Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

It is what it is. Call it tips, call it wages, call it whatever. Bottom line is its part of cruising and I would be very happy if it was mandatory just like taxes/port fees. Guess what? I have to pay a port fee even if I don't get off the ship the entire time. That's not fair. Boo hoo!

No one is asking you to give more. If you pay the auto gratuities then you are done. If you give any additional then that's totally on you.

One way or another we are all paying the crew's wages whether it's broken down or rolled into the fare. If someone can't afford the gratuities, then they shouldn't cruise. If your culture isn't used to tipping, well then I'm sorry but ours is. "When in Rome" as they say. Same as if you can't afford all the extra fees when it comes to flying. I'm looking at a fare for one of my friends right now where the actual airfare is $139 and taxes and BS fees are $32. $139 is a whole lot better than $171. Yet if they want to go, they have to pay it. Supposedly the 911 fee and whatever else pays the TSA people who no one likes! I hope they add it all in just like the airlines do so it's not an option and people will know what the cost of cruising really is with all fees included.

Don't punish the hardworking crew by being cheap and skipping out on the gratuities. I feel your pain as far as having a family of 4. We have cruised a lot with the kids and my sister is thinking about trying one out. There are 4 of them as well. When doing research and giving her pricing I automatically add the gratuities in so she won't have any surprises.

If you can't afford to buy everything on the ship does that mean you can't afford to cruise? If you can't afford a suite, does that mean you can't afford to cruise?

Such silliness posted here. It's the cruiselines that aren't paying the workers on their ships. I hope you are defending the workers to the company and not the customer.

The fact remains Carnival or that specific ship is choosing to make people think tips should be the same whether they eat in the dining room or the lido deck. Until they start offerering table service up top, there should be no equivalence to the two.

Edited by ANGELSwithANGLES

That's pretty funny. They're off working somewhere else not for you, and you want to tip them. That's like eating at mcDonalds and tipping the waiters in the restaurant nest door serving someone else, because someone in the business told you to. I suppose if you ate in the steakhouse every night, you would still tip the MDR people for some reAson. No clue why, but it it serves you, do it.

Actually yes I would still leave my auto tips on because it's not their fault that I chose to eat in the Steakhouse every night. Especially since I was assigned to their table and now the space is empty where they could have had another guest. They will also lose out on the possibility that the other guest would have also tipped them above and beyond the auto gratuities. And in all actuality, if service was good I would have given extra as well. So now they are getting the minimum they were counting on to begin with.

Again, I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't look at gratuities as a punishment that I must pay, but rather the cost of going on vacation. Amazing how when you change your attitude to look at the brighter side of things instead of worrying about who is out to get you, the better life in general is. Karma doesn't forget. Do unto others as you would have done to you. Nothing religious about that, just the truth. If the rolls were reversed, I would only hope that I had more people on the ship that felt the way I do vs the "What have you done for me and why do you deserve to get paid?" crowd.

Actually yes I would still leave my auto tips on because it's not their fault that I chose to eat in the Steakhouse every night. Especially since I was assigned to their table and now the space is empty where they could have had another guest. They will also lose out on the possibility that the other guest would have also tipped them above and beyond the auto gratuities. And in all actuality, if service was good I would have given extra as well. So now they are getting the minimum they were counting on to begin with.

Again, I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't look at gratuities as a punishment that I must pay, but rather the cost of going on vacation. Amazing how when you change your attitude to look at the brighter side of things instead of worrying about who is out to get you, the better life in general is. Karma doesn't forget. Do unto others as you would have done to you. Nothing religious about that, just the truth. If the rolls were reversed, I would only hope that I had more people on the ship that felt the way I do vs the "What have you done for me and why do you deserve to get paid?" crowd.

Well said.

So they have an empty table that they don't have to attend, and they deserve a tip for work they are not performing.

Where do I sign up?

In any case I see you are confused. What you are describing is clearly not a tip.

If you can't afford to buy everything on the ship does that mean you can't afford to cruise? If you can't afford a suite, does that mean you can't afford to cruise?

Such silliness posted here. It's the cruiselines that aren't paying the workers on their ships. I hope you are defending the workers to the company and not the customer.

I'm not going to even respond to the first part. That is pure crazy talk.

