What shore excursions are best for Alaska

We just booked our first cruise! We will be going June 11-18 on NCL the Jewle. I have lots of questions but for now, what are the must see shore trips and which ones would you say are overrated? It will just be my husband and I we are leaving our kids with grandma and grandpa! We are not very adventuris people but we do enjoy nice scenery, animals nature stuff. We don't drink alcohol or go to wild clubs. If that will help you, help us 😃 Thank you in advance!

Go over to the Ports of Call forum and check out Alaska forum. There are tons of great ideas on what to do. We just returned from the 10 day on the Pearl and enjoyed the White Pass RR in Skagway, Whale Watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau and Floatplane with Island Wings in Ketchikan.

We enjoyed a guided tour into the Yukon Territory, having lunch, seeing the sled dogs and then riding the railroad back to Skagway. Unbelievable scenery. We went on a 6 hour wildlife boat trip in Steward after we disembarked from the ship. We saw all kind of animals and glaciers. It was amazing! Also whale watching in Juneau for sure! (We were on a Holland American ship)

Don't forget to join your roll call on this site and see what other people are doing too. They may have already set up independent tours and need help filling spaces for good prices. Also, check on tripadvisor.com to see what other travelers have listed as top things to do in each port.

The cruise itself is a scenic viewing treasure - as well as wildlife - it pays to keep your eyes open and binoculars handy.

On the Jewel you should do the Tracy Arm Explorer - this is only offered through NCL and will make your experience in Tracy Arm even more memorable. It will not cut any of your time in Juneau.

As for the rest of the things to do in port - check out http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

Don't be afraid to book tours intependent of the cruise line - you can visit the alaska section of the ports of call here on cruise critics for more opinions.

more important is to listen to yourself and do excursions that interest you - not what somebody else thinks.

The cruise itself is a scenic viewing treasure - as well as wildlife - it pays to keep your eyes open and binoculars handy.

On the Jewel you should do the Tracy Arm Explorer - this is only offered through NCL and will make your experience in Tracy Arm even more memorable. It will not cut any of your time in Juneau.

As for the rest of the things to do in port - check out http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

Don't be afraid to book tours intependent of the cruise line - you can visit the alaska section of the ports of call here on cruise critics for more opinions.

more important is to listen to yourself and do excursions that interest you - not what somebody else thinks.

The Tracy Arm Explorer doesn't seem to be bookable on line. How much is it and when do you board?

I second the White Pass train ride in Skagway. In Juneau, the Mendenhal Glacier is a must see. Sad though, when I went in 2005, it was much bigger compared to now as it has melted a lot. In Ketchikan, did the Misty Fjords boat instead of the plane. But it was sunny and not misty at all, so it was a bit of a disappointment.

Thank you all so much for the tips! I am not very tec savvy and I am having a hard time figuring out the roll call thing. I will try to have my husband look into it for me to tonight. He is much better at computers than I am. We looked up the train ride and the price we got was $260 each that seemed a little high for us. We will deffanetly plan on the whale watching cruise!

Thank you all so much for the tips! I am not very tec savvy and I am having a hard time figuring out the roll call thing. I will try to have my husband look into it for me to tonight. He is much better at computers than I am. We looked up the train ride and the price we got was $260 each that seemed a little high for us. We will deffanetly plan on the whale watching cruise!

At the top of this board is a box which contains this link "Find your Norwegian Roll Call". Just click on it.

Yes, the best tours in Alaska are pricey, but so worth it. For the White Pass Rail, check out Chilkoot Bus and Rail, highly recommended on TripAdvisor and the Alaska Board here. It includes the same White Pass rail you can book direct or through the ship. Frankly, I was pretty unimpressed with the train ride, and so glad we did not just do that. With Chilkoot, you are on a small tour, 6 or 8 of us. The scenery from the highway, was mind blowing. The tour ends at the Yukon train station, and you ride it back. It was pretty meh, compared to what we saw and did on the road.

Edited by punkincc

For "silly" but fun/interesting, do one of the "duck" tours in Ketchikan. Inexpensive way to get a city tour and harbor tour. The Mendenhal glacier just outside of Juneau is nice because of the information center located there. It is just a short distance out of town. Also, look for Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau if you want some Alaskan King crab. Pricey, but still about half the price of other restaurants. They have a web site you can search. And the White Pass railway ride is probably a must do in Skagway, at least once.

We have cruised to Alaska 5 times so know a little about it.

In Skagway the Chillkoot Bus and Rail tour is great. You really don't need to ride the train both directions. If you like to hike and don't want to ride the train, Skagway has great hiking trails from easy to more difficult. Park visitor's center in town has maps and can make suggestions for the type of hike you might want to do.

In Juneau you can take the bus to and from the Mendenhal Glacier. There is an easy walk to the glacier mostly flat the whole way. If it is a nice day when you get to Juneau you can take the Mt. Roberts tram, great views and hikes at the top. Don't buy the tickets ahead of time because it's not worth going up if its raining.

If you can spend extra time in Seward the Kenai Fjords National park Cruise is wonderful. We saw more whales there ( at least 3 different kinds), than anywhere else. Also other sea life and birds and of course glaciers. Easy hiking in Seward is the Exit Glacier hike. There is also a path along the water in town if you want a stroll.

We tend not to purchase the ships excursions. These are things we have done mostly on our own. Alaska is amazing. Enjoy your trip.

