Use of Ship's Sound System

For my first Transatlantic cruise I'm considering Royal Caribbean. All of my seven cruises thus far were with Holland America. I'm concerned by something I read on a CC thread, that on RCI music could be heard in most, if not all areas of the ship. My preferences regarding music pertain not just the style but also when and where I here it. For example, if I am walking down a hallway, or eating at the Lido buffet, or reading in a public area, I prefer either no music or low volume. If I am sitting on the outdoor promenade deck, I like to hear the water, no music.

Is that comment that I read likely to hold true on a Transatlantic, on the Jewel of the Seas? Can someone comment on the style of music and the extent to which one would hear it over the course of a day onboard? Also, are there a lot of announcements? (I guess this is relative, so perhaps one could comment with comparison to the typically few announcements on HAL.)

The times music is played is listed in the compass each day, maybe just restrict yourself to your cabin during those times or.......

Perhaps I need to clarify. I'm seeking information that will help decide whether or not to choose RCI for this trip. I'm not sure if your comment was sarcastic, but I wouldn't choose a ship where I thought my time in or out of the cabin needed to scheduled.

... If I am sitting on the outdoor promenade deck, I like to hear the water, no music....

The deck 5 outdoor promenade should also be free of music.

Stay away from staterooms near the centrum because there can be very loud music in the centrum that can be heard down the hallway a bit.

Edited by clarea

If I'm reading your query correctly then your concern isn't for music being played in such as bars or the atrium but general music wherever you go. If that is what concerns you then you really don't need to worry. Unless I've just been completely oblivious to it (which would mean it must have been quiet!) I don't remember hearing music in the buffet or on the Promenade deck on any RCI ship. We've been on Jewel and in the evening if there is music in the atrium you may be able to hear it in the hall but certainly not in your cabin, we were very close to the atrium so I know that's correct.

The norm for RCI ships is the Captain's announcements at noon and when arriving and departing ports (obviously not on sea days lol) and the odd announcement from the Cruise Director about upcoming entertainment but these are few and far between so needn't be a concern to you.

I hope this helps.

Gill

I very well may be oblivious, but I do not recall music being played at all on the exterior promenade. And I have always been able to find a deck lounger far enough away from the steel pans playing by the pool to read in relative peace. I have also enjoyed the library on Adventure which as I recall has a decent size window and natural light. I don't know how the library is on other ships.

For my first Transatlantic cruise I'm considering Royal Caribbean. All of my seven cruises thus far were with Holland America. I'm concerned by something I read on a CC thread, that on RCI music could be heard in most, if not all areas of the ship. My preferences regarding music pertain not just the style but also when and where I here it. For example, if I am walking down a hallway, or eating at the Lido buffet, or reading in a public area, I prefer either no music or low volume. If I am sitting on the outdoor promenade deck, I like to hear the water, no music.

Is that comment that I read likely to hold true on a Transatlantic, on the Jewel of the Seas? Can someone comment on the style of music and the extent to which one would hear it over the course of a day onboard? Also, are there a lot of announcements? (I guess this is relative, so perhaps one could comment with comparison to the typically few announcements on HAL.)

That's all I can say about this post....:rolleyes:

Odd[emoji854] but to each their own. I would actually prefer to hear some type of music most places...but don't think either situation would discourage me from enjoying a cruise or other type of vacation if the itinerary and price were right. I don't like silence except when I'm sleeping. Maybe that makes me the odd one but whatever....[emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Odd[emoji854] but to each their own. I would actually prefer to hear some type of music most places......

I can understand the OP's point of view. On one of the first cruises on Voyager out of Galveston, they played constant country music on the Royal Promenade.:eek:

I can understand the OP's point of view. On one of the first cruises on Voyager out of Galveston, they played constant country music on the Royal Promenade.:eek:

And we took a new year cruise on princess, on which we heard nothing but Christmas music ALL week. Uhg!

I think it's often quiet in the Viking Crown Lounge during the day. I'd avoid the Centrum, and also Schooner Bar before dinner. I really didn't care for the music trivia blasted through the whole lounge. Solarium is usually pretty quiet.

On Serenade, we had a classical guitar player before dinner most days. And we also liked the pianist. We'd get our drinks on Deck 4 then mosey into dinner when the doors opened.