The way Carnival has it set up is that the workers are paid a good chunk of their money BY the customer in the form of gratuities. Do I like it? No. Can I change it? No. So in order for them to get what they are expecting, people need to pay their gratuities. If you have horrible service, then it should be addressed immediately with a supervisor. So no matter how you slice it, the customer pays the salaries of everyone that works for Carnival whether they think so or not.

That's why I think they should just add them in and make them mandatory. That way the customer doesn't have to worry about tipping and no one gets stiffed.

I'm not going to even respond to the first part. That is pure crazy talk.

The way Carnival has it set up is that the workers are paid a good chunk of their money BY the customer in the form of gratuities. Do I like it? No. Can I change it? No. So in order for them to get what they are expecting, people need to pay their gratuities. If you have horrible service, then it should be addressed immediately with a supervisor. So no matter how you slice it, the customer pays the salaries of everyone that works for Carnival whether they think so or not.

That's why I think they should just add them in and make them mandatory. That way the customer doesn't have to worry about tipping and no one gets stiffed.

There's our difference. I don't worry about it for myself, or worse, as you describe above, for other people.

It's $2 per person per meal when I eat in the service restaurant. It's about $15 per person if I eat in the steakhouse. When they close the dining room as they do now, and I serve myself, or eat while in port, they wont even see me.

When you launch your cruiseline, you can set it up anyway you like, all while competing with your competition for their business.

I forget the name of the place, but the owner of a restaurant or a chain was so sure he could bust his customers thinking by eliminating tips and putting it into the cost of goods.

6 months in, he already had to go back to the old way. He eating crow.

So they have an empty table that they don't have to attend, and they deserve a tip for work they are not performing.

Where do I sign up?

In any case I see you are confused. What you are describing is clearly not a tip.

You're right. It's a service charge. That's really what it is.

You can sign up through various agencies to work on the ship. Be aware that they typically cost thousands of dollars just for getting you the job. Then be prepared to work 12-14 hour days 7 days a week for 6-8 months at a time all the while getting verbally abused and mistreated by a bunch of entitled whiners (aka guests) and your supervisors. Don't forget you'll be sharing a cabin with at least one other person who may or may not have bad BO, snore, and has a sensitive colon (if you know what I mean [emoji6]). Oh and if you're lucky, not all of your guests will believe there is a conspiracy theory out to embezzle the money that is allocated to you in the form of gratuities. I could go on but I'll stop. You should understand by now.

You're right. It's a service charge. That's really what it is.

You can sign up through various agencies to work on the ship. Be aware that they typically cost thousands of dollars just for getting you the job. Then be prepared to work 12-14 hour days 7 days a week for 6-8 months at a time all the while getting verbally abused and mistreated by a bunch of entitled whiners (aka guests) and your supervisors. Don't forget you'll be sharing a cabin with at least one other person who may or may not have bad BO, snore, and has a sensitive colon (if you know what I mean [emoji6]). Oh and if you're lucky, not all of your guests will believe there is a conspiracy theory out to embezzle the money that is allocated to you in the form of gratuities. I could go on but I'll stop. You should understand by now.

This is actually a bunch of hogwash. Google CAREERS ON A CRUISE SHIP and learn what really goes on.

This is actually a bunch of hogwash. Google CAREERS ON A CRUISE SHIP and learn what really goes on.

It's actually true. Perhaps it is you that needs to do research. Ever see any Americans working on the ship besides being Entertainment Staff? You won't because they are too "good" to take those kinds of jobs. You won't see a waiter or room steward from the US. There was one at one time. His name is Brian David Bruns. Google is also your friend.

I'm sure this has been posed before, but it's pretty fundamental: if this form of service charge (or gratuity if you prefer) is such a scam to line the pockets of the cruiseline so they can pay the crew "pennies", why does every mass market line utilize the exact same type of daily charge?

Are they all in cahoots and shielded from lawsuits for "wage theft"?

It is what it is. Call it tips, call it wages, call it whatever. Bottom line is its part of cruising and I would be very happy if it was mandatory just like taxes/port fees. Guess what? I have to pay a port fee even if I don't get off the ship the entire time. That's not fair. Boo hoo!

Taxes are compulsory. Tips are not.

No one is asking you to give more. If you pay the auto gratuities then you are done. If you give any additional then that's totally on you.

Actually, YOU just complained that the tips on cheers weren't enough and thought bartenders are being cheated.