OP, definitely visit the Ports of Call board. Here's a direct link to the Alaska board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I've done three Alaska cruises and have my fourth booked. :D I don't agree that the train is a must-do in Skagway. We did that on our first Alaska cruise and found it slow-paced and boring, TBH. The commentary was cheesy, so we really didn't enjoy the train ride much. On our last trip we rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake. It was fantastic! We loved the freedom to stop when we wanted and spend time where we wanted. It was a wonderful day.

As others have said, whale watching in Juneau is great. I wouldn't book that through the ship--if you do you'll be jockeying for position with 100+ other people on the boat! If you book with an independent on a smaller boat, you'll have a more enjoyable experience.

Excursions in Alaska are expensive, but the experiences are worth the cost, IMO! If you can afford it, book a Misty Fjords float plane trip in Ketchikan. Really wonderful.

Have a great cruise! And as others said, be sure to join your roll call.

I finally figured out how to get on the roll call thing, thank you!

We booked our whale watching cruise with Harv and Marv! I'm really excited! Now I'm trying to figure out what else to do that would be a bit cheaper for our other ports....

I finally figured out how to get on the roll call thing, thank you!

We booked our whale watching cruise with Harv and Marv! I'm really excited! Now I'm trying to figure out what else to do that would be a bit cheaper for our other ports....

Here are a few ideas for things to do in Alaska that are not quite so pricey.

Juneau

Mendenhall Glacier -- Get a bus ticket at the information center near where the cruise ships are docked. I believe these are about $10 per person each way and then there is a small fee to get into the Visitor's Center which has displays and films. (If you have a National Park Pass, be sure and take it with you as it will get you into the Visitor's Center free.) Or there are some tours through the ship that combine Mendenhall with some other attraction. We did the Fish Hatchery and Mendenhall one time and enjoyed learning all about salmon in Alaska.

Mt. Roberts Tramway -- You can buy tickets at the base of the mountain or on the ship. The tickets are about $30 per person and there are great views from the top, as well as hiking trails, a restaurant, free movie, etc. and your ticket is good all day if you want to go back down and then return later.

Skagway

National Park Service gives free guided walking tours throughout the day -- about every two hours. Inquire at the Park information center.

An excursion in the Yellow Touring Cars is also fun and you will get lots of information and history about Skagway.

We have been to Alaska several times and every time we have gone, a local man, Steve Hites, has come onto our ship and entertained with Alaskan stories, songs and music. We were there last year on the Jewel in May and he performed at 3:30 p.m. in the Spinnaker Lounge, Deck 13, Forward. There is no charge for his show. He was dressed in a Train Conductor's suit and is called Alaska's Singing Conductor. Check your Freestyle Daily on the Skagway Day.

Ketchikan

There is a lot to see and do here. In the past, we have done a Harbor Tour on a boat, a City Tour, a Duck Tour, and have gone to see the Lumberjack Show. We have also gone over to Creek Street, which is interesting. There is also a National Park Headquarters here which has a lot of exhibits and information. If you have the National Park pass, it's free to get into, but if you don't, I believe it was $10 to get in and go through all of the exhibits. There is also is a free bus that does a tour of the city. The Visitor's Center could give you information on that. In addition, Ketchikan has a lot of places to shop for those Alaskan souvenirs.

Victoria

The first time we were in Victoria, we did a tour through the ship called Victoria Highlights. It was a very nice and informative tour. The last time we were there, we just took the shuttle bus from the pier to the downtown area and then walked around and went through that famous hotel that is there (sorry, can't remember the name). We also walked around the waterfront and had lunch at an Irish Pub. The cost for the shuttle bus was $10 per person, round trip.

I know you will enjoy your cruise. We went on our first cruise to Alaska in 1994 and have gone back several times since then and have another Alaskan cruise coming up on the Jewel in September of this year.

Rosemary

Forget the train in Skagway and look into the Emerald Lake tour by Dyea Dave Tours. It's half the price and you see way more than you could ever hope to see on the train. The train doesn't stop for wildlife photo ops as well as photo ops by the "Welcome to Alaska" and "Welcome to the Yukon" signs. He has a website and we highly recommend it.

If you just have to do the train you can do a half and half tour but I would save my money personally and do the whole tour with Dyea Dave.

You may need to call NCL to book the excursion for tracy arm - it is also limited in the number of pax they can take and tends to fill up early.

Sometimes they hold a few slots open for the people who wait for the ship.

BTW we booked ours in Dec for our June cruise.

If you are going to have some time in Anchorage or Fairbanks before or after the cruise, consider a day trip on Alaska Airlines to Barrow. You can fly up in the morning and back in the evening. It is an amazing place. If you are crazy enough you can take a swim in the Arctic Ocean. When we were there, you could wade out to pack ice and then jump in. You won't be bothered by the "stone" beach when you get out because the 32F water will numb your feet (and everything else). If you have more time, they have an ocean front hotel and good Mexican restaurant. If you go, don't miss the totem pole. If you have been there, you will know which one I mean,

The Tracy Arm Explorer doesn't seem to be bookable on line. How much is it and when do you board?

It could either be sold out or might not be offered. I was told its only offered from late June to the end of August. We are going the first week if September and its not offered

It could either be sold out or might not be offered. I was told its only offered from late June to the end of August. We are going the first week if September and its not offered

It showed up as being bookable just recently on the June 4th cruise.