Booking Round Trip Flights

traveller236

Hello fellow cruisers,

We're first time Princess cruisers and would like some guidance about booking round trip flights.

Would you recommend booking flights through Princess EZAir flexible fares? I did a mock booking online and found a cheaper returned flight to FLL ($300 less than Princess for 2 of us). However, we 're sailing in December, so weather could be a factor , so having that late arrival protection might be worth paying the extra $150 pp. If so, would you recommend booking early or waiting closer to final fare payment date in case prices drop?

Also, does anyone know if both WestJet and Air Canada actually started to charge 1st checked baggage fees. I checked online and it appears WestJet doesn't, but it looks like Air Canada charges $26.25 CAD/USD for 1st checked bag Toronto to FLL? Is this right?

Thanks!:)

I would suggest some research on the Cruise Air board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

on the topic of "Consolidator air fares". You need to know what you are getting into. If price is your only priority, book through Princess. But understand they will book what is best for Princess, and if things go south, you are the lowest priority.

Hello fellow cruisers,

We're first time Princess cruisers and would like some guidance about booking round trip flights.

Would you recommend booking flights through Princess EZAir flexible fares? I did a mock booking online and found a cheaper returned flight to FLL ($300 less than Princess for 2 of us). However, we 're sailing in December, so weather could be a factor , so having that late arrival protection might be worth paying the extra $150 pp. If so, would you recommend booking early or waiting closer to final fare payment date in case prices drop?

Also, does anyone know if both WestJet and Air Canada actually started to charge 1st checked baggage fees. I checked online and it appears WestJet doesn't, but it looks like Air Canada charges $26.25 CAD/USD for 1st checked bag Toronto to FLL? Is this right?

Thanks!:)

The super cheapy fares on Air Canada and West jet , there is a checked baggage fee. Air Canada also charges for advance set selection for the super cheap fare. AC charges $25 CDN/USD each (first bag) for fares in the Tango and Flex .

Edited by Kamloops50

Thanks for the information Kamloops50! Although I don't find they're fares "super cheapy", I'm surprised to learn AC charges fees on the first checked baggage.

I think we'll fly with WestJet...they seem to have good reviews and don't charge fees on first checked baggage under 50 lbs.

Enjoy the rest of your day:)

If I am flying in on the day cruise, I will take Princess EZAir flex. Less worries. Check with Princess if you can avail refunds if price goes down. A call won't hurt.

Thanks for the information Kamloops50! Although I don't find they're fares "super cheapy", I'm surprised to learn AC charges fees on the first checked baggage.

I think we'll fly with WestJet...they seem to have good reviews and don't charge fees on first checked baggage under 50 lbs.

Ah.. Just to bring you up to date.... WestJet also charges a $25 fee for baggage, and they also charge for seat selection (started charging Sept of 2014). You are not getting a deal from either Air Canada or Westjet these days. No major airlines flying out of Canada will offer you free baggage any more..... (well that is not 100% true, you can buy Executive or Business Class, and get 1 free luggage)

I would be very wary of travelling into FLL from Canada on the day of the cruise, one never knows what the weather will be like. If you are making a connection ANYWHERE, in Canada, fly in 1 day earlier. Plus 1 night in FLL would be around $150-$200, and you have peace of mind you are in the right city.

If your flight arrives into FLL prior to 1 PM you "should"will be OK, anytime after that you would be trying to catch up to the cruise ship if there was a delay of any kind (and YYZ has loads of weather delays).

If you can get flexible with Princess EXAir, then you do not have to pay until final payment date, AND you get the comfort of them being responsible to get you to the next port. Bonus, is if the flight prices go down, you can get them to re-book at a lower price. Last time we booked flexible, it was cheaper than going with either AC or WJ directly.

One word of caution, Princess books in US$, even if you pay in Cdn$, and advance seat selection and luggage may be charged in US$.

Edited by Valiamo

I always check pricing on EZ Air but as a rule the prices are higher than booking direct with the airline. However a few years ago they did hit a home run for us, they had an open jaws program that flew us from YVR to LHR on to Rome then Venice to LHR and back to YVR for some $700 pp.

