What are your 'secret weapon' beauty products?

pennstater

I have a few things I do for beauty.

I keep a pumise stone in the shower and rub my feet every couple of days, My heels and feet stay nice and smooth.

Organic coconut oil; I use it all over my body and especially after sunning. I use it on my face and around my eyes at night.

I drink lots of water; close to a gallon a day.

I always use an SPF moisturizer, I always use an eye cream before applying concealer or eye make up.

As for make up I only need a bronzer, tinted eye brow gel, eyeliner/color and mascara.

And my favorite beauty tip is to always wear diamonds.:)

I must be the most low maintanenace female anywhere.

I have no beauty secrets and I don't do anything special to my skin.

One of the gals on my roll call couldn't believe I am 47 (we had

a fantastic group from these boards). I gave her a hug....she thought

I was about 40.

I know most of you are going to ask..."don't you moisturize"?...LOL

nope.

The only thing that goes on is eyeshadow and mascara for work.

It is interesting reading what ya'll do...I just have no desire to do the

creams, lotions, etc.

creams, lotions, etc.

Lois - you and my mom have about the same beauty routine...pretty much nothing! Only difference is that she has started wearing foundation more since reaching 55. And she has been mistaken for 5-7 years younger since she was 40! As the self-proclaimed 'beauty products junkie' that I am, I try to get her to use some of my favorite products, but no go...well, if it works for her, I better not try to fix what isn't broken.

Honestly, the 'creams and lotions' are a pampering experience for me. A nice facial mask, body scrub, warm bath...that is a piece of heaven. Even a nice moisturizer once a day (which is all I usually get time for) helps me feel a bit more relaxed. And the makeup is really a creative, artistic expression for me--I'll try something new just to see how different I'll look. It's all fun to me!

Here is one I found by accident. We had some scarzone-you know the genaric of Mederma, the silicone stuff for minimizing scars. I put some on my 2 forehead wrinkles. This makes them much less obvious-so I now do it every day. Now it has not made the wrinkles go away or anything-it is just they are not as obvious after I apply the scarzone.

Recently I have seen a product for minimizing wrinkles and guess what it has in it-silicone. The scarzone is much less expensive-around $7 a tube and I have been using the same tube for about 6 months.

One of the gals on my roll call couldn't believe I am 47 (we had

a fantastic group from these boards). I gave her a hug....she thought

I was about 40.

I know most of you are going to ask..."don't you moisturize"?...LOL

nope.

The only thing that goes on is eyeshadow and mascara for work.

creams, lotions, etc.

Lois,

You do wear sunblock, don't you?

Jane

I can't call them "secrets".

I use anti wrinkle eye cream and skin cream with SPF.

I never sit in the sun. I have not sat in the sun for most of my life even when a tan was fashionable, I never got one.

I wore sunblock when it was not talked about as a necessity.

I don't wear makeup except for the "anti wrinkle creams".

I get a facial a few times a year as an indulgence and treat to myself.

I get a manicure because I like nice nails but less in the winter months because I won't drive in a snow storm for a mani. I get pedis in the summer months.

I never wash anything by hand. It either goes in the washing machine or it goes to the dry cleaner, this is a major thing for keeping the hands looking young in my opinion as most people tell me I have nice hands and I don't use hand lotion, can't stand the greasy feeling.

Most important though I think a lot is genetics and what you started doing at a young age. If you sat in the sun at a young age, and then stopped you may still have the skin damage, so I think the best secret is to take care of yourself as best you can and start as young as possible and hope for the best.

Hi Jane:)

I am pretty honest and if I told you I used sunscreen I wouldn't be telling

the truth.

I know all about the affects of the sun, living in Florida. I am rarely outside. In the summertime here in North Florida the humidity is awful:eek:

So I am inside alot.

As for cruises, I do bring it with me but I don't use it much. ( I have no

patience to sit in the sun) so I am usually in the shade....actually instead

of laying at a pool, I am normally sitting at one of the bars;).

