Balcony Smokers on Allure

Second, does it really bother you to see people smoking because of breaking rules or are you just annoyed you have not managed to completely control others with your made up smoke is making me sick bull?

Are you for real? Smoke makes people sick is bull?

There really is no hope for mankind. Years and years of medical observation, totally unchallenged, has proven that smoking, either directly or by second hand smoke shortens life, but you think it's bull?

In other news the earth is flat and global warming is a conspiracy manufactured by the renewable energies companies.

I fear for our future, I really do.

He believes it is okay to smoke on balconies and non smokers shouldn't bother booking balconies.:confused:

I think you either have a reading comprehension or are confused on who posted what. I'll give you the benefit of the latter. Please re-read my posts, or perhaps others as well as I have never posted either of the two things that you claim! :cool:

My main criteria is - are that person's actions negatively impacting me or my family? My husband is a Desert Storm vet with lung damage from the oil fires. You smoke on your balcony near us so he has to breathe/smell it, you will get reported. You smoke on a balcony somewhere distant from us and I just happen to see you....eh. Not wasting my vacation time on reporting you.

This is my feeling EXACTLY! I don't really care who does what, but the minute it puts what I paid for in its crosshairs, I will not stop until it is resolved. Having a good time at others expense isn't tolerated. Thanks to Gambee for standing up to the smokers who didn't care if he could come outside or not.

The buffet line is a poor example for your argument....if someone isn't using tongs and scooping out food with their hands, I will politely ask the servers replace that particular dish (in your example you said not using the tongs correctly....I don't know how u don't use them correctly short of using your hands). In that circumstance, would I go to GS and "report" that a passenger is mishandling the tongs.....ummmmm, no....my apologies for the long response, I will get off my soapbox now :D

Using your "if you don't like the fact that people smoke on balconies, don't book a balcony" logic, shouldn't you just not use the buffet instead of reporting the offender? How is it any different?

I've read your posts. I guess you agree with me that zero is the acceptable amount

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

I don't smoke on balconies, but I'm not one to go all confrontational w/ the stuff I've read from you and others. As I've posted, they are ways that things can be handled and there are ways they can't be. You also won't find me 'creeping' on others, looking in balconies on the ship or other ships to find those dreaded smokers. Then come running to CC to post my findings.

Speaking of agreeing, I guess you agree w/ me that you should never ever speed or break any traffic laws as they can kill you and others much faster than a whiff of a cigarette smoke while on your balcony.

:rolleyes:

Using your "if you don't like the fact that people smoke on balconies, don't book a balcony" logic, shouldn't you just not use the buffet instead of reporting the offender? How is it any different?

Please point out to me where I said "don't report the offender"....if you want to report the offender, by all means, have at it....if your health and happiness on a vacation are contingent on not getting a whiff of second hand smoke on your balcony, and its happened to you on other trips, why would you continue to book a balcony? Book a window or inside stateroom and that guarantees you wont get second hand smoke on your balcony....simple

Now to address the ridiculous comparison of the buffet line....me personally, if I saw someone reach across and use their hands instead of tongs to touch a pieces of food, if it was something I wanted to eat, I would politely ask one of the buffet staff if they could replace the platter....if they didn't, I wouldn't select that portion. Whether they replaced it or not, I would not set my plate down, go down to guest services and "report" that person....NO

If I worked in guest services and you came up to me to "report" the guy in the green tank top touched something on the buffet line with his fingers, while trying to stifle my laugh I would tell you something like we will investigate your complaint right away sir/maam

Edited by First and Ten

Chair hoggers and queue bargers are irritating, however, people who use their hands to pick up food or drop the tong handles into the food after they have used them ( this is how they can be used incorrectly) risk passing gastro intestinal illnesses onto others. people who force others to breathe in their second hand smoke risk exposing others to lung cancer, heart disease and strokes. Significantly more serious than not being able to access a deck chair.

Speaking of agreeing, I guess you agree w/ me that you should never ever speed or break any traffic laws as they can kill you and others much faster than a whiff of a cigarette smoke while on your balcony.

If you gamble by speeding or breaking any traffic laws you are aware there are consequences involved if caught. I wouldn't try your luck smoking on a balcony next to my DH lol

:rolleyes:

Please point out to me where I said "don't report the offender"....if you want to report the offender, by all means, have at it....if your health and happiness on a vacation are contingent on not getting a whiff of second hand smoke on your balcony, and its happened to you on other trips, why would you continue to book a balcony? Book a window or inside stateroom and that guarantees you wont get second hand smoke on your balcony....simple

Now to address the ridiculous comparison of the buffet line....me personally, if I saw someone reach across and use their hands instead of tongs to touch a pieces of food, if it was something I wanted to eat, I would politely ask one of the buffet staff if they could replace the platter....if they didn't, I wouldn't select that portion. Whether they replaced it or not, I would not set my plate down, go down to guest services and "report" that person....NO

If I worked in guest services and you came up to me to "report" the guy in the green tank top touched something on the buffet line with his fingers, while trying to stifle my laugh I would tell you something like we will investigate your complaint right away sir/maam

Please point out to me where I said anything about setting your plate down and going down to guest services to report the buffet offender.

