I'm going on a cruise, and I'm bringing something that...

mistyinca

Clothes Pins are also PERFECT to put a few on the bottom of the shower curtain to keep it from swaying into you and sticking. The shower gets small sometimes and you can notice it with the sway of the ship! Just use an toss the last morning! 50-100 for a dollar!

Also, I love to take the magnets with the clips on them. You can put them on the wall in the stateroom and hang your damp stuff there. It dries MUCH fast out there than in the bathroom!

That is a very good idea. I have also noticed that the shower curtain moves around less of you have the bathroom door closed all the way. I think it has to do with the airflow.

Make it "more clear?" Perhaps they could go so far as to just make it clear! When separated by a comma the phrase in parentheses can serve to clarify only the word in front of it. in this case it is the cord, which is coupled with the adjective extension.

I travel with a Belkin three-outlet, two-USB compact power strip. It has never been confiscated, but if it ever is, I can cite Strunk and White at security!

I was guided over to this thread from another of the many threads I post to regarding surge protector devices. I have no idea of your background, but coul you please let me know why you think a surge protector on an extension cord is any different from a surge protector on a "wall wart" like the Belkin? The Carnival prohibited list is merely a case of a non-technical person writing a technical specification. They could have just gone the way of RCI and banned all power strips, multi-plugs and extension cords.

Go to this thread, and read my posts, check the links, particularly the USCG Safety Notice, and note that the surge protector did not fail and cause a fire, but that because something else failed on another circuit entirely, it caused the surge protector to catch fire. In this thread is also a link, at one of the later posts, to a thread where a CC member researched the science of surge protectors and came away convinced of their danger.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347868

I've got 40 years experience with shipboard electrical systems, and while I heartily recommend using the Belkin in your hotel room ashore, or at home, it is not needed, does not work properly, and is a safety hazard on ships.

Some extras I always take on a cruise:

Solid airwick air freshener to sit on the window sill, makes the cabin smell fresh.

Battery operated tea light for the bathroom nightlight

Clothespins to hang our swimsuits in the shower line

Small first aid kit

Small travel sewing kit

Tide stain pen

Various zip lock bags

small lint roller

I travel with a Belkin three-outlet, two-USB compact power strip. It has never been confiscated, but if it ever is, I can cite Strunk and White at security!

I had this type of compact power strip and while it wasn't confiscated, it did almost start a fire and melted my charging plug. YMMV

It was. I smelled something odd' date=' hot electrical if you know what I mean. Tracked it down and very quickly unplugged everything! :eek: Plain old boring power strips for me from now on![/quote']

Yikes! For some things I believe that simpler is better. In this case it definitely is. If I decide to get a multi plug for my next cruise, it will be like the one I posted before on another thread, I think. Just a simple straight across bar of 3 outlets that goes directly into the plug. No cord, no electronics. I think more people should use those. They are simple and anything that uses a USB can be plugged into an adaptor and then into the bar no problem.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I always bring my " cruise friendly" survival kit. 10 ft of paracord, 3 ft of duct tape, 2 paperclips, a needle, small LED light, single packs of wipes ( antiseptic, insect repellant, sanitizer and sunscreen) magnesium firestarter, whistle, 5 zip ties and a small multi tool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always bring my " cruise friendly" survival kit. 10 ft of paracord, 3 ft of duct tape, 2 paperclips, a needle, small LED light, single packs of wipes ( antiseptic, insect repellant, sanitizer and sunscreen) magnesium firestarter, whistle, 5 zip ties and a small multi tool.

You're kidding here right? What could you possibly need this stuff for? :eek:

I'm bringing bubbles, a white noise machine and a shampoo bar.

Bubbles - so much fun at sail away. Plus daily entertainment for my toddler!

White Noise Machine - as mentioned, it can get a bit noisy especially for my little who goes to bed earlier than most, this just smoothes out the bumps.

Shampoo Bar - I won't ever go back to liquid shampoo again. I love solid bar shampoos. A small bar will last forever (if treated right) and takes up almost no space. Plus for those carry-on only travelers it's one less liquid! - LOVE!

**This is a great thread**

I love the idea of a journal, just to jot a few things at the end of every day. A nice way to wind your brain down.

Also like the idea of magnet for papers. They are always get everywhere(did I mention the toddler)!! Now they will be out of reach.

You're kidding here right? What could you possibly need this stuff for? :eek:

Not kidding, paracord can be used to repair a lot from shoe laces to backpack straps, duct tape...anything, all the stuff is multipurpose and small, takes up almost no room and is light.

The difference between an emergency and an inconvenience is being prepared.

Hi Misty!:)

We bring some sort of board game or a puzzle that we roll up for easy carrying. You would be surprised how many people will stop and tell you where puzzle pieces go! We also like to bring smaller board games and we leave them for others to enjoy.

Since the Splendor situation (we were not onboard but were scheduled to go weeks after), we bring battery operated lights on every cruise. They offer softer lighting than what is in the room and in case of an emergency, we have light.

