Room Stewards

asalligo

Freedom 04/16/16 to 04/23/16 Eastern Caribbean cabin 1035 out of Galveston. FTTF.

Meet by the assistant steward Yuda within 10 minutes of arriving at the cabin to introduce himself and ask if we needed anything. 2 hours later the steward Jojo introduced himself as we were returning from Guy's.

Received twice a day service except one morning when we left the Snoozing sign out and one morning when my DW was sick and I meet Jojo in the hallway and told him not to service the room that morning.

Edited by Papa_Bear_

I honestly believe both.

Yes. There are enough people reporting that they were expressly told they must choose one and enough people reporting that they were given the option of both that I believe both experiences are true. Clearly your experience depends on your steward if you are on a ship testing the Comfort Matters program. Why the stewards are still not giving consistent information is debatable. And this inconsistency is a major reason this issue is still being discussed.

Just because it is not important to you does not mean others do not value that service. I'm sure there are plenty of things you feel are important that others would prefer to do without. Nice addition to the thread.:rolleyes:

I agree with Lizard,and you can roll your eyes forever for anyone that cares. If I am in a 5 star AI, I expect, several stops by housekeeping. They cost so much, I expect my niceties. On a cruise, I want to wake up, leave when I choose, have the bed made and trash removed, towels replaced. Oh, and of course ice replaced. Otherwise, I prefer them to just leave us alone. When they used to do turn down service and left chocolates, that was a reason for a 2nd visit. Though I have to admit, we never ate the candy, just took with, and passed it on. Otherwise, as he/she insinuated, are any of us us so messy we need 2 visits per day? We always leave the standard tips on and always tip the room steward extra, as long as our ice is kept full. Though maybe I am not taking into effect that some people are traveling with rooms that have more than 2 people in it.

It it,has been and continues to be a choice on certain ships. Unfortunately, reading comprehension is a skill and many people do not have it. Ships without the option, remain the traditional twice a day service.

So you are saying Podna who posted in this thread has no reading comprehension?:eek:

Bill

This has been beaten to death for months now. It is being tested on at least one ship, maybe two. The steward is supposed to get together with you on embarkation day and fill out a "Comfort" card. This will give him directions on what to do to meet your comfort needs. Includes you choice of room servicing: in the morning, turn down service, or BOTH. Do you want an ice bucket or not, and when do you want ice. Do you want robes, yes or no. And there may be a couple of other things. You will get exactly what you ask for. There is not a timetable for when it will be rolled out to the entire fleet. Until that time, services from the room stewards is supposed to be the same as it has been for years. It is hard to believe that this thing has gotten so blown out of proportion. This is just an attempt to test a better way for the stewards to know what your needs are. Relax.

Totally agree with this. And very well stated.

This simply isn't so. John Heald says if you want twice a day service ask and you shall receive. Our card last week was printed with the word "Both" right on there.

Yet you have two separate cruisers from two separate ships telling you they did NOT get an option for twice a day. Who do you believe? :rolleyes:

The people who are informed. Not the people who should have researched and/or didn't raise the issue that they knew they should be getting twice a day if they wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The original cards did not have the both option written, but all you simply had to do was to check both choices ( "morning" and "evening" ) and you got both. You just have to be smarter than the card.

Edited by HawkIVette

The original cards did not have the both option written, but all you simply had to do was to check both choices ( "morning" and "evening" ) and you got both. You just have to be smarter than the card.

And, based on numerous reports, at times you have to argue with your steward and/or go to guest services and complain. Both of which interfere with your cruising experience.

Our room was cleaned twice a day on our cruise last week with out us asking. Even though we keep our room pretty clean on our own so the only thing the room steward really would have to do is exchange out used towels and leave our fun times. I even replaced the empty kleenex box and toilet paper roll....that's the mom in me. Lol Our room steward, Rudy, was wonderful though and even thanked us for picking a room on his hall before we left.

That's not true. It's now on 6 ships. Many times those that thought they were smarter than the card were told SORRY, IT'S ONE OR THE OTHER.

