What is so "wonderful" about an aft cabin?

Forget every good thing you have read about aft cabins, they are terrible, just awful, you wouldn't want one. Completely forget you ever heard about them.

:D Leaves more afts for us aft lovers. :D

I would have sworn that I read they were haunted. All of them.

And especially 7688 on Adventure.

Very very haunted.

Very very haunted.

And the weather is always worse on the aft!

Don't forget that CRAZY LONG walk to the stairs.....got to be close to 3 miles!!

Aft cabins are a bit like caviar (or Marmite for those people who know what that is). They are an acquired taste and not for everyone. If you like to be the life and soul of the party and adore spending your time lying amongst thousands of other people listening to loud music whilst the party games take place around the overcrowded pool, then the peace and quiet of an aft cabin with nothing but the sound of the sea and only your own company would probably sound like hell. For me, hell is the crowded pool area and having to rub shoulders with several thousand people all "having fun"! Each to his own, I say! I can't wait to enter my 8th deck aft cabin on Brilliance in June and I look forward to the peace and quiet of just me and my husband chilling on our aft balcony - alone!

Now I realize that the aft cabins have balconies, but how would you compare them to one of the new front-facing panoramic view cabins on deck 12? Would the front facing view be comparable to the rear facing view? Trying to decide on room 1852 which is directly front facing, or just a side view room. Or maybe an aft after reading all of these posts!

And the weather is always worse on the aft!

Don't forget that CRAZY LONG walk to the stairs.....got to be close to 3 miles!!

It's been sunshine and daisies everywhere else on the ship, but when I traverse the 5 miles back to the aft (we were in 1700 on FOS) there's been a hurricane AND monsoon at the same time.

But it still couldn't blow the ghosts off of the loungers.

Why anyone would book these is beyond me.

Now I realize that the aft cabins have balconies, but how would you compare them to one of the new front-facing panoramic view cabins on deck 12? Would the front facing view be comparable to the rear facing view? Trying to decide on room 1852 which is directly front facing, or just a side view room. Or maybe an aft after reading all of these posts!

Have you ridden in a train? If so, have you sat facing forward and also facing back (different trips or moments, of course)? The view facing forward is nice. The view facing backward is better. You can see where you've been for so much longer, it seems, than the other way around.

Similar with staterooms.

Our first cruise was Radiance in, I believe, 7100. 7th deck, overlooking the helipad. Had to sort of crawl into a funky forward shelf thing to look out. Lovely view. We were just in 1864 on FOS, which isn't *front* view, but it's the wedge pano room.

1864 was lovely, just wonderful (though that wedge makes it weird to figure out where to put stuff, and our stateroom attendant (who was our attendant two years ago in 1700, how odd is that?) makes a fuss about putting bags under the bed so we didn't do that this time).

Once we've been in 7688 it's going to be TOUGH to decide where to be in the future.

For the *views*, I like aft. But there was nothing at all wrong with the views from 1864.

Augh. Tough.

Oh wait. No. BOTH of those are cluttered with ghosts! I locked some poltergeists up in 1864 FOS and there were ghouls in the closet. And don't touch the pole in 1700 b/c I've electrified it. Best just not book that one.

:cool:

(funnily enough, the room I love on Disney Dream is 6666! Funny to say b/c of the looks you get, but a terrific room.)

I do not recommend booking an aft cabin. If you all try, it will make it much too hard for me to get them. If I am not humping, then I'll be doing it in the aft...:eek::D:):)

Love the HUMP, or the aft...to each their own.:)

BILL

I do not recommend booking an aft cabin. If you all try, it will make it much too hard for me to get them. If I am not humping, then I'll be doing it in the aft...:eek::D:)

Love the HUMP, or the aft...to each their own.:)

BILL

Rather be humping.:)

Hi...even though we have cruised many times we have never had an aft cabin but from what I read on the forum they are desirable.

So...what is so good about them...I always imagined that they would be a lot noisier from the workings of the ship... but I don't know. We have a cruised booked on the NOTS and have a chance of having one of the aft cabins...deck 9..at the moment we are deck 7 midship. I chose that because I have a strong tendency towards vertigo/motion sickness but of course it may be no different than being on deck 9 aft cabin.

This thread link gives you a lot of reasons to consider an aft cabin...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243860

My personal favorites are the aft corner wraparound balconies, which are usually bigger than the other aft balconies and give you almost a 270 degree field of view. They let you see where you're going as well as where you've been.

Happy cruising!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

PLEASE......

Everyone stay where you are.....

I don't need any more competition for Aft balconies.

I feel ya. I've only sailed aft once because at other times I didn't book soon enough.

3-4 times more balcony, no hard winds while sailing, and the serenity of the extra quiet, the privacy, and the view. I didn't particularly notice any extra vibration or noise, and having mild vertigo I didn't have any more of a problem with motion in an aft cabin than in other locations.

Walking distance might be a drawback for some, but I don't remember it as a negative.

Very very haunted.

I agree. I have heard the same about 7666 on Enchantment and 9256/1100 on Radiance series. ;) :p

We have our first aft on Freedom (Deck 10) in a couple weeks and are looking forward to the huge balcony...but have already booked 1700 for Liberty in 2018. We saw that 1400/1700 cabins are a lot larger too but have some concerns now about the balcony being too closed in for that cabin.

That being said, we are considering switching to the aft 7408/7708 for Liberty because the balconys are larger and more open.

Anyone here in 1400/1700 or 7408/7708 for the April 17 Freedom sailing?...would love to take a quick peek.

Edited by E23NK1

We have our first aft on Freedom (Deck 10) in a couple weeks and are looking forward to the huge balcony...but have already booked 1700 for Liberty in 2018. We saw that 1400/1700 cabins are a lot larger too but have some concerns now about the balcony being too closed in for that cabin.

That being said, we are considering switching to the aft 7408/7708 for Liberty because the balconys are larger and more open.

Anyone here in 1400/1700 or 7408/7708 for the April 17 Freedom sailing?...would love to take a quick peek.

Have you checked the roll call for your cruise?

I have had both 1700 and 7708 on the Indy. I think I personally prefer 7708. However, that being said, I think my late husband had to pry my hands away from the balcony of 1700 when we got back into port. Both are fantastic options.

No comparison. What I think you are asking about is a cabin with a front facing view, but no balcony?

Some of the corner afts have wrap around views. Panaromic pic of 7688 on Voyager Class.

The deck 10 corner afts on Voyager and Freedom class provide JS space for D1 Balcony price. Hard to beat those if you care about space.

2qmjcbc.jpg

I've been in 7688 on Navigator. Here's a video!