If we cruise longer than 3 or 4 days, we take our over the door shoe holder and use it for sunscreen, excursion tickets and other things so we don't clutter up the counters.

We also started bringing travel coffee mugs, like the ones they sell on Carnival. The coffee cups they provide are just not big enough for us.

Lots of great ideas in this thread!

Just dont get the duct tape and sunscreen wipes mixed up. An unexpected waxing can really ruin a good time

That's a cool idea! Hmmmmmm I wonder if I should bring my Cards Against Humanity deck....if the Quest game is a bust, CAH will cure the raunchy deficit...

We brought the CAH deck on the last cruise and always found places tucked away to play. We are bringing CAH for our upcoming cruise in October too.

All excellent ideas above! The one thing I can add is odd, but based on a tip from a crew member at a local restaurant (I live in Cape Canaveral). The crew, or their family back home, love t-shirts that have significant brand names. Like probably most of you, I get shirts from my company, fund-raising benefits, new company kick-offs, etc.

I love to sleep in t-shirts anyway, but for the last two cruises, I packed and left shirts behind for the crew. ++PLUS -- I got rid of shirts that I really did not care about, my cabin steward got shirts he/she wanted, and I got extra packing space in my departure luggage. Win Win!

That is a surge protector and isn't allowed because it's a safety hazard. Perhaps we should start a thread of things not to bring.

I have a version of this power strip that is not a surge protector. Absolutely awesome and small. Gets the job done!

OK, I thought this could be a fun and helpful thread.

I would love to see all the THINGS that you have found to bring on the cruise that maybe the next person never thought of. It could be something from the Fun Shops that's a good deal. Or it could be a gadget you found online somewhere that is great when traveling.

A pic, link, or ordering info would be helpful too!

I'll start:

I found these cool luggage tag holders so you can keep your carnival tags neat and don't have to tape or staple! I'm getting these before the next cruise! 511mBs6I0dL.jpg

and I picked up this travel power strip with usb plugs! 6181C7opylL._SL1200_.jpg

What cool item have you found for your cruise?!:)

I've been able to get this (nearly new) surge protector into my cabin for my 2 Carnival cruises in 2015 http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Advanced-3-Outlet-Surge-Protector-with-USB-Charging-14002/202203569?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-VF-PLA-D27E-Electrical%7c&gclid=CKPYvbr6rswCFc9ahgodmFsISw&gclsrc=aw.ds so, go ahead in bring yours if you purchased it already... I think it will be fine. Just know it could be removed if anyone thinks it's a fire hazard.

I have this Amazon list with stuff I'd like to bring: http://amzn.com/w/3A6L9P1S5AVJP

I've been able to get this (nearly new) surge protector into my cabin for my 2 Carnival cruises in 2015 http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Advanced-3-Outlet-Surge-Protector-with-USB-Charging-14002/202203569?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-VF-PLA-D27E-Electrical%7c&gclid=CKPYvbr6rswCFc9ahgodmFsISw&gclsrc=aw.ds so, go ahead in bring yours if you purchased it already... I think it will be fine. Just know it could be removed if anyone thinks it's a fire hazard.

I have this Amazon list with stuff I'd like to bring: http://amzn.com/w/3A6L9P1S5AVJP

What part of ALL SURGE PROTECTORS ARE FIRE HAZARDS do you not understand. Carnival says they are prohibited. Weve had someone who has worked on ships electrical for over 20 yrs say its a fire hazard and explain why and you still dont get it. Weve had another tell us about how his started burning. Just because yours was not detected in your bags with them checking thousands of other bags doesnt mean its acceptable and not a fire hazard. Fire on the open seas is not something to play around with and try and sneak past like rum runners.

Then to come on here and tell others to go ahead and try and sneak it through is irresponsible to say the least. Unbelievable!

What part of ALL SURGE PROTECTORS ARE FIRE HAZARDS do you not understand. Carnival says they are prohibited. Weve had someone who has worked on ships electrical for over 20 yrs say its a fire hazard and explain why and you still dont get it. Weve had another tell us about how his started burning. Just because yours was not detected in your bags with them checking thousands of other bags doesnt mean its acceptable and not a fire hazard. Fire on the open seas is not something to play around with and try and sneak past like rum runners.

Then to come on here and tell others to go ahead and try and sneak it through is irresponsible to say the least. Unbelievable!

I never said to sneak it past... All I said was that mine has been onboard and ok... Both cabin stewards saw it! I also said that they are at risk of being removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I never said to sneak it past... All I said was that mine has been onboard and ok... Both cabin stewards saw it! I also said that they are at risk of being removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Knowing now its banned by carnival because its a fire hazard would you even think of bringing yours aboard? Why would you tell others to go ahead and get it but it may be confiscated, knowing that its a fire hazard?

Do you really believe your steward KNOWS of the thousand of products on the market which ones are surge protected and which ones are not? Its one thing if you are unaware and bring it aboard not knowing but you have been educated by others and you still endorse leaving it up to your steward to confiscate the prohibited item.