That is now almost down to a trickle. as it was exposed what Carnival was trying to do and they got caught, but it's STILL happening. It seems it's at the steward level now, those seeking out subjects to find to offer limited service.

I STILL haven't seen a BOTH card, even though someone up thread said they had one.

This is just another one of those things where I just don't get why people complain. Its obviously cut back to save on costs, which most cruisers want. Those select few who would pay more to get better service, they can. I bet if on day one of the cruise, you hand your steward a $20 and say "please make up my room 4 times and day and keep the ice bucket full, I will take care of you after the cruise," I bet you wont be disappointed.

If you want to pay more for more of a service, just do it. No one is stopping you

This is just another one of those things where I just don't get why people complain. Its obviously cut back to save on costs, which most cruisers want. Those select few who would pay more to get better service, they can. I bet if on day one of the cruise, you hand your steward a $20 and say "please make up my room 4 times and day and keep the ice bucket full, I will take care of you after the cruise," I bet you wont be disappointed.

If you want to pay more for more of a service, just do it. No one is stopping you

But they are actually increasing the automatic gratuity amount, so where am I saving? I don't want to pay more on top of that to receive the service I was used to. Honestly, though, I think that there was enough of an uproar they've backed off on transitioning to once-a-day but are not making all stewards make that clear to guests.

Was she on the Dream? That is the only ship that I've heard of that is busting passengers stones. Someone needs to fix that. You should have the CHOICE of AM, PM, or BOTH.

She was on the Dream out of New Orleans, it is our closest port. She claims that she was never presented with a choice that she is aware of and that the room was only cleaned in the morning.

I know to many this would just be a minor inconvenience and I guess to me also, it would not ruin my cruise, but this combined with three or four more similar cutbacks would. I do not want much in the evening, just a quick tidy and turn down service like I insist my own wife do at home before bed. I guess I can have her do it, but it doesn't seem right, she is on vacation also.

You already are paying more. You are getting half the service you used to get but still paying the same amount in gratuities.:)

Bill

This simply isn't so. John Heald says if you want twice a day service ask and you shall receive. Our card last week was printed with the word "Both" right on there.

Our paper (it was not a card and the cabin steward had it in his hand) on Splendor said "WHICH ONE WOULD SUIT YOU BEST" I asked "So morning or night?" and he said "yes, morning or evening". Seems to differ greatly by ship

Totally agree with this. And very well stated.

This is not true of Splendor. I'm not stupid and I can read. The cabin steward had a piece of paper that he had on a clipboard, not a "Comfort Card" that we were given. I specifically looked at the paper while he held it to see what it said because I was intrigued by all of the debates on here. The piece of paper clearly had check boxes that had TWO options for "cabin service"....morning or evening. The word both was not anywhere on the paper. It also had boxes at the bottom that asked about extra towels, ice, robes, etc.

You can. If your steward says no ... go to guest services and let them know.

We like 2X a day ...

Morning - regular service

Evening - replace used towels and re-filling the ice bucket

Quoting myself :D

After having the cabin serviced in the morning I do not think it unreasonable to expect, in the evening, a way to have :

1. Dry towels - there's nowhere in the cabin to hang them so they'll be dry for a second shower if necessary and no where to get them otherwise.

2. Ice bucket being refilled since guests do not have access to ice on their own and we do use ice late in the evening. The ice fill in the morning is melted by dinner time.

[attach]384510[/attach]

This was not used on Splendor. My steward had a printed 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper that had the options morning or evening and our cabin number. Nothing about both. Deceptive if you ask me.

This is not true of Splendor. I'm not stupid and I can read. The cabin steward had a piece of paper that he had on a clipboard, not a "Comfort Card" that we were given. I specifically looked at the paper while he held it to see what it said because I was intrigued by all of the debates on here. The piece of paper clearly had check boxes that had TWO options for "cabin service"....morning or evening. The word both was not anywhere on the paper. It also had boxes at the bottom that asked about extra towels, ice, robes, etc.

This was not used on Splendor. My steward had a printed 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper that had the options morning or evening and our cabin number. Nothing about both. Deceptive if you ask me.

I guess I wouldn't sail on the Splendor then.

Edited by HawkIVette