Question about "upsell" please and thank you

I keep hearing people refer to being offered an "upsell" prior to their Cruise. Does Norwegian contact you directly? Or is it up to us to make the phone call and see what is available? Our family cruises May 21st and we currently have 2 connecting mini suites (with the larger washrooms and balcony) that I am very much looking forward too, but it's always been in the back of my mind if we should have chosen a Haven room instead. At the time we booked it was going to be an additional $2000 and included was only 2 "perks" (my husband and I) for our family of five because we were only booking one room. With us booking the 2 connecting rooms we got 2 "perks" per room which meant 4 out of 5 of us got "perks" I thought this made more sense. I'm also torn whether our family would actually use all that is offered with Haven. The private dining room absolutely, but the pool I believe would be wasted since my kids would much rather hang out at the watersides. Hmmm.. But all that said I am so curious as to what we would have to pay to be upgraded if infact a Haven room is available!

Thank you..

You can call the upsell department directly and it is definitely worth the call.... sometimes people get emails but a lot do not.

The cost of the upsell depends on the cabin you are currently in and what Haven you are moving to and inventory along with demand

Based on a very informal collection of data reading these posts.... you can expect to pay $1000-1250 per person moving from an Inside to a Haven H4. I stress this is very informal but a pretty good ballpark of what to expect

Edited by esm54687

I am on your same cruise in a standard balcony cabin. For a few weeks we've been getting emails from NCL offering us an upsell to The Haven for $700/pp. We aren't interested, but clearly they are looking to push them.

Edited by LrgPizza

I am on the Getaway 5/29 and I called the upsell line. I went from a guarantee balcony to a H9 Haven spa suite with balcony for $750 pp. I've heard of others on my same sailing getting the same for $500 pp and $1000 pp. I'm not sure what the price difference is based on. This is my 2nd time sailing NCL and I have never received an upsell email.

We are booked on the escape June 4th in a mini suite. We got an upswell to a Haven suite email, $1000 pp. too much for me. If they come down to $500 I might jump at it though. It would be so much fun to surprise DH.

Thank you all for the information! I will definitely make the phone call.. I agree we have nothing to lose but politely declining!

I can't imagine they'd decline, since we are on your same ship/sailing and they are trying to push one on us. Good luck!

Don't forget to factor in the increased DSC and tips for the butler and concierge when calculating your additional cost.

Just an FYI, prior to me taking advantage of an upsell, I had pre-paid my DSC, daily service charge, for my balcony stateroom. Since they were pre-paid, the NCL rep said I was locked in and did NOT have to pay for any additional DSC's.

If you get the upsell make sure they bring you existing promo over as well as the prepaid service charges.

On my march cruise I had an upsell from balcony to h4 haven ...all my promos except my wife's dining package was moved. I didn't check until I was on board and luckily had all my presell print outs available. They eventually put the dining package on but then charged me for the service charge (which I had already paid for).

Any case once everything is done (upsell) double chalk everything was moved over correctly...I guess I was excited I got a haven suite I didn't bother .

Can you call the up sell number yourself if you booked with a travel agent? Or does the travel agent have to make the call? Do you think you have a better chance of an up sell if you book directly with NCL in the first place? Also, has anyone gotten an up sell during the summer months?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can you call the up sell number yourself if you booked with a travel agent? Or does the travel agent have to make the call? Do you think you have a better chance of an up sell if you book directly with NCL in the first place? Also, has anyone gotten an up sell during the summer months?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes anyone can call, just have your reservation & credit card # available when you do. Every cruise, all year round, can potentially have upsells, it just depends on what is left over in inventory close to sailing. This is NCL's way of filling the ships, move people up, open the lower categories and sell them cheap.

Edited by iimmie

I got no help with the folks at the upsell number - they told me nothing was available (yet, but try back 2-3 days out from sail date) though I could clearly see online there were cabins I might want. Not sure who/what they were keeping them open for. I called my TA and got lucky with someone new in training because she kept pushing and looking and not taking no for an answer (with the help of her training supervisor) and I ended up with a great deal (in my opinion) going from a balcony to an aft penthouse suite - exactly where I was wanting. I was also able to get all the perks offered with a suite - free UBP, UDP, Wi-fi, picture package, shore excursion and arcade credits - which alone would have cost more than the price we paid to change.

Did you upgrade? That's the only way you get the current promos and not just keep your existing promos... when is your cruise date? If it's greater than 30 days out then there is typically no upsell because NCL knows it can sell the stateroom for more than the upsell charge to you.

That's awesome you were able to move to an Aft Penthouse Suite!! do you mind sharing the cost?

We sail June 3, and don't know if it would be considered an upgrade or upsell. We ended up paying an additional $400 pp to go from balcony to aft penthouse. Because we had gotten such a fantastic price to begin with on our balcony, what we ended up paying in total for the PH is the normal going rate on this cruise for a balcony.

Frankly, I was certain she had made a mistake when she quoted the price, but I said "I'll take it! Here's my card number!". Not until I confirmed my reservation (and my reservation number did not change btw) on NCL and credit card charge did I tell anyone.

Did you upgrade? That's the only way you get the current promos and not just keep your existing promos... when is your cruise date? If it's greater than 30 days out then there is typically no upsell because NCL knows it can sell the stateroom for more than the upsell charge to you.

That's awesome you were able to move to an Aft Penthouse Suite!! do you mind sharing the cost?

We moved from a Balcony Guarantee to an Aft Penthouse on the Escape for $1700 total additional. We were somewhere around 32 or 33 days from sailing. I called the Upsell number because someone else posted on our Roll Call about receiving an Upsell email, so I knew they were "open for business" on our sailing.

About the cheapest I've seen anyone post on CC do a similar upsell on Escape is $1000 total.

With an upsell you generally do not any additional promos - you get whatever you had with your original booking.

The only sailing leaving June 3rd I see is the 3-day Bahama itinerary on the Sky. There is no Haven on this ship. $400 total is probably a good deal for the move. $400 per person isn't too much different than what retail probably was, although its hard to tell since aft PH are sold out.

With an upsell you generally do not any additional promos - you get whatever you had with your original booking.

Correct, which is why I asked if it was an upgrade... they referenced that they were given all 4 promos which you wouldn't get with an upsell.