The Centrum is a large area midship that covers several decks. You'll be hearing the same thing on deck 9 as deck 4.

We've also been known to visit the Windjammer for afternoon snacks.

They used to have a Quiet Zone, but I haven't seen it recently. Not sure if that's a choice of the Cruise Director, or something that they've decided to discontinue.

For me, it depends on the type of music. Classical is great! Toneless screaming isn't. I'll gladly take classical w/ sloppy intonation to those toneless screaming.

Loved it when they had musicians during the dinner hour.

We prefer JS, because we tend to spend a lot more time in our room compared to other cruisers.

Edited by knittinggirl

I don't recall hearing music all over the ship on our cruises. Then again, I am a basketball official and have trained myself to block out "ancillary noise" when I am doing something.

Comes in handy from time to time...but can be a problem when the wife is talking or asking a question. :eek: :D

If I'm reading your query correctly then your concern isn't for music being played in such as bars or the atrium but general music wherever you go. If that is what concerns you then you really don't need to worry. Unless I've just been completely oblivious to it (which would mean it must have been quiet!) I don't remember hearing music in the buffet or on the Promenade deck on any RCI ship. We've been on Jewel and in the evening if there is music in the atrium you may be able to hear it in the hall but certainly not in your cabin, we were very close to the atrium so I know that's correct.

The norm for RCI ships is the Captain's announcements at noon and when arriving and departing ports (obviously not on sea days lol) and the odd announcement from the Cruise Director about upcoming entertainment but these are few and far between so needn't be a concern to you.

I hope this helps.

Gill

Very helpful - Thank you. And yes, my concern was not the sound level within the actual music venues. The thread I mentioned gave the impression that, except for one's cabin, one would hear music virtually everywhere on the RCI ship. I've enjoyed the piano bar, the classical music duo, and some musicals in the theater on all my cruises, but an outdoor promenade is my favorite place, listening to the water.

I hope this helps.

Gill

I agree. I really dislike extra noise, and I never feel overloaded on Royal ships. They may play loud music on the pool deck in the afternoon, but you can always find a quiet place to lounge. On the other hand, I do like sitting and listening to music and there is always a venue after about 5 that has good music.

On radiance i have only heard music in the halls on low volume and sometimes in the centrum again low volume. the Centrum can get a bit loud if there is a event going on in there. if you have a cabin on deck 10 below the main pool you can hear the thumping of the music on the pool deck if there is a deck party or other event. the outside promenade on deck 5 may or may not have music on low volume playing however the sound of the waves can easily drown it out. Jewel should be similar to radiance. Royal used to have 3 announcements a day but they are moving toward a quiet ship concept and eliminating most announcements by the cruise director the noon announcement by the captain may or may not happen.

Very helpful - Thank you. And yes, my concern was not the sound level within the actual music venues. The thread I mentioned gave the impression that, except for one's cabin, one would hear music virtually everywhere on the RCI ship. I've enjoyed the piano bar, the classical music duo, and some musicals in the theater on all my cruises, but an outdoor promenade is my favorite place, listening to the water.

The ship is not full of Muzak. That seemed to me to be your concern.

The ship is not full of Muzak. That seemed to me to be your concern.

Cabin hallways are typically muzaked, softly. Can't hear it in the cabins, though. Style has varied -- last trip was South America, so mostly samba, Alaska was five-year-old top 40, and I'm pretty sure the last Caribbean trip was mostly doing 70s and 80s AM radio hits.

Edit to Add: at least, I noticed the muzak in the evenings. Can't fairly assert that it was all day.

Edited by hellsop

Cabin hallways are typically muzaked, softly. Can't hear it in the cabins, though. Style has varied -- last trip was South America, so mostly samba, Alaska was five-year-old top 40, and I'm pretty sure the last Caribbean trip was mostly doing 70s and 80s AM radio hits.

Edit to Add: at least, I noticed the muzak in the evenings. Can't fairly assert that it was all day.

That's helpful. I don't mind some muzak. On a cruise or two I've heard some techno which IMO could only get better as muzak. Hopefully the volume is at a classy, fairly low level everywhere except the live venues.