Help! Saver Fares and tables for two on QE

Adammara

After a four years of a voluntary then enforced sabbatical, we are considering trying a 7 day cruise on QE on September 30th in a balcony cabin, and probably booking an early saver fare.

After cancer treatment, my wife has digestive problems, requiring reasonably plain food early in the evening, and is also a very slow eater. Not great for sharing a table, although friends we dine with understand, I am just worried if we had to share a table with others who might not understand the situation. The last maitre ‘d we had on Celebrity was the most unhelpful and incompetent we had in 39 cruises, which really spoilt our cruise. If we book a saver fare what chance is there of getting a table for two in Britannia on the 6pm sitting? Alternatively, if we cannot get a table for two, are they available in the speciality restaurants without a prior booking. Don’t really want to end up in the Lido buffet if possible!

Grateful for all suggestions

I'm sure that there are plenty on here who can answer this better than I can. However, If I had a specific requirement as you do, I would certainly book the Cunard fare and not the saver fare.

Certainly, the alternative dining venues are great, but I don't think I would want to put myself in a position to have to rely on these every night because I wasn't happy with the table seating I had been allocated.

I would think that on a Saver Fare you have very little chance of getting a table for 2 as those that have paid the Cunard Fare have Priority on them, As your Wife wants plain food I would not dismiss the Lido completely as there you have more selections of dishes available & portion size is up to you. The Veranda Restaurant is far from plain food as its French

On a Saver fear, I think your chances of an early sitting and table for 2 are just about nil.

However, for the amount of £££'s that you will have in your pocket from booking the reduced fare, it would lend you to be able to eat in the Verandah if needed (the fish is excellent). I know from our friends that you can pre warn them on dietary needs. Also, you would not be rushed!

Have you thought of the "alternative dining" in the Lido for a small supplement? The evening dinners are in a cordoned of section, and tables properly laid; the service is excellent as is the food.

Think about considering these options if you do not get what you want, should you book the cruise. I am very happy to eat in both venues I have mentioned.

If the ships is full you don't have a very realistic chance of getting a table for two at the early sitting, especially on an Early Saver. Tables for two are allocated according to booking date and September 2016 is not very early at this point.

While the Maitre D' will try to accommodate requests he may not have any leeway to do so. Cunard Fare passengers get waitlist preference over Early Saver and other promotional fares. Rightly, Cunard gives preference to those paying more.

I don't want to be insensitive to your wife's difficulties or accuse you of trying to game the system but many would do just that - book a promotional fare and use real or alleged health issues to claim dining preference that they have not paid for.

Given the information you have provided you may have a far better chance of getting a table for two - and not being rushed - if you are in the second sitting.

Edited by BlueRiband

We booked a Saver fare last October, pre my hip replacement and limping badly even with a stick, as a last minute option.

I ticked the box re mobility/other issues and Cunard emailed a form for me to complete. I told them the truth: that I needed to rest late afternoon and would really struggle with the early sitting and we were allocated late sitting. Perhaps that was just luck.

I think you should contact them and explain your wife's situation. They might not be able to guarantee anything but I would hope they would be sympathetic and helpful.

I hope things work out well for you both and you have a lovely time. Got the cancer t-shirt and remember the chemo and post chemo only too well. A cruise in the sea air will be a tonic.

All best wishes.

The difference in price between the Cunard Fare and Early Saver on this 7 day cruise is currently £600 per person (the Cunard Fare increased when the "complimentary" OBC promotion came into effect). As someone has suggested, I think the money saved could be better spent on dining in the sepciality area of the Lido or in the Verandah restaurant.

Cunard Fare has priority for dining preferences

"Early Saver bookings receive second priority for dining preference (after the Cunard Fare)"

Saver fare - not much chance

Our last cruise was booked as an Early Saver on the first seating and we were allocated a table for two.

After a four years of a voluntary then enforced sabbatical, we are considering trying a 7 day cruise on QE on September 30th in a balcony cabin, and probably booking an early saver fare.

After cancer treatment, my wife has digestive problems, requiring reasonably plain food early in the evening, and is also a very slow eater. Not great for sharing a table, although friends we dine with understand, I am just worried if we had to share a table with others who might not understand the situation. The last maitre ‘d we had on Celebrity was the most unhelpful and incompetent we had in 39 cruises, which really spoilt our cruise. If we book a saver fare what chance is there of getting a table for two in Britannia on the 6pm sitting? Alternatively, if we cannot get a table for two, are they available in the speciality restaurants without a prior booking. Don’t really want to end up in the Lido buffet if possible!

Grateful for all suggestions

If I were you I would give Southampton a call and have a chat with them. At least then you would know what your options are. They are very helpful.

Regards Pat

Not sure how it works on QE, but on QM2, we could always get a table for 2 and we had booked Saver Fares several times.

Chances are better for 2nd seating, Cunard's Maitre d' are usually exceptionally!

That's because the QMs Britannia restaurant is much larger than QE, so there is always an opportunity for far more tables for two.

Thank you all for the advice.

We considered all options, including 'anytime' dining on other lines, but really wanted to try the Cunard experience.

So it was bite the bullet, and pay the Cunard fare, and hopefully be able to get early dining, but wait, a Princess Grill P2 suite is on offer, and we succumbed!

Our first 2 night cruise in 1991 was on QE2 (a competition prize!), but a small inside cabin, looking forward to returning after 25 years!