I don't smoke on balconies, but I'm not one to go all confrontational w/ the stuff I've read from you and others. As I've posted, they are ways that things can be handled and there are ways they can't be. You also won't find me 'creeping' on others, looking in balconies on the ship or other ships to find those dreaded smokers. Then come running to CC to post my findings.

Confrontational? Even the Ex-Police Officer told me to be confrontational and I said I don't think that is the right course of action. Let the staff handle it.

You won't find me creeping or looking at others and don't care what people on other ships do either. I only care if it impacts me; if it does I'll tell the appropriate department. Very simple.

I'm not going to get sucked into a nonsense strawman argument either. That gets us nowhere. It is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and I certainly think you are smart enough to know that.

Bottom line: If I book a balcony and smell smoke from a neighbor I am not going to get confrontational with them. I also am not going to negotiate or schedule anything with them either. I booked a balcony because RC said it is a smoke free environment and they employ people capable of handling the issue. Do I want someone fined or removed from the ship? No. But I don't really mind if that happens either. I just want to sit on my balcony without smelling smoke. Like I said, some people are doormats and will cave to the smokers. Not me.

Please point out to me where I said anything about setting your plate down and going down to guest services to report the buffet offender.

what would you do about said "buffet oaf"....are you "reporting them?

I think the buffet comparison to the balcony smoker is ridiculous, but you threw that in there

Edited by First and Ten

what would you do about said "buffet oaf"....are you "reporting them?

I think the buffet comparison to the balcony smoker is ridiculous, but you threw that in there

I'm asking you why you would report them (even just to a buffet staffer) instead of avoiding the buffet altogether, in light of your suggestion of avoiding booking a balcony room.

Why on Earth are we talking about traffic violations, chair hogs, buffet food touchers, etc. None of it is relevant. It's all just diversionary. Maybe some people should try sticking to the topic at hand: Balcony Smoking.

If you gamble by speeding or breaking any traffic laws you are aware there are consequences involved if caught. I wouldn't try your luck smoking on a balcony next to my DH lol

The consequences would be that you might get a ticket, verbal or written warning. What's your point?

Edited by Zigggypup

I think the OP was just making an observation- .

I think OP advocated a specific course of action: "An announcement needs to be made..."

Personally I find the in cabin announcements more intrusive and annoying than second hand smoke but if some cruise criticer on the ship across the dock says I should have to endure it I guess that's just the way it goes.

On the subject of fires, I would think anyone who has been on this board as long as OP would understand the volatile nature of his/her topic... Talk about reckless disregard for Internet safety!

Which brings me to the topic of Cyber-bullying. While I do not smoke, I certainly feel for those who are have a LEGAL habit/vice that they can no longer enjoy in a private, open air, area that they paid for. Even worse for those on e-cigs, being hearded into tiny, little, inconvenient ghettos of the ship with folks smoking the more hazardous stuff.

While I do not smoke, I certainly feel for those who are have a LEGAL habit/vice that they can no longer enjoy in a private, open air, area that they paid for. Even worse for those on e-cigs, being hearded into tiny, little, inconvenient ghettos of the ship with folks smoking the more hazardous stuff.

Either not enough smokers are asking for private lounges where they can smoke, or the cruiseline has determined catering to them is not a money maker. One or the other.

I'm asking you why you would report them (even just to a buffet staffer) instead of avoiding the buffet altogether, in light of your suggestion of avoiding booking a balcony room.

Again, I would not report them....I would politely ask for the staffer to replace that platter....if not, I wouldn't eat it. I don't smoke, if people next to me want to smoke on the balcony, have at it....it doesn't bother me personally....if my mental health and well being was contingent on not whiffing second hand smoke, I would limit my exposure to that....One way is NOT booking a balcony room

if you want to report people as you see fit, have at it, I don't care. You have your opinion, I have mine

Edited by First and Ten

Are you for real? Smoke makes people sick is bull?

There really is no hope for mankind. Years and years of medical observation, totally unchallenged, has proven that smoking, either directly or by second hand smoke shortens life, but you think it's bull?

In other news the earth is flat and global warming is a conspiracy manufactured by the renewable energies companies.

I fear for our future, I really do.

I also fear for a future - too many know it alls willing to enforce their views on others because they think they are smarter. Perhaps if we just re-adopted the aerosol cans we abandoned when we were worried that the loss of the Ozone layer would bring back the ice age all would be well.

I always book a balcony, as I prefer fresh air to canned air. Since RCCL has banned smoking on balconies, it is reasonable to expect a smoke free environment on the balcony. It is also reasonable to expect RCCL to enforce this rule.

Suggesting people NOT book a balcony because inconsiderate, non rule following smokers are asses is just plain stupid. Those who chose to smoke on their balconies run the risk of being fined or kicked off. I chose not to tolerate cigarette smoke and make a loud general announcement that smoking is banned and if it continues, I will make a report to guest services.

The consequences would be that you might get a ticket, verbal or written warning. What's your point?

Someone posted that smoking on the balcony against RCI's policy was ok because everyone breaks rules eg speeding So that's my point!

It seems like most posters here have a "live and let live" policy or "it's your vacation and relax and ignore the problem. We do have a live & let live attitude up until this type of behavior impacts us.

ps what is with your font?

Edited by Christine Frances

Oh Brother. What's your tough guy hubby gonna do to balcony smokers? :rolleyes: