Amazon Sale - Travel Surge Protector

This one is easy, right on the Amazon page it lists "surge protection" as one of the features. Sorry. Most multi-USB chargers do in fact have surge protection.

Darn, I did miss that. Plain as day under Safety Features. :o Thank you so much for responding.

Well, this certainly got complicated fast.

Hopefully we can find one that is blessed...it seems like the language suggesting surge protection is on most devices. At this point I'd bet that it's built in to most of the manufacturer provided chargers as well.

Anyway, hopefully we'll come up with something.

That being said, I am going to bring something. I'd like to be safe, but, in the end if the cruise line does not prohibit me from bringing something I will.

Thanks, Bob.

Let me add a clarifying note to those who have used a Belkin or similar device in the past "without a problem". If you read the USCG Safety Notice, the fire's root cause was not a problem with the surge protector that eventually failed and caught fire, but it was due to another device or piece of electrical equipment on the ship (and noted as even being on a different circuit) that "went to ground" (the insulation failed) that reverse powered the MOV's in the surge protector that caught fire. Unintentional grounds aboard ship are fairly common due to the presence of outdoor lighting fixtures exposed to storms and seas, which sometimes fill with sea water and ground out. This is another reason that shipboard grounding is designed as it is, so that the engineers can quickly identify any grounded circuit and repair it before it can cause a problem.

So, the long and short of it is, your Belkin may in fact be completely normal in operation, right up until the moment that something else on the ship causes it to go into "thermal runaway".

I just don't understand. Maybe Daddy, the engineer could have explained it to me.

Does this mean that if anyone on the ship uses a surge suppressor let's say deck 2, it can cause a fire somewhere else on the ship like deck 9?

Does it matter if you're on a higher deck with a surge suppressor, we can still spark a fire on deck 5?

Seems like we're in trouble no matter what we do, because someone on the ship won't hear the word and will bring a surge, then my camera charger will fry, or someone elses.

I wonder if all those ship fires we're reading about in the engine room are because someone brought a surge suppressor. Didn't Serenade have a nasty fire on their stage a while back? Was that a surge suppressor?

I'm going to try to open the Belkin device I have and snip off the surge protector part. I want the two/three outlets, plus USB ports, plus the swivel, and I've not found anything like that yet.

How do you do that?

We're bringing the belkin for pre-cruise hotel, and monster outlet for the ship.

Edited by knittinggirl

I just don't understand. Maybe Daddy, the engineer could have explained it to me.

Does this mean that if anyone on the ship uses a surge suppressor let's say deck 2, it can cause a fire somewhere else on the ship like deck 9?

Does it matter if you're on a higher deck with a surge suppressor, we can still spark a fire on deck 5?

Seems like we're in trouble no matter what we do, because someone on the ship won't hear the word and will bring a surge, then my camera charger will fry, or someone elses.

I wonder if all those ship fires we're reading about in the engine room are because someone brought a surge suppressor. Didn't Serenade have a nasty fire on their stage a while back? Was that a surge suppressor?

How do you do that?

We're bringing the belkin for pre-cruise hotel, and monster outlet for the ship.

I'm also concerned that adding all those new cabins to the ships is overtaxing the generators and wiring may add to the fire risk.

Lets deal with this one at a time, and I apologize for not being able to insert things in color, as my browser is acting up.

No, using a surge protector on deck 2 will not cause a fire on deck 9. The site of any potential fire is the surge protector.

It doesn't matter where the surge protector is, electricity, unlike water flows wherever it is needed, up, down, or sideways.

If YOU don't use a surge protector, your things, and your cabin are fine. Again, the source of any potential fire is the surge protector being used. If your things do not have a semi-conductor connecting the power leads to ground (surge protector), then anything anywhere on the ship that does fail to ground will have no effect on your stuff.

What I am saying is that a perfectly functioning surge protector may fail instantly due to something that has happened elsewhere on the ship. If you don't have a surge protector, you don't have to worry about this. And the failure of a surge protector is not really what would cause another surge protector to fail. As I've said, it could be a balcony light full of water.

Failure of a surge protector, would not cause an engine room fire. It starts at the surge protector, as the plastic casing melts and catches fire. None of the engine room fires in recent years have been caused by electrical causes. Neither the Serenade fire nor the Grandeur fire were caused by a surge protector. However, the Serenade fire (which was caused by a short and failed breaker in the stage lighting) could have caused any surge protectors being used in cabins to fail, depending on how the failure of the stage lighting progressed, and the actual circuits involved. This is what I mean by something failing elsewhere on the ship causing a problem with YOUR surge protector. If you don't have a surge protector, you are fine.

If Bob can do this, he needs to make a youtube video. I suspect the casing will not survive the surgery, despite Bob's skill.

Adding cabins to a ship is not like plugging a lot of appliances into the wiring in your home. The total lighting and outlet electrical load for a cruise ship is probably about 10% of the ship's generating capacity. Even the entire hotel load while in port is normally covered by one generator, and that includes the laundry, galley, and A/C system. The ship has 4 to 6 generators, so even adding 100 cabins is not overtaxing the generators. The ship's wiring system is set up so that the new cabins will have their own circuits, with their own wiring (just like banks of existing cabins), and the design of the circuits must meet and be inspected by the classification societies which act like insurance underwriters like the UL in the US.

Not at all, glad to have the help getting the word out.

