Have you ever considered living on a cruise ship

W8tn2sail

Below is a link to an article about Mario Salceda (Super Mario) who has spent most of the past 20 years living aboard Royal Caribbean ships.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-05-06/this-man-has-been-living-on-cruise-ships-for-twenty-years?mbid=nl_050916_Daily&CNDID=23627582&spMailingID=8898450&spUserID=MTA5NDU2MjcxNjUzS0&spJobID=920930642&spReportId=OTIwOTMwNjQyS0

Very interesting idea!

So how does food work on the ship with condos? Is these a MDR? Do the condos have their own kitchens so pax can cook? How would food provisioning work?

The website I referenced explains it all. That ship has condos and there are also several restaurants, a food market, a deli, a coffee shop, a bar, a library, a gym, a spa, a pool, etc. Lecturers and such are brought on board from time to time. Most of the condos have kitchens, too.

- Joel

Below is a link to an article about Mario Salceda (Super Mario) who has spent most of the past 20 years living aboard Royal Caribbean ships.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-05-06/this-man-has-been-living-on-cruise-ships-for-twenty-years?mbid=nl_050916_Daily&CNDID=23627582&spMailingID=8898450&spUserID=MTA5NDU2MjcxNjUzS0&spJobID=920930642&spReportId=OTIwOTMwNjQyS0

Very interesting idea!

When we were on the Allure of the Seas last December, the ship ran an interview with Mario on TV. It was a half hour interview and he is a very interesting guy. He said he rotates ships. At that time, he was on the Independence but I just read where he is now on Navigator for several months. In the interview, he said that Royal offered to let him be on the inaugural sailing of their newest ship and he made it sound like the week long cruise would be courtesy of Royal for his loyalty to them. He has over 6,000 nights on different Royal ships. The lifestyle sounds interesting, but I personally would probably get tired of it after a few weeks. What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

I met Momma Lou on one of the HAL cruises. She has a uniform from every dept. I read some where that she left HAL when they stopped hiring men to dance with guest.

Mama Lou used to stay on HAL ships most of the year -- for quite a few years.

Haven't heard anything about her in quite a while.

She left HAL for Crystal about 5 years ago when they eliminated gentleman hosts according to an interview I read with her. She's one of 4 ladies living full time aboard Serenity, reportedly there are some on Symphony as well.

There was a gigantic thread on the Solos board some years back started by Musicus (?). He was an elderly gentleman who decided to live aboard MSC and was able to set a contract with them. He has since passed. He did have some issues when he became ill and had to be hospitalized and recover in another country.

I came across Egon and his trip when I started to use CC. As much as he had some family, he wasn't ready to go into a home and vegetate. In the time he was on board, he had ups and downs, but he was a prolific email writer, poster to CC, and had free access to ship's piano so entertained on a regular basis. Personally, I think they should have hired him as a musician and 'host' and given him free room and board. If my choice was an 'old folks home' or a cruise ship; I'd take the cruise ship.

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226852