One way or another we are all paying the crew's wages whether it's broken down or rolled into the fare. If someone can't afford the gratuities, then they shouldn't cruise. If your culture isn't used to tipping, well then I'm sorry but ours is. "When in Rome" as they say.

It's funny you should say that. Do you agree with what you just said? Vista is in Europe. (Incredibly so is Rome.)

We Europeans are not obsessed about tips and think staff should earn their money and be paid by employers and not hand out a begging bowl.

I like and agree what you said there. Of course I agree with you that we pay the staffs wages. It's not something I would applaud by allowing them to post a price of $599 when it's actually $740. I think that's dishonest.

Same as if you can't afford all the extra fees when it comes to flying. I'm looking at a fare for one of my friends right now where the actual airfare is $139 and taxes and BS fees are $32. $139 is a whole lot better than $171. Yet if they want to go, they have to pay it. Supposedly the 911 fee and whatever else pays the TSA people who no one likes! I hope they add it all in just like the airlines do so it's not an option and people will know what the cost of cruising really is with all fees included.

I can see the problem you are having. You want transparency.

Within the UK that's exactly what we have. Airfares by law have to be published to include airport charges and taxes. When in Rome and all that. Glad you can not support hiding things is BS (though not sure why you exclude Carnival from this equation).

Don't punish the hardworking crew by being cheap and skipping out on the gratuities. I feel your pain as far as having a family of 4. We have cruised a lot with the kids and my sister is thinking about trying one out. There are 4 of them as well. When doing research and giving her pricing I automatically add the gratuities in so she won't have any surprises.

I'm not being "cheap" though. I have paid in advance for 4 passengers and 2 cheers and bubbles. I can't remove them, so your moan isn't with me. However I do not agree and never will that tips should be at a persons discretion and not because you (or anyone else) demands I pay it. On what you said about "punishing" hard working staff (by being mean), I agree. But OTOH, why would I want to tip a lazy barstward (literally) who is rude and gives you bad service. That is why I don't think it's right.

My last cruise, tips were included in the price. There was no need to give extra, but I still did to staff I felt went out of there way to be kind, work hard and help make my cruise enjoyable. I'm not a cheapskate. I just think tipping is given as a sign of appreciation not because you are told too. I expect you will never understand, but different cultures have different attitudes.

You can throw "cruise customs" and "when in Rome" when Vista is Cruising the Caribbean .... But when it's in Rome....

Anyway, I hope I've not come across as aggressive with my reply (and apologise if I have).

Edited by les37b

Taxes are compulsory. Tips are not.

Actually, YOU just complained that the tips on cheers weren't enough and thought bartenders are being cheated.

It's funny you should say that. Do you agree with what you just said? Vista is in Europe. (Incredibly so is Rome.)

We Europeans are not obsessed about tips and think staff should earn their money and be paid by employers and not hand out a begging bowl.

I like and agree what you said there. Of course I agree with you that we pay the staffs wages. It's not something I would applaud by allowing them to post a price of $599 when it's actually $740. I think that's dishonest.

I can see the problem you are having. You want transparency.

Within the UK that's exactly what we have. Airfares by law have to be published to include airport charges and taxes. When in Rome and all that. Glad you can not support hiding things is BS (though not sure why you exclude Carnival from this equation).

I'm not being "cheap" though. I have paid in advance for 4 passengers and 2 cheers and bubbles. I can't remove them, so your moan isn't with me. However I do not agree and never will that tips should be at a persons discretion and not because you (or anyone else) demands I pay it. On what you said about "punishing" hard working staff (by being mean), I agree. But OTOH, why would I want to tip a lazy barstward (literally) who is rude and gives you bad service. That is why I don't think it's right.

My last cruise, tips were included in the price. There was no need to give extra, but I still did to staff I felt went out of there way to be kind, work hard and help make my cruise enjoyable. I'm not a cheapskate. I just think tipping is given as a sigh of appreciation not because you are told too. I expect you will never understand, but different cultures have different attitudes.

You can throw "cruise customs" and "when in Rome" when Vista is Cruising the Caribbean .... But when it's in Rome....

Anyway, I hope I've not come across as aggressive with my reply (and apologise if I have).

Actually I never complained about the bartenders not getting enough with Cheers. I had said that they automatically get 15% added on to every bar receipt no exceptions. So why is it that they are taken care of and the other crew aren't? So please show me where I said that because that is absolutely not what I meant. I don't even buy Cheers.

