Dress code men...

Mikiejag

So this is kinda a dead horse, but for men, what is the deal with closed toe shoes?

I was planning on light linen pants and a polo, with my Birkies...Perfect outfit, however, I have searched the forums and some people say ok, some are like no way, I have no problems with the pants, its the shoes...

I imagine there are two dining rooms, (going on the Dawn) and one is more formal than the other I am guessing, thus the reason for the varied opinions.

I am thinking guys get the short end of the stick on this, and may need to pack some closed (like all the way) shoes vs the sandals I had planned on.

Thanks for any opinions, read the NCL site and they are just a vague. Smart casual...

So this is kinda a dead horse, but for men, what is the deal with closed toe shoes?

I was planning on light linen pants and a polo, with my Birkies...Perfect outfit, however, I have searched the forums and some people say ok, some are like no way, I have no problems with the pants, its the shoes...

I imagine there are two dining rooms, (going on the Dawn) and one is more formal than the other I am guessing, thus the reason for the varied opinions.

I am thinking guys get the short end of the stick on this, and may need to pack some closed (like all the way) shoes vs the sandals I had planned on.

Thanks for any opinions, read the NCL site and they are just a vague. Smart casual...

While you're right, one dining room is invariably more formal than the other, part of the free style cruising ethos is that you can be as formal as you like. But if you want to opt for some closed toe shoes but keep the resort/holiday vibe (and despite the fact that I'm the last person who should give out fashion advice) then perhaps you might want to opt for some sort of canvas deck shoe?

They'll be as light weight as your sandals, and fairly airy. In fact you might end up wearing them elsewhere as a sandal alternative.

Certainly when I went on my last NCL cruise I didn't take a pair of black leather shoes, and I don't plan to on my next cruise either. I think I wore dark brown walking boots in the dining rooms the last time, although that was winter in the Med so I might have to think about some sort of deck shoe related solution for the next one myself.

I have worn and will continue to wear jeans, t-shirt and barefoot shoes to all dining venues including specialties when we cruise Alaska. I have never felt out of place and never had a complaint as many others dress similarly.

But never flip flops..

Below from NCL Site. Differentiates Resort Casual and Smart Casual

"When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants.

For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops.

Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise. We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly. Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items. "

NCL cruisers dress as a whole really badly. What you had planned on wearing sounds very nice.

Our very last NCL cruise ...which will be our last....I saw a guy in camo shorts and flip flops for dinner. I don't know about the closed toe shoes because my husband wears a nice pair of loafers.

I saw a guy in camo shorts and flip flops for dinner...Now that takes the cake...

But I am going to err on the safe side, just bringing the deck shoes, I am good with it.

And as many have said the policies are there, but then the caveat it with...its your cruise, the freestyle way...I am a little stuck up and kinda snobby, so by no means would I be that casual, but the heft of my suitcase gave me a little pause...lol

Thanks all.

...Some sandal alternatives that have a closed toe are Keen. I live in them in the summer.

Actually have these as well and love them. They are my go-to shoe for the excursions and around the ship. And just relaxing. Love them.

In America it seem that flip flops are now called sandals. I wear sandals around the ship, i don't see anything wrong with that however i like European sandals which are leather with straps and actually look nice. I take care of my feet so i guess i can wear them. I don't wear sandals in the main dining room around dinner but if you do more power to you and if the staff says there is no problem i don't see why should we. I have to admit i have seen men that you would think they were in a cave somewhere, they could hang by a tree with those toe nails or catch a pray for that matter..LOL but once again to each its own :D

someone on here said something like looking at toes under the table, who in the world does that? Geez focus on your meal :-)

To me, flip flops aren't really sandals. They are plastic/rubber, the kind of thing you would wear into the shower at the gym. Sandals to me are leather. When people say "Jesus sandals"? Those. The kinds of things that Jesus would have worn. Or there could be more synthetic ones like Tevas.

In any event, I agree with you that I'm not sure why people are so concerned about what men wear on their feet. I've seen shorts and T-shirts in the dining room. I wouldn't think anything about a man in sandals / flip flops / open toes in the dining room. I wouldn't do it myself but it seems others do.

To me, flip flops aren't really sandals. They are plastic/rubber, the kind of thing you would wear into the shower at the gym. Sandals to me are leather. When people say "Jesus sandals"? Those. The kinds of things that Jesus would have worn. Or there could be more synthetic ones like Tevas.

In any event, I agree with you that I'm not sure why people are so concerned about what men wear on their feet. I've seen shorts and T-shirts in the dining room. I wouldn't think anything about a man in sandals / flip flops / open toes in the dining room. I wouldn't do it myself but it seems others do.

exactly, :):).

I like the original outfit mentioned by the OP. I think that would look great. I don't care if men wear sandals any more than if women do. As long as people are clean, I couldn't care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

LOL...So I was just flipping through the Dailies on the Dawn from Jan and they specifically that cruise casual (Khaki type shorts and collard shirts) is acceptable everywhere except Venetian and La Bistro. Which really explains everything.

And I personally dislike how the Flip flop phenomenon has taken over, wear them anywhere? No. Personally the closest I come to that are the Jesus quality sandals.

Just had to comment because living in Europe for years I know what the sights by the waters being made in nightmares are all about...lol..

Even better I will specifically be looking at feet this entire cruise...I will report back as well. :)