Tips & Advice wanted on how to manage without an iron

Hi...for the last few cruises we have had access to a launderette and an iron so creasing of clothes has never been a problem.

I tend to wear a lot of linen which unfortunately creases really badly ...so....what tips/advice can you please give regarding this...not only with linen....will just have to take more alternatives...but general advice regarding how to get rid of creases without an iron.

Unless RCI now provide an ironing room for passengers which would be great.

Many thanks

No guest ironing rooms on Royal ships.

Some ideas:

Use the ship's pressing service.

Use Downy Wrinkle Releaser (check for staining first).

Pack each garment in it's own plastic cleaner's bag.

I suppose I could use the pressing service but some items may need to be pressed every day and I don't know what the cost would be for that...may end up costing more than the cruise :))...but thank you for the suggestions so far

I bring a small travel steamer (bought online for like $9). Or the old school way I hang stuff in the bathroom and turn on the hot hot water for a bit to steam it..

So you are allowed to bring a travel steamer on board...that sounds ok

I suppose I could use the pressing service but some items may need to be pressed every day and I don't know what the cost would be for that...may end up costing more than the cruise :))...but thank you for the suggestions so far

This isn't the most practical suggestion, but I'd opt for some more non-linen options. Maybe I've been a cruiser for too long but I find that I very strongly lean towards fabrics that travel well and don't require ironing. Even for non-cruising though, I've never been a fan of linen because of how easily it gets wrinkled.

There are so many wrinkle-free or nearly free fabric options. All you really need are a few key pieces.

Otherwise, I used to always bring a steamer with me, but now it's only on a "if there's room" basis. Good luck. :)

I travel a LOT for business, hobby and vacation - I also NEVER iron. If a garment requires ironing, it doesn't find its way into my wardrobe. I think I owned a linen skirt around 30 years ago and wore it on a business trip - stepped off the plane looking like i'd slept in it. I believe it went to Goodwill. So, do yourself a favor and leave the linen home and get some travel clothes that pack well and don't require ironing. My favorite trick if there is an odd crease or wrinkle is to wet it a bit and hit it with the hairdryer - wrinkle gone.

So you are allowed to bring a travel steamer on board...that sounds ok

Just so you know, travel steamers are on the prohibited list, but there are reports of people being allowed to take them on. In other words, be prepared in case they take it away. If they do take it away, they will give it back at the end of the cruise.

I have found that since Royal created the problem that maybe the fix should cost them money..... Seems to work for me. So what I do is place the clothes on hangers in the bathroom and run the shower with the door close to make hot steam, 30 to 60 minutes. You will need to allow a couple of hours for the dampness to dry from your clothes, but they will be wriggle free.

With the added bonus of wasting all that water and energy required to make the hot water, pump through the ship and handle the waste water. :):):):)

I have found that since Royal created the problem that maybe the fix should cost them money..... Seems to work for me. So what I do is place the clothes on hangers in the bathroom and run the shower with the door close to make hot steam, 30 to 60 minutes. You will need to allow a couple of hours for the dampness to dry from your clothes, but they will be wriggle free.

With the added bonus of wasting all that water and energy required to make the hot water, pump through the ship and handle the waste water. :):):):)

^^ This!!

I've used this method many times while travelling and it works really well!

Just so you know, travel steamers are on the prohibited list, but there are reports of people being allowed to take them on. In other words, be prepared in case they take it away. If they do take it away, they will give it back at the end of the cruise.

It's funny how I didn't realize this for a long time since they never took mine! And the one I have is a huge clunky thing too! I'm not one to try and sneak things on, but it's kind of bizarre that I was never busted on this. I rarely bring it anymore now, so it's no longer an issue.

Dry cleaning/store bags, and packing cubes work just fine with most of my clothes.

Downy Wrinkle Release works wonders and the cabin isn't waterlogged from steam. I pack everything in dry cleaner bags and spray lightly when I unpack. Easy Peasy and it's done for the whole cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Downy Wrinkle Release works wonders and the cabin isn't waterlogged from steam. I pack everything in dry cleaner bags and spray lightly when I unpack. Easy Peasy and it's done for the whole cruise.

Yes you are correct but it misses the point. If you purchase Downy, it cost you money. But if you use the shower it costs Royal..... I love to spend the cruise lines money.

I did not realize steamers could not be used? I always pack mine and have not had an issue? Probably just luck of the draw? I have a small travel,sized one I got for like $9 so I guess if they take it, no biggie... Back to the shower method!

I did not realize steamers could not be used? I always pack mine and have not had an issue? Probably just luck of the draw? I have a small travel,sized one I got for like $9 so I guess if they take it, no biggie... Back to the shower method!

Here's the list of prohibited items:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

I use a combination of methods to keep wrinkles to a minimum.

First, I roll my clothes before putting them in the suitcase.

Second, many if not all of the fabrics are a knit. They don't wrinkle as much.

Third, I place dry cleaning plastic bags over each layer of clothes in the suitcase.

Fourth, I hang everything when I unpack in the cabin. If there are not enough hangers, ask your cabin steward for additional hangers.

We use a rolling garment bag for dresses,, DH's shirts, tux and sports coat. Again, we use dry cleaning bags to separate the items.

If something comes out too wrinkled to wear, I do send the item to the ship's pressing service.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Was seriously considering a travel steamer but it is on the "banned" list. So then I decided I would try this Downy Wrinkle Release...no joy there ...don't think it is sold over here in England. Looks like I am possibly having to re think my wardrobe...leave the linen at home...and splash out on a new wardrobe....life's tough at times :))

Was seriously considering a travel steamer but it is on the "banned" list. So then I decided I would try this Downy Wrinkle Release...no joy there ...don't think it is sold over here in England. Looks like I am possibly having to re think my wardrobe...leave the linen at home...and splash out on a new wardrobe....life's tough at times :))

This really is the best answer. Don't travel with linen.

And despite an earlier post, it is actually very easy to simply hang things on the bathroom door while you shower, and then smooth out the wrinkles with your hands.

No muss, no fuss, no need to buy anything or use any resource to excess.

:rolleyes:

Honestly think that's your best answer. So many of the modern fibers need very little care. Could not imagine packing linen! If I have a few items that are overly wrinkled I just send out for pressing - and with rolling and careful packing that doesn't happen often.

Travel steamers are frequently confiscated.

In try to avoid ironing at all costs! But in a pinch - especially if I have a wayward shirt collar or a hem sticking up I will "iron" the offending garment with my flat iron.....