Norwegian left a mom behind with her kids on board

Sigyn

Betcha she's kicking herself for having left the ship for shoes.

Hilarious!!!!

.....but I bet she got a GREAT deal!!

Interesting side note. We did a bus tour of LA the day before we left. As we stopped the tour guide would write in large letters the time we must be back on the bus and he explained it was a courtesy to others and kept us on track.

This one group of men and women kept showing up later and later. The people on the bus (including myself) would give them the evil eye and they were completely oblivious when they boarded the bus. Our stop in Hollywood was the final straw. We waited an extra 20 minutes for the ladies to return from shopping. The bus drive said we are leaving with or without them and the men were very insulted. We did indeed leave without them and it brought a smile to my face.

Yikes! Tough crowd. I have never missed a ship, or held a ship up, and like most here have seen many a video of Pier Runners, and didn't feel that bad for them. However, in this case.....I don't know what I think. Its apparent based on the video and the fact that no one knew where she was, that she hadn't had a medical emergency, and was in all likelihood shopping and lost track of time. She is lucky that her husband had their passports, and the children were with family members. But she is a real person, with real feelings, and her anguish of watching the ship sail away, with her children on board was very real.

She paid a very high price, in more ways than one I would imagine, for her transgression. I think we can afford her a little compassion.

I agree with you that she is a human being and I'm sure her anguish was real. But I'm not sure why the fact that I don't feel sorry for her makes me a bad person.

The people I have compassion for are her children. They are probably used to her irresponsibility. She is probably the one that is always late picking her kids up from school or practice and making the teachers and coaches wait around for her, because she lost track of time or because she was on the phone. She is probably one of those people who think that the world will wait for them.

Well, she certainly learned a lesson here. I doubt she would ever come forward, but I would be curious to get the whole story one day. Maybe somebody who has seen the video will recognise her or her husband and they can be contacted for comment.

And I think it might have been touched upon in the previous thread, but someone said Nassau no longer uses a pilot boat to help out people who missed the ship. Two years ago I saw a family miss the Disney Wonder, and it stopped for them and they used a pilot boat. Is this something that is up to the captain's discretion? I suppose if he had already waited 50 minutes that he probably thought enough was enough, even if it was an option.

Hilarious!!!!

.....but I bet she got a GREAT deal!!

Interesting side note. We did a bus tour of LA the day before we left. As we stopped the tour guide would write in large letters the time we must be back on the bus and he explained it was a courtesy to others and kept us on track.

This one group of men and women kept showing up later and later. The people on the bus (including myself) would give them the evil eye and they were completely oblivious when they boarded the bus. Our stop in Hollywood was the final straw. We waited an extra 20 minutes for the ladies to return from shopping. The bus drive said we are leaving with or without them and the men were very insulted. We did indeed leave without them and it brought a smile to my face.

My dad was a professor of Int'l business so he would take his students to various multiweek trips to foreign countries to visit their business + some touristy stuff too.

One trip to China a person kept coming down to the bus late from her hotel room. Day after day after day. After 4 days in, my dad took out her passport and handed it to her saying in front of everyone, "you have your own passport now. set your watch to the time on my watch. if you are more than 5 minutes late you have our itinerary and I expect you to make it to all our stops today on your own."

She wasn't late again the rest of the 3 week trip.

That story per my dad of course, so I'm sure he played up how hard he was on her.

Perhaps another backfire, eh, Pizza?

:)

Trip, the other was fine, and the other poster said she understood. I got pissed that you erroneously said I was arguing the DSC. I've never discussed or argued the DSC on CC and never would, and I get pissed when others do, so that comment of yours really rubbed me wrong. Yeah, what I said there backfired, but it's kind of your fault for misreading my comment. The poster I actually addressed understood when I pointed out her misinterpretation. It should have ended there.

(And this thread can be hijacked, since it was dead and buried days ago, and has unfortunately come to life. Ugh!). [emoji3]

Edited by LrgPizza

You can question me all you want , it is a FACT!

I don't buy it.

Are you one of those people who shows up annoyingly early, like a half hour early for a dinner party when the host isn't ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't buy it.

Are you one of those people who shows up annoyingly early, like a half hour early for a dinner party when the host isn't ready?

