kUMMELWERTH SANDWICH

Allow me to be the dumb one. What the heck is a Kummelwerth sandwich?

Kummelweck. Its a roast beef sandwich that seems to have a following like the old Honey Stung Chicken. Kummelweck is the roll its served on. Ive not been a ship that offer these.

This thing that people rave about but left me wondering what the heck all the fuss is about. It is a roast beef sandwich - not a big deal IMHO.

I didnt understand the hype with honey stung chicken. Its a frozen chicken pattie :o Carnival has the same type hype with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Thats one of the nastiest desserts Ive ever had in my life. Think undercooked chocolate cake. I LOVE a good roast beef sandwich though.

I think a lot of these items just signify you are finally on your cruise.

Edited by ryano

I didnt understand the hype with honey stung chicken. Its a frozen chicken pattie :o Carnival has the same type hype with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Thats one of the nastiest desserts Ive ever had in my life. Think undercooked chocolate cake.

Never had the chicken and never been on Carnival, so I can't help there. Lol.

This past summer on the Radiance I waited in line for that stupid sandwich and was completely underwhelmed. Haha!

As far as I know, the Kummelweck roast beef sandwich is not available on Freedom. At least it wasn't on any of our three times on her.

The sandwich has been a staple of the Park Cafe venue, which is not on Voyager or Freedom class ships. However, some have reported seeing the sandwich on some of these ships for limited times in Park Cafe and the Royal Promenade.

We tried it a couple of times on the Enchantment, first time it was roast beef and good but every time we walked by after that first day it just didn't look good. Finally asked and they said it was some sort of pork. Weird, thought it was supposed to be roast beef. It was very tough, didn't appeal to us at all.

Being from Buffalo, NY I have to chime in here.

Beef on weck is a huge staple, kind of like chicken wings.

Kummelweck - Its a roll with caraway seeds and salt on top. The rolls they make on the ship are softer version - the roll itself should be slightly crunchy so when you dip it, it softens up. It should be served like a French Dip sandwich with a cup of au jus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

Ugh. I know there is a following but I am not part of it. Awful, fatty, full of gristle, hard bun. Not good. So not good, I didn't want to try it again just to be sure it wasn't good. know what I mean? :p

Only good part of that sandwich is the mustard. No need to try it again...the second one is no better than the first.

Every post I read about this sandwich, I salivate. If it is indeed 12-14hr cooked roast beef it should be very tender and delicious. The video isn't helping! :p

I have always found it very tender. On Enchantment, they used to have raost pork at times, and that was no where near as tender as the beef.

Every post I read about this sandwich, I salivate. If it is indeed 12-14hr cooked roast beef it should be very tender and delicious. The video isn't helping! :p

done right they ARE. unfortunately on ships they tend to get it wrong more often than they get it right.

the trick is to ask for it sliced THIN instead of the thick slices they default to and to get both gravy and horseradish.

The one time I had it on Allure, I thought it dry and didn't care for it. Maybe I'll give it another go and try to remember to ask for it thinly sliced.

I might ask for extra sauce to make it less dry tasting. Can you ask for mayonnaise, haha?

Edited by Artemus

I didnt understand the hype with honey stung chicken. Its a frozen chicken pattie :o Carnival has the same type hype with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. Thats one of the nastiest desserts Ive ever had in my life. Think undercooked chocolate cake. I LOVE a good roast beef sandwich though.

I never understood the hype about the honey stung chicken. When I finally had it, I was so underwhelmed! Same with the savory bites of legend, which were much hyped 5 to 8 years ago around these parts.

I love roast beef and was excited to try the park cafe roast beef sandwich FINALLY, felt the same way - underwhelmed. It was alright but nothing to write home about! I'll try it again on my upcoming cruise and ask for mustard instead of the au jus.

But I will never again try the honey stung chicken lol. Do they even offer it anymore??

Being from Buffalo, NY I have to chime in here.

Beef on weck is a huge staple, kind of like chicken wings.

Kummelweck - Its a roll with caraway seeds and salt on top. The rolls they make on the ship are softer version - the roll itself should be slightly crunchy so when you dip it, it softens up. It should be served like a French Dip sandwich with a cup of au jus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

Schwabl's in West Seneca or The Beef n Barrel in Olean were my weck meccas.