Ladies: ? Re: Wearing Capris (AK in May)

mlbcruiser

We have always cruised in warm to hot weather, no matter what continent. Therefore, I often end up wearing capris and "nice" tops in the dining rooms on non-formal nights. Sometimes sleeveless long sun dresses, too. I'm usually cold in the dining rooms (AC!). and don't really think the look of these dresses is suitable for an AK cruise, even with a shrug or shawl. My non-winter wardrobe consists mostly of capris, and while many of the tops I usually wear will work, they won't work that well with black or other basic colors you often find in winter. So - is it likely that I'll find it too cool or unusual to be wearing pastel colored capris on board in the evenings? I kind of think it will be, but am just wondering if those of you who have cruised in this area before find it appropriate to wear clothes usually worn in summer or tropical areas? (I know I am overthinking this and no one will care one way or the other, but just had to ask!)

BTW, I know that there could be days in May in AK where some may find it warm enough to wear shorts or capris - esp. inland. I'm asking about evenings onboard only.

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by mlbcruiser

We sailed to Alaska last summer in early June. I wore capris on the flight, the first day in Seattle, and the day we boarded the ship, but never again after that. I found it too chilly to wear anything other than pants and long sleeves inside the ship, including the dining rooms. Off the ship, I wore pants, long sleeves, and usually at least a sweatshirt--sometimes even one additional layer.

For dinner in the dining room I generally wore black or tan pants and a variety of blouses with a light sweater or cardigan over them.

I'm also cruising in May and I am treating evening dress as if it were winter. I'll have two cocktail dresses - 1 a long sleeve, navy velvet and the other just a little black dress with 3/4 sleeves. For non chic nights I'll be wearing black slacks paired with different sweaters.

I do live in Florida so I'm not wishing to be cold.

My Mom and I live in Atlanta, GA. We dressed for Alaska last July as we would for fall or early spring, before the switch to capris and sundresses. We are headed back to Alaska earlier this season. For non-gala nights we'll wear dark slacks with silky blouses, plus drapey cardigans if the dining room is cold. (I say "we" because I buy most of Mom's clothes, so our wardrobes tend to be similar.)

Vicki

Isn't that the truth?! Gotta figure out how to pack things like sweaters, jackets, "big shoes" (the type that are not sandals or flip flops), long pants, and cool//cold weather accessories and stay within the luggage wt. limits. Snow skiing has always required a lot of bulky stuff, too, but most of the time we drove to CO to ski so no baggage wt. limits or fees. I think we'll have to make our formal night clothing do double duty and just change accessories or something.

Isn't that the truth?! Gotta figure out how to pack things like sweaters, jackets, "big shoes" (the type that are not sandals or flip flops), long pants, and cool//cold weather accessories and stay within the luggage wt. limits. Snow skiing has always required a lot of bulky stuff, too, but most of the time we drove to CO to ski so no baggage wt. limits or fees. I think we'll have to make our formal night clothing do double duty and just change accessories or something.

Layering doesn't mean you need to pack a ton of clothes. Keep in mind that you only need to change the layer next to your skin each day, so yes, pack 7 or 8 tshirts or whatever your first layer will be. But you only need 1 or 2 fleeces or hoodys .... no one will notice or care that you wore the grey sweater on Monday AND Thursday !!

Same with the shoes ... wear the heaviest shoe on the plane and pack a pair of sneakers.

And pack a pr of shorts/capris plus a swimsuit just in case you have great weather. They don't take up much space and if it's sunny and warm you'll be glad to have them.

Not to worry, ladies. I am not a light packer. I packed clothes for day (pants, tees, cardigans), different tops for night, "gala" clothes, a fleece jacket, a raincoat, two sets of pjs, scarf, hat, gloves, and all the unmentionables in a 24" suitcase and was still nowhere near the weight limit. Pack on!

Vicki

The dining room is "room temperature". If you are chilly, it's due to the AC, not because you are in Alaska. I wear pants, capris, skirts with short sleeved blouses. I often carry a cardigan just in case, but rarely have needed it. Most of the time I'd be too hot in a sweater in the dining room.

Wear what you want. It's spring/summer in Alaska too. You don't have to dress like it's winter. :)

I cruised Alaska the 1st week of July last year. We had some hot days even in port. There was a port day that I wore sandals and capris. The only day that it was cold was cruising Tracey Arm. Just need to be prepared for any type of weather.

I'm glad there were more responses on this thread. I tried asking this a month or so ago, but glad for this info here. I'm the same way, I get chilly in the ship at times, even in Caribbean, so I always have 2-3 different cardigans with me there even. I'm planning on bringing a few more for this trip and be prepared with layering, like others said. We'll be there in July as well.

