Baby pack and play on Lido

kayhold

Let me be really clear up front - (I also think it sucks I have to defend a post before I even post it)

We are traveling with a group of 20, and usually plan accordingly and get a few tables together, which we occupy all day. At some point, each table has 3-4 people sitting at it.

Now, between the tables, near the metal wall with windows, there is enough space for a pack n play to be set up for the 2 small babies we're taking.

I am not concerned about it being in anyone's way - it wont be in any walk way, it will be against the wall between 2-3 tables we are using. They're small, about 3'x3'

That said, is there any specific RULE against this? It would be really nice to be able to set the kids someplace to play without them crawling off every 5 seconds.

I didn't ask on the family board because this is specific to any rules Carnival may have.

Edited by kayhold

The tables are pretty close together with barely enough room to get in between when people are seated, so I don't think there would be room. Also, the ships I've been on have some booth seating, so that wouldn't work either. There are high chairs if the babies are old enough to sit up.

I think that Carnival would be the best place to ask this question. While I really appreciate all the info and help the members give I would hate for you to get the wrong info. At least if you get an answer from Carnival you might be able to get in writing incase there is an issue later

If you can't find a rule against it on their website it is probably ok. I would caution that crew (especially officers) have a lot of leeway to use their own discretion in situations like this. But as long as you have it set up as you mentioned above, where it wouldn't be in anyone's way, I doubt there would be an issue.

Let me be really clear up front - (I also think it sucks I have to defend a post before I even post it)

We are traveling with a group of 20, and usually plan accordingly and get a few tables together, which we occupy all day. At some point, each table has 3-4 people sitting at it.

Now, between the tables, near the metal wall with windows, there is enough space for a pack n play to be set up for the 2 small babies we're taking.

I am not concerned about it being in anyone's way - it wont be in any walk way, it will be against the wall between 2-3 tables we are using. They're small, about 3'x3'

That said, is there any specific RULE against this? It would be really nice to be able to set the kids someplace to play without them crawling off every 5 seconds.

I didn't ask on the family board because this is specific to any rules Carnival may have.

You need to ask Carnival this question, and not a bunch of random people. With that being said, you stated that you plan on taking a couple of tables, and setting up a camp ground for your family on the deck in which you plan on laying claim to this space all day. Regardless of the pack and play, chair hogs are frowned upon, but you case, table hogs.

I have never seen anything against it in Carnivals rules and as you said, if you call Carnival, you will get 5 different answers.

Personally, I would take it.

I think many posters are misunderstanding and thinking that you will leave it there all day, unattended while you went your merry way. If this were the case then I would have to say no but I don't think you are planning that at all.

I have never seen anything against it in Carnivals rules and as you said, if you call Carnival, you will get 5 different answers.

Personally, I would take it.

I think many posters are misunderstanding and thinking that you will leave it there all day, unattended while you went your merry way. If this were the case then I would have to say no but I don't think you are planning that at all.

Haha, probably but I could not have been more clear than I was.

I did just find this:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/p/186700/980435.aspx

on funville. At the bottom of the page Mary, a Carnival employee states:

You would need to check the measurements to see if it will pass through the scanner. If you can find a spot that is not blocking the traffic you should be fine. The pool area may be a little too busy.

Hope that helps

I would bring it also and set it up. The porters will tell you if they are not aloud on that particular ship.There are plenty of room for it where you are talking about. I think its a perfect solution since you plan on staying on the deck all day. Place for them to take nap and play in. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I think that's a wonderful idea, and I hope that it works out well for you. And I understand how some folks will express concerns that you're holding a bunch of tables, but you're right, as long as you are using them continuously, you have just as much right to them as anyone else. Have a fun vacation!

KC

Print out the Carnival forum post with the staff response. That way IF you have any trouble from a staff member you can offer them the forum post.

I say take it with you. Take the smallest ones you have (as I know there can be differences in size). There are lots of places on the lido where they could easily be set up between tables next to the window and not be in anyone's way.

Our family isn't a sun deck family either we usually camp out in one of the lounges all day. No one cares if we take over several tables and spread out (at least not until close to dinner time when the lounges tend to start filling up with people waiting for the MDR). We elevator up and down as needed for food and play board games, talk and hang out.

Frankly I would think the staff would rather you kept the little people in a pack and play rather than letting them crawl all over possibly tripping people!

Have a fantastic time!

ps. If the Lido gets annoying I recommend any of the lounge/bar areas near the MDR. There is NO traffic there during the day and there is lots of room for the pack n play!

Print out the Carnival forum post with the staff response. That way IF you have any trouble from a staff member you can offer them the forum post.