The only problem is, the word is only getting out to a very select few here on CC :( I got absolutely slammed on social media for telling someone these were not really safe for cruise ships. They all piled on me! :eek:

The only problem is, the word is only getting out to a very select few here on CC :( I got absolutely slammed on social media for telling someone these were not really safe for cruise ships. They all piled on me! :eek:

Sorry. I'm an old dinosaur that refuses to do social media. :o

Feel free to copy any of my posts to whatever site you want.

But as I say, if the CC membership can refrain from using surge protectors, at least I've protected their equipment. Can't save everyone.

I think it will take time, but the word will eventually filter out if enough people keep mentioning it.

Sorry. I'm an old dinosaur that refuses to do social media. :o

Feel free to copy any of my posts to whatever site you want.

But as I say, if the CC membership can refrain from using surge protectors, at least I've protected their equipment. Can't save everyone.

I seldom use social media myself. But, I've been known to use twitter weekly when Princess was offering their free coffee card promotion. I actually won one! Once I won the coffee card, I stopped the social media again. Also, I spend enough time at the computer screen, and don't want to add social media to my time wasting.

Thanks for the warning on surge suppressors at sea. Is this a recent thing, or is it something that has taken a while to link fires to surge suppressors? Up until a month or so back, I never heard about this.

Edited by knittinggirl

I seldom use social media myself. But, I've been known to use twitter weekly when Princess was offering their free coffee card promotion. I actually won one! Once I won the coffee card, I stopped the social media again. Also, I spend enough time at the computer screen, and don't want to add social media to my time wasting.

Thanks for the warning on surge suppressors at sea. Is this a recent thing, or is it something that has taken a while to link fires to surge suppressors? Up until a month or so back, I never heard about this.

The USCG Safety Notice was issued in April 2013, as a result of fires investigated prior to that time. This notice is what started the cruise lines from allowing power strips, and unfortunately it is only Carnival that has explicitly stated that the ban is for surge suppressors, and even the sister lines under the parent company have different statements of policy.

I want the two/three outlets, plus USB ports, plus the swivel, and I've not found anything like that yet.

I like the swivel myself, but, I believe I can get the same functionality by getting on that has a cord. That should allow me to plug it in, and position the receptacles as needed.

I like the swivel myself, but, I believe I can get the same functionality by getting on that has a cord. That should allow me to plug it in, and position the receptacles as needed.

I agree, the corded models will satisfy my needs, and if my surgury on the Belkin goes badly, I may have to go that way. The only reason I hesitate is that sometimes they see a cord in the x-ray and automatically hold the suitcase in security.

Makes sense.

I am seriously wondering if I need any traditional outlets at all. The last few times we have cruised, I think everything was plugged into the USB.

At some point I think cordless charging may be the best option, but, at the moment it only works with our phones and I didn't see any that also sported USB ports.

Makes sense.

I am seriously wondering if I need any traditional outlets at all. The last few times we have cruised, I think everything was plugged into the USB.

At some point I think cordless charging may be the best option, but, at the moment it only works with our phones and I didn't see any that also sported USB ports.

We still need the regular A/C outlet for the laptops, hair dryer, hair straightener, etc. But I have been using the 220V outlet for one laptop with an adapter, so that frees up one of the 110V outlets.

Edited by clarea

Maybe something like this? No traditional power, but, it would work for USB only and it has wireless options.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Wireless-Charging-Qi-Compatible-Receiver/dp/B00HWS31D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1461091350&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+charger+with+usb+ports

I think this still may have the surge protection issue.

Maybe something like this? No traditional power, but, it would work for USB only and it has wireless options.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Wireless-Charging-Qi-Compatible-Receiver/dp/B00HWS31D6/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1461091350&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+charger+with+usb+ports

I don't have any wireless charging devices yet, but it looks like it would be very useful. I like the fact that it has two 2.4A ports.

Yep.

Thanks to all of you for posting this info. I have never used a surge suppresor onboard, I only need to recharge my camera battery and my tablet battery so using the one outlet is enough. Sometimes I have a standard extension cord packed and it gets flagged, other times it doesn't.

On my other thread I asked for info about a dual voltage power strip to use while in Ireland, not on a cruise, on a land tour. I ordered one today, and since my chargers are already dual voltage and I have one of those adaptor plugs I should be good. The issue that came up is that if I have one of those power strips with me to use in a hotel pre or post cruise, will it be confiscated. Hate going down to the naughty room. It sounds as if I should just turn it in when I go onboard, and be delayed at end of trip to reclaim it. I won't need it onboard, and it does have a surge suppressor so now I know I don't want to use it. Or I guess I can just leave it home and make do with the one outlet in a hotel room.

Thanks to all of you for posting this info. I have never used a surge suppresor onboard, I only need to recharge my camera battery and my tablet battery so using the one outlet is enough. Sometimes I have a standard extension cord packed and it gets flagged, other times it doesn't.

On my other thread I asked for info about a dual voltage power strip to use while in Ireland, not on a cruise, on a land tour. I ordered one today, and since my chargers are already dual voltage and I have one of those adaptor plugs I should be good. The issue that came up is that if I have one of those power strips with me to use in a hotel pre or post cruise, will it be confiscated. Hate going down to the naughty room. It sounds as if I should just turn it in when I go onboard, and be delayed at end of trip to reclaim it. I won't need it onboard, and it does have a surge suppressor so now I know I don't want to use it. Or I guess I can just leave it home and make do with the one outlet in a hotel room.

If you don't want to go down to the naughty room, then put the power strip in your carry-on. They may still take it and keep it until the end of the cruise, but at least it won't delay any of your bags.