As far as the "When in Rome" comment, when you are sailing on an American company's ship (I am well aware that it's flagged under another country) and they tip, then it's customary to do the same no matter where you're from.

If you get less than satisfactory service then it should be brought to the supervisors attention immediately and if it's not resolved then by all means, remove them for that person. My beef is with those that just never want to pay no matter what.

I didn't take anything you said personally and have no ill will towards you. I enjoy a good conversation when the people are rational and can speak civilly [emoji4]!

I'm sure this has been posed before, but it's pretty fundamental: if this form of service charge (or gratuity if you prefer) is such a scam to line the pockets of the cruiseline so they can pay the crew "pennies", why does every mass market line utilize the exact same type of daily charge?

Are they all in cahoots and shielded from lawsuits for "wage theft"?

The world doesn't just consist of the US.

There are restaurants in the UK who add a services charge to bills in. No one tips when that happens (unless they don't notice).. And by Law, you can if you wish have that charge removed.

Similarly services like hairdressers, where customers will add a tip to the credit card bill they pay the cashier.

Because its been picked up, every penny of these service charges now has to by law be given to the staff. So yes it's a criminal offence in the UK now to pull this scam.

Is this the case in the US? My understanding of US employment (and I will openly admit is not good), is that things are heavily in favour of the employer who can and does bully and terrorise staff with the fear of being fired. Coupled with non existent sick pay and minimal holiday pay, it's not good being an employee. Here, I can be sick for a whole year (6 months full pay and 6 months on half pay) get 6 weeks holiday plus a further 8 days bank holiday. American friends I've spoken with can't believe that someone could get that. It's not out of the ordinary either.

Employment laws are a lot to do with this and why staff can't be paid in tips without a proper salary they can survive on.

Personally I prefer our system, but fair enough if you disagree.

Actually I never complained about the bartenders not getting enough with Cheers. I had said that they automatically get 15% added on to every bar receipt no exceptions. So why is it that they are taken care of and the other crew aren't? So please show me where I said that because that is absolutely not what I meant. I don't even buy Cheers.

I have looked back and have to admit I can't now see the comment. But it was something along the lines that someone pouring 15 drinks would get $15 tips so being shortchanged as cheers are only paying $7.50 per day. If that wasn't you, apologies. (If I'm honest it was that remark that got me re-posting in the thread!) :p

As far as the "When in Rome" comment, when you are sailing on an American company's ship (I am well aware that it's flagged under another country) and they tip, then it's customary to do the same no matter where you're from.

It's also compulsory in Europe to pay staff a fair wage. We do look at tips differently to Americans. It's a fact. I'd say most of the world does. Sure, I'm not suggesting other nationalities don't tip (because we do). Just that we are not so obsessed (strong word ... But how it feels) on what others want to tip.

If you get less than satisfactory service then it should be brought to the supervisors attention immediately and if it's not resolved then by all means, remove them for that person. My beef is with those that just never want to pay no matter what.

But I doubt you can remove it from that person... And let's be fair, what is that amount going to be? I'd not be bothered to complain at GS... I'm on holiday. Not (personally) tipping is more satisfactory... But as its shared...:rolleyes:

I didn't take anything you said personally and have no ill will towards you. I enjoy a good conversation when the people are rational and can speak civilly [emoji4]!

Good... And that's how it should be. :)

Edited by les37b

I have looked back and have to admit I can't now see the comment. But it something along the lines that someone pouring 15 drinks would get $15 tips so being shortchanged as cheers are only paying $7.50 per day. If you wasn't you, apologies. (If I'm honest it was that remark that got me re-posting in the thread!:p

Good... And that's how it should be. :)

Yeah, definitely wasn't me. I don't do math very well [emoji3]. I had said somewhere that I can't understand why people have no problem paying 15% added to every bar purchase and can rack up hundreds of dollars in drinks and are OK with that, then turn around and remove tips for everyone else. So since it's mandatory for drinks it should also be mandatory for the others. Am I the only one that sees the problem with that?

Why do the bartenders deserve to be paid more and get a guaranteed 15% when the room stewards and waiters have to keep their fingers crossed that they don't get removed? If they are mandatory for drinks then they should be for everyone. After all it's still a "gratuity" according to the receipt.