Canadian airfares aren't a bargain. We pay a lot more. I fly Air Canada regularly because it is the only airline that flies directly to Vancouver from Kamloops.

The super cheapy fares on Air Canada and West jet , there is a checked baggage fee. Air Canada also charges for advance set selection for the super cheap fare. AC charges $25 CDN/USD each (first bag) for fares in the Tango and Flex .

Super cheapy fares is a relative term. $150 instead $ 300 for a 1 hour flight is super cheapy.

Ah.. Just to bring you up to date.... WestJet also charges a $25 fee for baggage, and they also charge for seat selection (started charging Sept of 2014). You are not getting a deal from either Air Canada or Westjet these days. No major airlines flying out of Canada will offer you free baggage any more..... (well that is not 100% true, you can buy Executive or Business Class, and get 1 free luggage)

I would be very wary of travelling into FLL from Canada on the day of the cruise, one never knows what the weather will be like. If you are making a connection ANYWHERE, in Canada, fly in 1 day earlier. Plus 1 night in FLL would be around $150-$200, and you have peace of mind you are in the right city.

If your flight arrives into FLL prior to 1 PM you "should"will be OK, anytime after that you would be trying to catch up to the cruise ship if there was a delay of any kind (and YYZ has loads of weather delays).

If you can get flexible with Princess EXAir, then you do not have to pay until final payment date, AND you get the comfort of them being responsible to get you to the next port. Bonus, is if the flight prices go down, you can get them to re-book at a lower price. Last time we booked flexible, it was cheaper than going with either AC or WJ directly.

One word of caution, Princess books in US$, even if you pay in Cdn$, and advance seat selection and luggage may be charged in US$.

Thanks for bringing me up to date about WestJet's baggage fees. Whoops! I guess I was looking under Flex fare instead of Econo fare. And yes, I'm planning to fly to FLL a day early.

Thanks for all your great advice. Princess EZAir it is!

Thanks everyone for your replies and great suggestions. I will definitely fly in a day earlier and have decided to us Princess EZAir. With that being said, I will ask, which is perhaps, a dumb question.

Is there any benefit for me to call my TA and have her book the flight rather than doing it myself through the Princess Cruise Personalizer? Another words, will she see the same prices I'm seeing for WestJet?

Thanks again:):)

Thanks everyone for your replies and great suggestions. I will definitely fly in a day earlier and have decided to us Princess EZAir. With that being said, I will ask, which is perhaps, a dumb question.

Is there any benefit for me to call my TA and have her book the flight rather than doing it myself through the Princess Cruise Personalizer? Another words, will she see the same prices I'm seeing for WestJet?

Do it yourself. The travel agent might try and talk you out of using EZ AIR.

It's very easy. You will see your choices and times that are best for you.

Never a dumb question here... loads of interesting ones, but none dumb.

TA's will make additional $ on you booking your air with them, and you can get them to watch the ups and downs of the market as you get closer to the cruise dates. Watch as some will charge you a service fee for booking with them.

If you are planning on doing excursions or getting trip cancellation insurance, they can also help you. (source my SO was a cruise TA)

Your airfare will be the same price with EZAir whether you book it or your TA books it.

Remember EZAir is also part of your invoice, so make sure your TA knows about the booking if you do it yourself.

I did have a Princess rep ask me to have my TA call for the booking, but I said it was the TA's day off and I didn't want to lose the fare price.

My TA booked for me initially and got me the first reduced fare, but I called direct for the last three reductions. Have fun and good luck!!

Your airfare will be the same price with EZAir whether you book it or your TA books it.

Remember EZAir is also part of your invoice, so make sure your TA knows about the booking if you do it yourself.

I did have a Princess rep ask me to have my TA call for the booking, but I said it was the TA's day off and I didn't want to lose the fare price.

My TA booked for me initially and got me the first reduced fare, but I called direct for the last three reductions. Have fun and good luck!!

Good to know. Thanks!