Have you ever considered living on a cruise ship

W8tn2sail

Maybe in my next life. (a girl can dream.) <sigh>

When I sailed on the Royal Viking Sea I met up with a woman who lived on that ship; her name was Grace. When the line sold the ship, all I could think was that she had lost her home.

There was another woman named Rosemary (Roberts?) who lived on RVL for years when I worked for the line. My parents met her on a world cruise segment. She was famous (notorious?) for nudging people who occupied her preferred front row seat with her cane at the evening shows.

While reading the thread about world cruise expenses I began to wonder if any couple on this board had considered living on a cruise ship full time or at least part of the year. Retirement homes can cost (at least in my area) 4-6K a month for a couple. Which HAL dept. would be the contact for such information?

Ask Dolly on the Amsterdam....

I'd love to do this but I'd miss a sense of fixed community with friends, and I'd miss being with family.

There is a ship that is for people who want to do this, though. "The World" is a ship with only condos, and so there is a fixed community, and you sail around the world with them (http://aboardtheworld.com)

- Joel

Mama Lou used to stay on HAL ships most of the year -- for quite a few years.

Haven't heard anything about her in quite a while.

Copper sailed with Mama Lou and posted some photos ofc her withing last 8 months or so.

Edited by sail7seas

I love cruising, but only as a get away from my regular life - I really wouldn't want it to become my life. I would miss friends, family, my pets, running to the mall to shop - just living on my own time and schedule. I like to drive my car and take road trips also. I get really tired of cruise food after 14 days, so 2 or 3 weeks at a time is about all I want to do. I used to think I would love a world cruise, but have come to the conclusion, I would rather go where I want and when and not be confined to a schedule for that long.

Edited by mek

In the Conde Nast internet travel briefing out today (published regularly) there is an article about Mr. Mario Saucedo, a 65 yr old man who effectively lives full time on a RC ship. He started this lifestyle when he was 45 according to the article, and for the past 20 years has lived on a RC ship all but about 15 days a year. He started on the Navigator of the Seas and now lives on the Voyager of the Seas. Most of his 15 days off the ship involve flights and brief stays at a condo he owns in Florida.

He still works as an investment manager, having a desk on the ship where he still conducts his business via the internet. He he says that his costs on the ship each year are between $60.000 and $70,000 per year for an inside cabin. He says that is all he needs - seldom in his cabin except to sleep.

He walks a lot and monitors his food carefully in order to not gain weight. Interesting article.

Ask Dolly on the Amsterdam....

Dolly doesn't live on a cruise ship. She takes the very long cruises, which could make make it seem like she lives on one, though, if you didn't realize how much she's not on a ship.

Incal,

I agree, BUT that is one of the key reasons I love long cruises. On my recent 55 day cruise I actually lost weight. The first week or so most of the food is sooooo appealing. Then is gets somewhat boring after a few weeks. (Sitting here I say to myself, how can so many food options be boring? Well it can get to feel that way.)

However, I cruise to see the world, not for the food, although the food can be important. If I did all one-two week cruises I would weigh a lot more than I do!

Even when the food seems to get boring I love having some prepare it for me, serve it, set the table and clean up, do the dishes.

Now I love just sitting on the deck and watching the sea as we move forward, but it is the ports I love and flying that I dislike (these days anyhow). I am very active in Ports, more laid back on Sea Days.

It is good that cruisers go for different reasons as it keeps the cruise lines in business.

So how does food work on the ship with condos? Is these a MDR? Do the condos have their own kitchens so pax can cook? How would food provisioning work?

From what I have read, and heard from others, this is operates just like a condo on land. The only difference is that the condos as a whole move.

So, you (or your own cook), fix meals in your own home. You buy, cook, eat, and clean up, just as you would in a condo on land. If you want to go out to eat, you can do that by going to the dining room (restaurant), and buying a meal.

This is not a cruise in anything close to what we think of as cruising. It is living in a community that's set on water, not land.

I have read about some people not wanting the same food repeated over and over -- even with different sauces.

And I agree -- we have some restaurants we go to that prepare foods I don't make at home.

So if we were in better health -- wouldn't want to be on a ship for months/years at a time.