Well.....I never use sunscreen and I love to bake in the sun. I'm one of the very lucky ones--mid-60's, no wrinkles and good skin--and even with blond hair and blue eyes, I tan well. I use moisturizer and when the weather turns cool, then I go for the Bare Escentuals. In the summer, nothing other than moisturizer. Maybe a little eye liner, when I remember. Yeah, I know the sun is not good for you; however, I look much better and healthier with a tan rather than winter white. And at my age, I sure won't worry about wrinkles!!

Esther

my favorite CHEAP beauty secret that works is getting cheapie asprin (the no frills kind for 98cents at Walmart) and taking a few pills in your hand with a few drops of water.

Blend it into a paste as massage it onto your skin.

It exfoliates it better than any store product and keeps oily skin clear and smooth!

Hi Jane:)

I am pretty honest and if I told you I used sunscreen I wouldn't be telling

the truth.

I know all about the affects of the sun, living in Florida. I am rarely outside. In the summertime here in North Florida the humidity is awful:eek:

So I am inside alot.

As for cruises, I do bring it with me but I don't use it much. ( I have no

patience to sit in the sun) so I am usually in the shade....actually instead

of laying at a pool, I am normally sitting at one of the bars;).

You are probally okay then. My poor sister-in-law is only 45 and recently had a melamona taken off. It had spread more then the Dr. liked but he got it all. She is a sun worshiper and religiously used sunblock because of her and my hubby's aunt who has had a lot of skin cancers taken off. My sister-in-law thought that doing the sunblock she would be fine but obviously that was not enough.

My sister-in-law and her hubby are selling their week end cabin on the lake and their boat-as they have decided these past-times are too dangerous for her. The Dr. says she MUST be checked every 4 months. Also he recommended my hubby and their other sister be checked.

Hubby and the other sister both checked out fine but they must be checked once a year from now on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My "secrets" aren't much different from some here - I use plain witch hazel w/ a few drops of iodine (not too much or your skin will turn yellow/orange). It seems to help w/my somewhat oily T-zone but doesn't dry skin out.

I use sugar (salt works for oily skin) and a Crest Spinbrush w/ soft bristles to exfoliate. My skin is soooo soft for days after! (sugar is great as a body scrub, too)

I smear on pure olive oil and then blot w/ tissue until I don't look like a total greaseball and wear it when I'm home. I think my skin looks great, but the more weight I lose, the more lines are showing up! Oh well, at least I don't look older than I am!

Great tips, everyone! There's a few that I will be trying...Thanks! :-)

I just started a thread asking for beauty tips to share. Didnt see this thread. ahhhh ! Brilliant minds !!

So.. here are my tips that i just posted:

--i love bare escentuals-bisque, well-rested and eye brow kit,

--also have been very happy with Proactive ( acne skin care ) for my kids

--love max factor and Cover girl 12 hour lip stick { works great- i drink water ALL the time. put my lip stick on at 7 a.m. and its still on for hours and hours, even after breakfast and lunch

--bisque is a " cover-up" covers up spots, blotches-makes your skin look very satiny when applied under foundation. My younger daughter uses it on pimples and it not only looks good but it helps clear her face up

--well rested, also made by BE- has a yellow base tint. Works really well to lighten up around the eyes

--eyebrow kit, comes with eye brow brush, eyebrow shaded powder. i need to fill in a bit of my brows and it works great-very natural

--Proactive- very good. it has worked very well for my kids. But i will say they just had some facial pimples not acne. I dont know if it works for a difficuly case of acne but i would recommend for a mild problem

As I have said before I am a makeup junky, put something new on the market and I will try it! One of my favorite items is a foundation primer called Smashbox Photo Finish. After moisturizing I apply a thin layer and it creates a wonderful smooth canvas over which I apply my foundation. I have been using it for two years and now consider it one of my makeup staples.

Jean

mrsred - I've been wondering about your avatar...Where did you get it? It's my favorite! Very original...

Thank you so much!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner...I guess I completely missed this thread!

My avatar is actually a close-up/detail of one of my paintings.