We're also spending 4 days in Seattle before we even sail, so I'm going to need more clothes than I usually pack for cruises. And the shoes!! Ugh! LOL! Just because I never pack boots for any cruises.

lexyplexy, I asked the same question about formal nights on AK cruises back in Jan., particularly w/re: to Princess. Hope I'm not restarting THAT issue on here again, or the direction things went re: complaints about those who do not like to dress formally. :rolleyes: Some (just some. I don't mean all because there were helpful replies) of the replies seemed in the vein of, "OMG, how stupid can you get? Of COURSE itinerary has nothing to do with how formally people will be dressed!" There also seemed to be an undercurrent of "this is a PRINCESS cruise!", which actually means nothing because Royal Caribbean, and esp. Celebrity, have their share of tux and gown wearers, too.) However, for THIS cruise, I'd honestly prefer to have NCL's liberal dress code in effect: formal if you like; informal if you don't! (I hope those who feel part of the dress code patrol don't freak out at that remark. Don't worry. We'll dress formally on formal nights and won't wear our jeans into the formal D.R.s. And no, we don't want to eat dinner at the buffet.) Anyway, back to your question, 2 formal nights and yes, people are expected to dress up on them. Hope that was of some help to you.

Edited by mlbcruiser

We were on Solstice and I found the formal nights more casual. A lot more pant suits or pants and blouse. More men with just sports jackets or even just casual pants and a shirt.(a lot without tie). Formal nights were 2 and 6 on our cruise

lexyplexy, I asked the same question about formal nights on AK cruises back in Jan., particularly w/re: to Princess. Hope I'm not restarting THAT issue on here again, or the direction things went re: complaints about those who do not like to dress formally. :rolleyes: Some (just some. I don't mean all because there were helpful replies) of the replies seemed in the vein of, "OMG, how stupid can you get? Of COURSE itinerary has nothing to do with how formally people will be dressed!" There also seemed to be an undercurrent of "this is a PRINCESS cruise!", which actually means nothing because Royal Caribbean, and esp. Celebrity, have their share of tux and gown wearers, too.) However, for THIS cruise, I'd honestly prefer to have NCL's liberal dress code in effect: formal if you like; informal if you don't! (I hope those who feel part of the dress code patrol don't freak out at that remark. Don't worry. We'll dress formally on formal nights and won't wear our jeans into the formal D.R.s. And no, we don't want to eat dinner at the buffet.) Anyway, back to your question, 2 formal nights and yes, people are expected to dress up on them. Hope that was of some help to you.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we always dress on formal nights. I was just concerned about space in the suitcase. With having to pack for different seasons on this cruise opposed to just packing for warm weather.

rotchill, thanks for the info. I was guessing the formal nights would be 2 and 6 as we don't put in at any ports those days = "at sea" days. When possible most lines have them then.

You're very welcome, lexyplexy. I agree w/you 100% on the packing issue. (I've heard the South American "around the horn" cruises can be even tougher to pack for with a very wide range of temps.) Packing is my worst nightmare, anyway. I LOVE any kind of travel, but packing? I HATE it! Honestly, I get anxious about doing it.

sherryf, I like your way of dressing - whatever you feel like wearing according to what feels good temp-wise to you. I should be more like you and not care if I have on capris - as long as they match the top. But knowing me, I'd feel cold. I can handle real cold and know all about layering from snow skiing. I handle that type of cold better as it is when I am outside. Inside, when I am stitting still, is when I tend to feel the cold more - esp. in a/c. Actually, capris are probably warmer than many dresses or skirts. I am definitely the "always cold in the D.R." type, though. I want to definitely try to stick with spring-like colors as much as possible. Winter is over!

kctwinmommy, I am wanting to bring a couple sweaters, too - as well as a about 2 sweatshirt jackets and a sweatshirt or two. That type of clothing just takes up room, no matter what, so I will have to pare those choices down a bit. I am, unfortunately, one of those "what if I need this", or "how do I know what I am going to FEEL like wearing?", or "what if I spill something on this and can't use it after that?" :rolleyes:

Edited by mlbcruiser

Alaskanb, I actually found 3 pr. of the very pale pink ones featured in the link you posted, all size 1's!- in 2 local Chico's last Friday! When I first noticed them on the rack, I stopped for a second, wondering if I should buy them if they had my size. Unfortunately, I don't fit into a 1. :( Would you believe I actually had gotten a pr. of these last yr. as I bought a 3/4 length sleeve top in the exact shade (also at Chico's) to wear to a baby shower along with a sheerish scarf. Ended up not wearing & returning the pants. A little too form fitting and I had another pr. of slacks that matched nicely. I think one could get away with these in the D.R. on casual nights if they spruced the outfit up just a bit with accessories.

Thanks for the nice tip, though! Perhaps others on here may be interested in these.

Even in September I thought it was a little cool. Too cool to wear capri pants for me. I'm a Florida so that may make a difference.

We will be cruising the first week in September. I'm thinking that packing is going to be a challenge. A little bit of everything will probably be needed.

We will be cruising the first week in September. I'm thinking that packing is going to be a challenge. A little bit of everything will probably be needed.

I took a rain jacket with a zip out fleece liner. Also a knit hat and scarf, just in case. I used waterproof spray on my shoes. We had mostly mild days. I didn't need anything heavy to wear. As everyone has said, layers.

Our coldest day was Glacier Bay. Rainy day was Juneau but it was short lived.