Edited by firemanbobswife

The world doesn't just consist of the US.

There are restaurants in the UK who add a services charge to bills in. No one tips when that happens (unless they don't notice).. And by Law, you can if you wish have that charge removed.

Similarly services like hairdressers, where customers will add a tip to the credit card bill they pay the cashier.

Because its been picked up, every penny of these service charges now has to by law be given to the staff. So yes it's a criminal offence in the UK now to pull this scam.

Is this the case in the US? My understanding of US employment (and I will openly admit is not good), is that things are heavily in favour of the employer who can and does bully and terrorise staff with the fear of being fired. Coupled with non existent sick pay and minimal holiday pay, it's not good being an employee. Here, I can be sick for a whole year (6 months full pay and 6 months on half pay) get 6 weeks holiday plus a further 8 days bank holiday. American friends I've spoken with can't believe that someone could get that. It's not out of the ordinary either.

Employment laws are a lot to do with this and why staff can't be paid in tips without a proper salary they can survive on.

Personally I prefer our system, but fair enough if you disagree.

And the world doesn't just consist of the UK.

Customs and norms differ around the world, even imperfect ones that other cultures find disagreeable.

Your viewpoint of US employment is jaded but not in left field. The UK employment and welfare benefits are as different from the US as their tax structures. They compliment each other.

Calling a service industry which advocates a gratuity as a part of its performance a "scam" is exactly the reason discussions turn sour.

I understand and appreciate the difference of opinion. Alternate viewpoints expressed reasonably always make me contemplative. That's a good thing.

Yeah, definitely wasn't me. I don't do math very well [emoji3]. I had said somewhere that I can't understand why people have no problem paying 15% added to every bar purchase and can rack up hundreds of dollars in drinks and are OK with that, then turn around and remove tips for everyone else. So since it's mandatory for drinks it should also be mandatory for the others. Am I the only one that sees the problem with that?

To be honest, I'm not someone who doesn't have a problem paying a 15% tip for a drip. I've never paid a tip at a bar in the UK - it's not expected or required.... Though I will offer them a drink on occasion, so is a tip of sorts I suppose.

Why do the bartenders deserve to be paid more and get a guaranteed 15% when the room stewards and waiters have to keep their fingers crossed that they don't get removed? If they are mandatory for drinks then they should be for everyone. After all it's still a "gratuity" according to the receipt.

I doubt very much that bartenders get to keep the 15% charged on cheers and 15% on all the drinks they serve not covered by cheers. Seriously think just how much "money" that amounts to!

Think logically.... $12 a day is shared between all other staff... Butt the small number of bar tenders.... Get to share exclusively between them, considerably more. Doesn't ring true does it?

But that's another story! :p

And the world doesn't just consist of the UK.

Customs and norms differ around the world, even imperfect ones that other cultures find disagreeable.

Your viewpoint of US employment is jaded but not in left field. The UK employment and welfare benefits are as different from the US as their tax structures. They compliment each other.

Calling a service industry which advocates a gratuity as a part of its performance a "scam" is exactly the reason discussions turn sour.

I understand and appreciate the difference of opinion. Alternate viewpoints expressed reasonably always make me contemplative. That's a good thing.

I didn't say service industries which attract gratuities was a scam. I stated that employers who took the money intended for employees was a scam and now outlawed by law in the UK. Basically it's recognised it's happening and seen as wrong. Do you think they've got it wrong?

Im not sure if you think I don't ever tip.... When I'm in the US, I follow the "rules" albeit begrudgingly" and tip bar staff.... And I've paid in advance all tips on my next trip. I'm just trying to put the point across that much of the rest of the world doesn't do the tip thing to the levels you guys.

To be honest, I'm not someone who doesn't have a problem paying a 15% tip for a drip. I've never paid a tip at a bar in the UK - it's not expected or required.... Though I will offer them a drink on occasion, so is a tip of sorts I suppose.

I doubt very much that bartenders get to keep the 15% charged on cheers and 15% on all the drinks they serve not covered by cheers. Seriously think just how much "money" that amounts to!

Think logically.... $12 a day is shared between all other staff... Butt the small number of bar tenders.... Get to share exclusively between them, considerably more. Doesn't ring true does it?