It's called "I of the Storm" and she is one of my faves. I have had several offers for her, but I'm not ready to part with her yet :(

The offers keep going up...so I guess we'll see.....LOL!

~e

Well.....I never use sunscreen and I love to bake in the sun. I'm one of the very lucky ones--mid-60's, no wrinkles and good skin--and even with blond hair and blue eyes, I tan well. I use moisturizer and when the weather turns cool, then I go for the Bare Escentuals. In the summer, nothing other than moisturizer. Maybe a little eye liner, when I remember. Yeah, I know the sun is not good for you; however, I look much better and healthier with a tan rather than winter white. And at my age, I sure won't worry about wrinkles!!

Esther

Esther, you are playing some sort of roulette here.

Skin cancer is so prevalent that a sunscreen surely would be called for. You can still tan - just use the sunscreen, please.

Do take care of that wonderful "good skin." It truly is a gift.:)

Two products that I have discovered in the last few months:

1. Clinique Deep Wrinkle creme- I use it on my neck and around my eyes and the improvment has been dramatic.

2. Ojon hair care products: I have been using since July and my stylist can't get over how much softer and shinier my hair is.

In general, I am Clinique girl for skin care and a BE girl for make-up.

I always listened to my mother and scrubbed my face with soap and water. She was so wrong. My skin is very dry and red. It took a long time to get it to look good. Following a good cleansing/moisturizing regime helped me. Now, my skin looks better. I am in my 50s and just started wearing makeup a couple of years ago -- after a big weight loss. I look so much better with some foundation and blush. I'm sorry I didn't start with it earlier.

Last week I was in in Las Vegas and went to the Clinique store. I wanted something less heavy than the liquid foundation I normally use. They suggested a powder that applies with a sponge. It's pressed, not loose. I can't remember what it is called, but I love it. It's so easy to put on and looks very even and natural. I moisturize and use eye cream first.

About fragrance -- I love Angel Innocent, too. I was using Angel for a while until someone commented on it. I had to stop using it. Although it was a compliment, I felt as though it was too heavy. As luck would have it, Steve bought me the Innocent on a whim and I really liked it. Very subtle.

My grandmother swore by Ponds Cold Cream. Soap never touched her face. She never had wrinkles and always looked good. My great aunts all had crepey looking skin -- very wrinkled. I have wrinkles, too. Losing a lot of weight has really caused my skin to sag as well.

--Judy

• 3 weeks later...

I started using Philosophy products!

I use the Purity cleanser- which is great for removing makeup & general cleansing. Even removes waterproof eye makeup!

When Hope is not enough with SPF20 (viatmin C, peptides etc)

The Present -primer

non-Philosophy items below:

Bare Minerals foundation powder with SPF & also Mineral veil

Lip Infusion -lip plumper

As for home-made stuff- I like the aspirin mask for exfoliating as well as just adding a handful of sugar to my cleanser a couple of times a week.

My #1 secret is actually for breakouts- I use a drop of pure tea tree oil on a Q-tip just on the spot.

Has anyone ever read the book on the Curly Girl theory? Unfortunately the name of the book/author is behind about 8 stacked doors leaning against my library (remodeling now) of books so I can't tell you the author at the moment. Anyway, this is thinking outside of the box, but it works for me. I have super dry hair and it is curly. I have always had curls going this way and that and couldn't get a comb through it without ripping at the ends. One day my sister gave me this book, and the basically the theory is that you don't shampoo your hair at all. I only condition it daily, and scrub my scalp like I would if I was shampooing it. I have been doing it for 5 years. I even put natural oils in my hair. It doesn't look oily at all, very clean, hair smells great, it's curly and I can run my fingers through it at any time of the day. My hair is strawberry blond but the texture is similar my family background who are Italians so you definetly need that type of hair for this to work.

I do take the theory to the extreme but there are many variations they lay out in the book for different types of curly hair. I hope this doesn't gross anyone out....it took me 2 weeks to see the effect and get over my normal ways taking care of my hair because it was strange to me. I always get a OMG I love your hair from people I meet so it does work for me.

I am enjoying everyones secrets and plan to do some testing.

Archived