I say take it with you. Take the smallest ones you have (as I know there can be differences in size). There are lots of places on the lido where they could easily be set up between tables next to the window and not be in anyone's way.

ps. If the Lido gets annoying I recommend any of the lounge/bar areas near the MDR. There is NO traffic there during the day and there is lots of room for the pack n play!

Thanks! I am only taking one for both babies, so they can be set down to play when needed but not be able to walk or crawl away.

You know babies, once they've realize they can move, it's all over.

"Hogging" is when you are "saving" a space for future use. If the group is USING the area, they are using it and not "hogging" it!

This. Sound perfectly reasonable to me. Enjoy your cruise. I suspect the babies won't be in there long, as it gets very noisy and they might need quiet to nap.

You need to ask Carnival this question, and not a bunch of random people. With that being said, you stated that you plan on taking a couple of tables, and setting up a camp ground for your family on the deck in which you plan on laying claim to this space all day. Regardless of the pack and play, chair hogs are frowned upon, but you case, table hogs.

As you and VolzCruiser said, call Carnival. I love CC site for various questions and answers. But, most questions can be answered on the Carnival site. And this seems to be one of them.:)

I'm not sure if there is a rule against it. I doubt it.

However, I can visualize what you are talking about and I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to do this. Your group is going to be using the tables with the babies in the pack & play between them, not in the walkway.

And no, you will not be a "table hog camping out"! :rolleyes:

Some people, really?!

Seems totally fine. Enjoy your cruise!

The only thing that I'm thinking of is that you me be underestimating how much space a pack and play takes on deck. One of the things that I quickly learned after cruise #1 with a baby was that most equipment (including large strollers, inflatable tubs, and portable cribs) were a waste of space and an unnecessary burden that didn't make our cruise experience with little ones any easier. By the time we had baby #2 and went on her 1st cruise, we were down to only an umbrella stroller as the only baby related equipment.

Your situation may be different though. You say that you're planning on setting up camp with the other people in your group for an extended period of time which may make it worth it for you to have the means to keep your babies contained. As long as this practice is not frowned upon by Carnival, I guess it's worth a shot. But be prepared for a few stares or comments from other cruisers who may have an issue. [emoji849]

But be prepared for a few stares or comments from other cruisers who may have an issue. [emoji849]

To piggy back on that last comment: buried in Carnival's Ticket Contract there's a little, vague clause that states that "Carnival reserves the right to confiscate or remove any item that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be detrimental to the comfort of other passengers". The reason why I'm bringing this up is because, if other passengers complain because your pack and play is "affecting their comfort" because you're taking too much deck space with it, Carnival could make a decision to ask you to remove it, even if it's not specifically listed in the prohibited item list.

I'm just bringing this up in case it does happen. Carnival would be in their right to do so.

Edited by Tapi

Yeah, I don't think it will be an issue. I don't know where the smoking areas are on the Triumph, but folks seem to set up camp in those 24/7 during the cruises so I don't see why you'd be any different, albeit in a different area of the deck.

I haven't seen it done before, but that doesn't mean it's not possible/allowed. Go for it, if someone (in charge) thinks it is an issue they will let you know, and be ready to pack up if that's the case. If anyone else gives you any problems then: oh well, 4-5 day cruise!

I think this is an excellent idea.

Babies are happy and safe. Your crowd can relax without worrying about babies crawling away and cruisers around you don't have to worry about stepping on or tripping over the babies

Enjoy the cruise and please report back how this turns out, as I am sure others might be interested also.

Someone mentioned pack & play going thru scanner. Couldn't you just put it in original packing container (assuming you still have it) and put luggage tag on it to be delivered with luggage.?

Especially if you're going to be where you said, up against the wall, out of the direct sun, & out of the general walkway areas. I would much rather see that than see those poor babies who spend HOURS strapped in a stroller. The play pack will allow them to move & exercise their little legs & lie down when they are sleepy. Perfect! Enjoy your cruise! :)

It seems reasonable for what you want to do..

My comment is this:

It can get very HOT and sunny on any particular side of the ship by the windows.

I am not suggesting that you have not considered this, but it may be necessary for you to make additional plans for shade and cooling.

Tapi's idea of a stroller with umbrella is good, but I guess not what you are really looking for.

In any case, I hope that you get the answer to your specific question, an please consider the possibility of heat and sun.

Also want to chime in on 'CHAIR HOG" comment....Honestly???

This lady made it clear it would be a group...go concentrate on the real hogs that tie up loungers and chairs all day, not this person with this issue.

Many Blessings.

Let us know what you decide.