But that's another story! :p

Yeah, I don't know the logistics of how the bartender tips are split up. Like do they get a certain percentage of what the drink would have cost if someone uses Cheers? Or is the 15% split up evenly amongst all the bartenders when the package is bought?

Also do the bartenders get to keep the tips from what they ring up for non Cheers or are they split evenly amongst all of them working that bar during that shift? Either way it seems like they are pretty well paid and I have zero problems with that.

What I don't get is how the 15% bar "gratuity" is mandatory and preprinted on the receipt with no option to remove it and there's even another line to add more. Then the "gratuity" for your service on the ship is optional and they even give you a way to remove it.

Not once can I recall ever hearing people demanding not to pay the 15% bar gratuity and causing such a fuss as what goes on with the auto tips. Perhaps if they were just added on and nonnegotiable, it wouldn't be such an issue. What makes the bar gratuity so accepted and the auto tips not? Is anyone sure the bartenders are getting 100% of those tips? No conspiracy theory when it comes to those and they are well accepted. Yet when it comes time to pay the auto gratuities, some people get their panties wound so tight it cuts off circulation to their brain. I just really cannot understand that kind of mentality.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Yeah, I don't know the logistics of how the bartender tips are split up. Like do they get a certain percentage of what the drink would have cost if someone uses Cheers? Or is the 15% split up evenly amongst all the bartenders when the package is bought?

Also do the bartenders get to keep the tips from what they ring up for non Cheers or are they split evenly amongst all of them working that bar during that shift? Either way it seems like they are pretty well paid and I have zero problems with that.

What I don't get is how the 15% bar "gratuity" is mandatory and preprinted on the receipt with no option to remove it and there's even another line to add more. Then the "gratuity" for your service on the ship is optional and they even give you a way to remove it.

Not once can I recall ever hearing people demanding not to pay the 15% bar gratuity and causing such a fuss as what goes on with the auto tips. Perhaps if they were just added on and nonnegotiable, it wouldn't be such an issue. What makes the bar gratuity so accepted and the auto tips not? Is anyone sure the bartenders are getting 100% of those tips? No conspiracy theory when it comes to those and they are well accepted. Yet when it comes time to pay the auto gratuities, some people get their panties wound so tight it cuts off circulation to their brain. I just really cannot understand that kind of mentality.

Do you really think that you're cabin steward is making $7600 a month, or even half that, with an assistant? That's what the math comes to if they service 35 cabins a day, double occupancy.

I honestly don't know and my views on what happens is purely speculation.

However, ndoubt very much that any cash that's passed there way direct finds its way anywhere other than their pocket.

But you're right. The staff who look after your room and make and serve your food appear less looked after..... Which is ironic really, as if I stayed in a uk hotel for a week, I'd have no problem tipping the cleaning staff or restaurant staff.... But the barman wouldn't get a penny! Lol .... What a meanie! Lol

And one thing is for sure. It wouldn't be remotely near $530

Do you really think that you're cabin steward is making $7600 a month, or even half that, with an assistant? That's what the math comes to if they service 35 cabins a day, double occupancy.

Last cruise my room steward told me he had 28 cabins. The math only works if everyone pays. It's not mandatory so I'm sure there are quite a few times the room steward gets stiffed. But hey, if they can make that much for all the hours they work for 6-8 months at a time and the disgusting messes they have to deal with more power to them. I think they deserve that and more.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. If Carnival was cheating it would have gotten out long ago. Please read the article I referenced. The crew member was grateful for autotips and said there was no evidence that any was being skimmed off the top.

Last cruise my room steward told me he had 28 cabins. The math only works if everyone pays. It's not mandatory so I'm sure there are quite a few times the room steward gets stiffed. But hey, if they can make that much for all the hours they work for 6-8 months at a time and the disgusting messes they have to deal with more power to them. I think they deserve that and more.

It's been said before and I'll say it again. If Carnival was cheating it would have gotten out long ago. Please read the article I referenced. The crew member was grateful for autotips and said there was no evidence that any was being skimmed off the top.

Every room steward I have had in at least the last ten cruises also has an assistant who he/she pays out of his pocket.

Carnival wouldn't even have to be skimming from the tip pool to make money off the program. The money from all the ships sits in their account drawing interest until it's disbursed to the recipients. That's got to be a substantial amount of money to draw interest on. Not that there's anything wrong with them getting the interest.