It's true. He's actually planning on showing up early for his own funeral. ;)

I don't buy it.

You don't have to buy it either, and talk about annoying!

Why, she lacks personal responsibility and really sucks at time management. For whatever reason she missed the ship. According to ALL reports of the story, it was not due to some sort of an emergency that prevented her from boarding on time. "SHE IS AN IDIOT".

She had a responsibility as a parent, to get to her family. And failed big time. But she will sue for the mental anguish of watching the big, bad, boat take her children away from mommy.

There isn't enough information in the news story to say this woman lacks personal responsibility or is an idiot. I love how the masses turn to name calling when they can't think of anything else to say.

There can be any number of reasons why she was late from yes, losing track of time to traffic to having a bathroom emergency from drinking contaminated water or food poisoning. No matter the reason, she did miss the ship by more than 30 minutes, but at no time were the children in any danger of being stranded without adult supervision. She and her husband are paying a steep financial price for this I'm sure.

Her children were with their Father and Uncle, not left alone. The Father made a decision to send the children home with the Uncle rather than leaving his wife in a foreign country with no passport to get home.

This whole incident was handled in a professional manner by NCL and the Father. There is no mention of the family filing a suit against NCL so your statement is an assumption at best. Given the circumstances of the husband voluntarily leaving the ship a lawsuit is unlikely.

As for the rest of the passengers, I'm not sure how missing out of an additional 30 minutes of gambling is going to ruin their day.

There isn't enough information in the news story to say this woman lacks personal responsibility or is an idiot. I love how the masses turn to name calling when they can't think of anything else to say.

Not everyone has resorted to name calling.

There can be any number of reasons why she was late from yes, losing track of time to traffic to having a bathroom emergency from drinking contaminated water or food poisoning.

Of course, there can be a VALID reason for being late. However, it is most likely that the reason is not valid. After all of this time, no valid reason has been given. Ask yourself "Why?"

No matter the reason, she did miss the ship by more than 30 minutes, but at no time were the children in any danger of being stranded without adult supervision. She and her husband are paying a steep financial price for this I'm sure.

The fact that the children were taken care of makes her "heartfelt plea" of "my kids are on-board..." even more overly dramatic. Unless she was offering some form of service, dropping to her knees wasn't going to get the captain to change his mind.

Her children were with their Father and Uncle, not left alone. The Father made a decision to send the children home with the Uncle rather than leaving his wife in a foreign country with no passport to get home.

...and the mother made the decision to be on her own (shopping?) in a foreign country with no passport to get home. But, that was all OK because the ship would never leave without her. :rolleyes:

This whole incident was handled in a professional manner by NCL and the Father. There is no mention of the family filing a suit against NCL so your statement is an assumption at best. Given the circumstances of the husband voluntarily leaving the ship a lawsuit is unlikely.

The captain went beyond the call of duty by waiting as long as he did.

As for the rest of the passengers, I'm not sure how missing out of an additional 30 minutes of gambling is going to ruin their day.

By that line of thinking, the last port shouldn't even have a departure time. It should just be "we'll leave when everyone feels like returning to the ship..."

There can be any number of reasons why she was late from yes, losing track of time to traffic to having a bathroom emergency from drinking contaminated water or food poisoning. No matter the reason, she did miss the ship by more than 30 minutes, but at no time were the children in any danger of being stranded without adult supervision. She and her husband are paying a steep financial price for this I'm sure.

I agree with everything you said.

I agree with you that she is a human being and I'm sure her anguish was real. But I'm not sure why the fact that I don't feel sorry for her makes me a bad person.

It's just how the internet works. It's like highway traffic. Everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

You would need real facts on the ground to have the whole story. And we're probably never going to be provided that level of detail. A lot of people want to throw tomatoes but I'd be surprised if everyone is so perfect under the light of day. Let's just all agree that NCL did what they had to do and the Dad/Uncle did the best that they could do. I really would hate for anyone to miss a ship. Most of us have been young and stupid (or at least one of those to a degree).

“Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.” --Elbert Hubbard

It's just how the internet works. It's like highway traffic. Everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.

No, when I'm driving, everyone else on the road is an idiot. Period.