What happens when you get upgraded?

Pamela1

It is important to remember that the above referenced "upgrade" was based on a "Guarantee" booking. If you do not book a guarantee, you could get an "upsell" offer which is quite different than what the OP received.

Edited by Travelcat2

It is important to remember that the above referenced "upgrade" was based on a "Guarantee" booking. If you do not book a guarantee, you could get an "upsell" offer which is quite different than what the OP received.

The OP originally asked about being upgraded from a Concierge GTY to a PH (without additional cost), which is what they finally received. Good for them

IMO, perpetual references to 'up-sells' seems to be irrelevant

Thank you very much for the kind wishes and even the ones you can't now see.

We had a fabulous upgrade to a PHA suite and it was very pleasant.

Pam. :D

Pam, I sincerely hope you will come back and tell us about your cruise. How wonderful for you that you received such a fabulous upgrade! I have followed your "journey" through this and other threads. If you decide not to come back, believe me, I understand. :)

Good for you Pamela. We might be on the same Navigator cruise as you so maybe they'll upgrade us from a de luxe balcony to your previous concierge suite. Although as suite sizes are the same on the Navigator up to PH the position becomes more important than the grade apart from the amenities that are of less interest to us as we are Gold and get a lot of them as benefite

Hi eliana, was trying to multi quote but not working.

It seems like you were on board after us with your cruise starting in Malta. Are you still on and (are) did you have a good time?

Pam.

Pam, I sincerely hope you will come back and tell us about your cruise. How wonderful for you that you received such a fabulous upgrade! I have followed your "journey" through this and other threads. If you decide not to come back, believe me, I understand. :)

borntocruz, i appreciate the feedback, be careful what you post and who it is addressed to....just saying! :cool:;)

Edited by Pamela1

The OP originally asked about being upgraded from a Concierge GTY to a PH (without additional cost), which is what they finally received. Good for them

IMO, perpetual references to 'up-sells' seems to be irrelevant

Flossie, i couldn't agree more. :D

While it is nice that three of you always agree with each other, it would also be nice if you reread the first page. It seems that I am being blamed for bringing up upsells while it was not me at all. I did contribute to the subject as many people find the subject of "upgrades" and "upsells" confusing - especially those of you living in the U.K. where you state that upsells are not available.

While Pamela was entitled to a "free upsell" due to her booking a "Guarantee", she would have had to pay for an upsell. Also, most of the "Guarantees" that I've seen discussed have been in category "H". Booking a Concierge level guarantee is more expensive and the passenger has a better chance of getting a PH suite.

Guess all of this is now a mute point since the OP has completed her cruise. It is truly a shame that there will not be a review of the cruise on the Navigator as so many posters have questions about the "new" Navigator.

While Pamela was entitled to a "free upsell" due to her booking a "Guarantee", she would have had to pay for an upsell

Thanks for the clarification, but I am now thoroughly confused :confused:

Surely a "free upsell" must be a paradox

Great Pamela, we are now on the Navigaor. At the last minute we were offered an upgrade to a PH but they wanted much too much. The moaners about the 'new' navigator are wrong and misleading. Suites are fine and plenty of cupboard/ shelf space although might be a little limited for those who overpack for the world cruise, even though laundry will be free. We liked the new larger screen TV even though it replaced in part a cupboard. Unfortunately they were unable to broadcast any Euro 2916 matches.The ship is very smart but the decor is too dark in the new coffee connection and a little elsewhere as well. The blue lighting in the Compass Rose is not bad or overpowering at all as has been suggested on another thread and it is a very pleasant dining room now. We are low down midship and have not experienced any noise, nor have we heard complaints about noise from other passengers. Service is excellent with a few hiccups mainly from newish staff who need a bit more training or whose English is not yet so good. All are very very helpful and friendly. The shows are much better than on previous Regent cruises. Food is generally very good, although Regent should change the Sette Mare menu as it has become tired, as are the complimentary wines. However, coffee remains very very poor, mainly we think because they use a dark roast of Illy and unlikely because of the water as tea drinkers have no complaint.

Great Pamela, we are now on the Navigaor. At the last minute we were offered an upgrade to a PH but they wanted much too much. The moaners about the 'new' navigator are wrong and misleading. Suites are fine and plenty of cupboard/ shelf space although might be a little limited for those who overpack for the world cruise, even though laundry will be free. We liked the new larger screen TV even though it replaced in part a cupboard. Unfortunately they were unable to broadcast any Euro 2916 matches.The ship is very smart but the decor is too dark in the new coffee connection and a little elsewhere as well. The blue lighting in the Compass Rose is not bad or overpowering at all as has been suggested on another thread and it is a very pleasant dining room now. We are low down midship and have not experienced any noise, nor have we heard complaints about noise from other passengers. Service is excellent with a few hiccups mainly from newish staff who need a bit more training or whose English is not yet so good. All are very very helpful and friendly. The shows are much better than on previous Regent cruises. Food is generally very good, although Regent should change the Sette Mare menu as it has become tired, as are the complimentary wines. However, coffee remains very very poor, mainly we think because they use a dark roast of Illy and unlikely because of the water as tea drinkers have no complaint.

