Another Traditional Dining Question

NC&KY

My wife and I always do Anytime Dining, and we have a strong preference for eating alone. No, we're not ogres:o, we just like each other and we read a lot on cruises, including at mealtimes. We actually really like 2-tops that are very close to other 2-tops because we can either ignore the other couple and read or we can interact with them significantly, as we did on our only other Princess cruise. Our usual routine is to go to a bar sometime around 7:30 or so and then head for dinner, generally when the live music ends.

We will be on the Pacific Princess in June, which we are really looking forward to because we have gotten to be devotees of small ships. :DUnfortunately, the Pacific Princess only has Traditional Dining. We have requested a table for 2 at the late seating, which is 8:15. That schedule should work fine for us.

But if we are hungry earlier, or if there is no bar that has live music after 7:30 or so, are we allowed to go to the dining room before 8:15? I understand that if the couple at the Early Seating is still at the table, we can't push them out. But assuming the table is empty earlier than 8:15, may we request to be seated earlier, or will the maître d' literally hold people back from entering the dining room until the appointed hour? :confused:

Conversely, how long will our spot at the Late Seating be held? If the music is good, the following day is a sea day, and the drinks are generous, we may well not want to eat until closer to 9.:rolleyes:

Thanks for any insights/advice.

Edited by NC&KY
Typo

Fixed seating times are, well, fixed.

The doors for second seating will not open until the scheduled time as the tables are cleaned and reset.

And "last order" is usually no more than 30 minutes after the scheduled dining time.

Edited by fishywood

They will not let you into the dining room before 8:15, even if your table is empty

And it might not be empty. I don't think you want to tell the people who eat there at 6-ish that they have to vacate. :) The buffet on PP is very nice, and there are also two upcharge places that alternate nights, Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's. I promise you won't starve!

There is always the buffet on those nights when you want to "change up" your dining time.

On the Pacific, most of the food in the buffet is the same as what in on the MDR menu - except for lobster.:D

Does the Panorama Buffet open at night?

As others have posted, fixed seating is fixed seating. You will not be allowed in the DR before it opens for the second seating. As others have stated, there is probably also a late cut-off time. If 8:15 doesn't work for you, then go to the buffet. If you are at a table with more people, let your waitstaff know you won't be there so they don't hold up service for the others waiting for you.