Norwegian left a mom behind with her kids on board

Sigyn

Cruise staff located the woman's husband and her children on board the ship but were unable to reach her and did not know when she was returning, according to Norwegian. After the ship waited an extra 30 minutes for her, her husband agreed to disembark with their travel documents to wait for his wife while the children stayed on board with their uncle and his family for the remainder of the trip.

Norwegian offered travel and lodging assistance to the couple, they said, and made arrangements to reunite them with their family at the ship's next port.

Don't you be late:D

If it was the same piece I saw on NBC this morning, it said that NCL assisted in lodging and transportation, not paid for it.

With late arrival and late checkout option included in their bookings no doubt.

I wonder why the mother left the kids behind, was there a medical emergency that the ship doctor couldn't handle and told her to go to a hospital on shore?

Just thinking of a reason I'd leave my children behind... She didn't abandon them, the father was on the ship before he went to look for her, and the children were with the uncle for the rest of the cruise.

If she just went on a tour, bad time management. I wonder if the family will ever sail again :)

NCL did nothing wrong. This woman choose shopping over her kids. She is a poor excuse for a mother.

She's a poor excuse for a mother because she left the kids with their dad (who then left them with an uncle)? That's a new one to me, but maybe you have different personal circumstances.

She is a moron for missing the ship. But guess what? Moms leave kids with dads all the time. You should try it.

She should probably not cruise again, since the concept of managing time might be lost on her.

Yikes! Tough crowd. I have never missed a ship, or held a ship up, and like most here have seen many a video of Pier Runners, and didn't feel that bad for them. However, in this case.....I don't know what I think. Its apparent based on the video and the fact that no one knew where she was, that she hadn't had a medical emergency, and was in all likelihood shopping and lost track of time. She is lucky that her husband had their passports, and the children were with family members. But she is a real person, with real feelings, and her anguish of watching the ship sail away, with her children on board was very real.

She paid a very high price, in more ways than one I would imagine, for her transgression. I think we can afford her a little compassion.

She's a poor excuse for a mother because she left the kids with their dad (who then left them with an uncle)? That's a new one to me, but maybe you have different personal circumstances.

She is a moron for missing the ship. But guess what? Moms leave kids with dads all the time. You should try it.

She should probably not cruise again, since the concept of managing time might be lost on her.

I don't agree with you much. However, on this one you nailed it...

Yikes! Tough crowd. I have never missed a ship, or held a ship up, and like most here have seen many a video of Pier Runners, and didn't feel that bad for them. However, in this case.....I don't know what I think. Its apparent based on the video and the fact that no one knew where she was, that she hadn't had a medical emergency, and was in all likelihood shopping and lost track of time. She is lucky that her husband had their passports, and the children were with family members. But she is a real person, with real feelings, and her anguish of watching the ship sail away, with her children on board was very real.

She paid a very high price, in more ways than one I would imagine, for her transgression. I think we can afford her a little compassion.

Why, she lacks personal responsibility and really sucks at time management. For whatever reason she missed the ship. According to ALL reports of the story, it was not due to some sort of an emergency that prevented her from boarding on time. "SHE IS AN IDIOT".

She had a responsibility as a parent, to get to her family. And failed big time. But she will sue for the mental anguish of watching the big, bad, boat take her children away from mommy.

Yikes. Did you guys see the video of the Norwegian ship that left the mom behind on the dock with her three kids still on board? It happened April 21 in the Bahamas.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom-cries-dock-cruise-ship-204400580.html

The title of this thread is classic mis-information - it suggests the children were alone on the ship. The father was with them - until he made a rational decision to leave the children with a responsible adult relative so he could join his (obviously irresponsible) wife with travel documents so he could get her home - apparently deciding that she was not competent enough to get back on her own.

He was in a tough position - and was fortunate that the children's uncle was there - the wife was really fortunate that the uncle was aboard --- otherwise the husband would have had to make one of two tough choices:

A) Stay with the children and let the mom find her way home.

B) Get off the ship with the children - making the trip home all the more difficult and expensive.

Why, she lacks personal responsibility and really sucks at time management. For whatever reason she missed the ship. According to ALL reports of the story, it was not due to some sort of an emergency that prevented her from boarding on time. "SHE IS AN IDIOT".

She had a responsibility as a parent, to get to her family. And failed big time. But she will sue for the mental anguish of watching the big, bad, boat take her children away from mommy.

+1

ex techie

I totally agree with you.

If I was traveling with family and was going to miss the ship I would hope my husband would get off and wait for me. I know my kid's would be safe with their other family members. She missed the ship that doesn't make her a bad mother.

Only thing that comes to my mind is the constantly switching of times on some of the Caribbean cruises. I kept checking the room phone to be sure what time it was. My watch is tough to reset so I did not change it. But an I Phone set properly should keep the correct time.

Anyway, I'm not going to stone her since I don't have all the possibilities.

Best advice is to always get back to the ship with at least an hour to spare.

I hope her hubby is an easy going one. Doesn't sound like the rest of their trip will be too enjoyable. Good luck Uncle.

I think the next port stop was disembarkation in New York 3 days later.

Children enjoying the rest of the cruise, while the parents stick it out in NY.

Children under 18 have to sleep with an adult in a cabin.

They can't be left alone, right?

Wonder how sleeping arrangements are made under these circumstances.