Hi eliana, really pleased you are enjoying your cruise but shame you can't get to see any of the footie, maybe on some of the ports you will be able to get to see some matches.

We weren't really keen on the mood lighting in Compass Rose, it was a pink one that they seemed to have on when we were there and it made the chicken look undercooked which wasn't very pleasant and i agree that there seems to be a lot of new staff in training so the service seemed a bit spotty for us too.

I'm very glad to hear that John Barron is going to be the CD on Explorer, we really liked him and he is pretty easy on the eye too:)

Hope you continue to enjoy the rest of your cruise and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Pam.

I suspect it was an typo and that she mean "free upgrade".

You are right Wendy but my typo was another attack opportunity:rolleyes:

In terms of John Barron, when he left Regent a few years ago it was really a loss. Looking forward to seeing him on the Explorer in November!

And, for the never ending coffee issue, when we were on the Mariner last week, my DH ordered a "double Americano" in CR and it was just fine (he is very particular about his coffee and appreciates a strong, rich blend).

You are right Wendy but my typo was another attack opportunity:rolleyes:

In terms of John Barron, when he left Regent a few years ago it was really a loss. Looking forward to seeing him on the Explorer in November!

And, for the never ending coffee issue, when we were on the Mariner last week, my DH ordered a "double Americano" in CR and it was just fine (he is very particular about his coffee and appreciates a strong, rich blend).

I think your "typo" was nothing of the kind as you have repeatadly used the word "upsell" even though you were told that was not the case.

"attack opportunity" is frankly laughable!

Will you be putting up a review of your cruise in the CruiseCritic review section? We were looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Our favorite ship is Navigator.

I won't, no. I would be happy to answer any questions on "our " thoughts if there is anything specific.

Pam.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that people have been reluctant to post the details of their upgrade offers, but I can share our experience here. (Unless the admin does not allow this kind of specific pricing info.)

We are booked on a cruise that cost $11,000 per person for Verandah G on the Voyager. Last week I noticed that the previously available large number of PH A and B were disappearing so I asked my TA to call Regent to see if they were offering any upgrades.

This will be the 7th Regent cruise for one of our cabins and the 3rd for the other 2.

We were told we could upgrade to PH C for $7800. That's a savings of $1200 per cabin over the listed price on the RSSC website, but the cabin is the same size and layout as the ones we had booked. The balcony is larger.

I know that this is not the same thing as RSSC calling US to offer us a deal, but this hardly feels like a deal to me. I turned it down and am going to be very happy with the G level cabin we chose when we booked this trip about 8 months ago!

I actually once asked how is it determined who is offered the opportunity at an upgrade - we are platinum and was only offered once, which at the time we turned down for a number of reasons, most importantly, the location of the cabins and the upgrade price was still quite steep.

I was actually curious about this and inquired and was told by the head office that since we did not respond to the first offer, we are not likely to receive any other offers - which I can attest is true - we have been on cruises where others on the same level of cabin we were in were offered upgrades, whereas we were not, even though we were a higher level SS member.

Not that it makes much difference - I live in a NYC apartment so living is small spaces is natural to me.

gnomie :)

I know that people have been reluctant to post the details of their upgrade offers, but I can share our experience here. (Unless the admin does not allow this kind of specific pricing info.)

We are booked on a cruise that cost $11,000 per person for Verandah G on the Voyager. Last week I noticed that the previously available large number of PH A and B were disappearing so I asked my TA to call Regent to see if they were offering any upgrades.

This will be the 7th Regent cruise for one of our cabins and the 3rd for the other 2.

We were told we could upgrade to PH C for $7800. That's a savings of $1200 per cabin over the listed price on the RSSC website, but the cabin is the same size and layout as the ones we had booked. The balcony is larger.

I know that this is not the same thing as RSSC calling US to offer us a deal, but this hardly feels like a deal to me. I turned it down and am going to be very happy with the G level cabin we chose when we booked this trip about 8 months ago!

While the PH suites on the Mariner are large, the PH suites on the Navigator are the same size as lower category suites. The PH suites on the Voyager only 15 sq. ft. larger than lower category suites but are square rather than rectangular so have a feeling of being much larger.

The cost of an "upsell" is dependent upon the suite you booked. In other words, if you book a category "H" and are offered a PH suite, the cost would be high. On the other hand, if you are booked in an "E" category, the cost would be less.

We typically book PH "A" or "B" suites and are offered Master, Grand, Seven Seas, or Voyager/Mariner/Navigator suites. The cost is considerably less as we are going up fewer "levels".

The last poster gave some insight into "upsells". If you turn them down, don't expect further offers. In our case, we jump at the opportunity to do an "upsell" as it gives us the opportunity to book to experience suites that we would not otherwise have the opportunity to try.

In terms of the OP, they booked a "Guarantee" and were lucky to get what they did (although a PH on the Navigator the same size ...... the only benefit is the butler.

We've been offered two upsells aince 2009; our first cruise we were offered a Navigator suite and took it. Nice suite, but didn't like being under the pool deck. Live and learn. Second time, we took the upsell to a Mariner suite. We really liked this one. Can't remember the cost, but I remember thinking it was worth it. :)

So..two upsell offers in six cruises, both accepted. I'd only do it again if it was a really, really nice offer on a longer cruise.