the steward has access to the details of everyone's booking (whether they booked that room directly, or got a free or paid upgrade, or if it was a GTY assignment). And nothing the steward says means anything anyway: it's up to the spa staff who gets spa passes and who doesn't.

Thank you very much for reporting back!

I promised to come back with the final outcome on the guarantee balcony cabin.

And the winner is...............

THEY GOT THE SPA PASSES

Thanks for reporting back!

I'm waiting on my balcony assignment and it would be a great surprise to have that included!