"Club" Dining---Pure snobbery or a good idea?

CruisingObsessed

Some of the posters here must have a very difficult time when they go to the airport to fly to their cruise. They are forced to walk past all those airline VIP lounges with all those "snobs" - myself included - receiving all those free drinks, food, internet, showers, massages, etc.

Now some of the airlines have installed very elegant private restaurants in their lounges, to allow First Class pax to have a very elegant private meal in the lounge before the flight.

I paid extra for those things; you didn't.

Some of the posters here must have a very difficult time when they go to the airport to fly to their cruise. They are forced to walk past all those airline VIP lounges with all those "snobs" - myself included - receiving all those free drinks, food, internet, showers, massages, etc.

Now some of the airlines have installed very elegant private restaurants in their lounges, to allow First Class pax to have a very elegant private meal in the lounge before the flight.

I paid extra for those things; you didn't.

Not the same thing. The presence of those in the airport does not impact the seat I pay for on the plane (though I do have club memberships). Now if they decided that they were going to save seats at the gate for first class. And reduce the number of seats at the gate available for the rest of the passengers. That would be the equivalent and that would impact the other passengers to some degree.

Princess could give club class gold toilets and three butlers and a private chef and I would not care. It does not impact me. Take away public space and I do care because it impacts what I pay for in a negative way.

Club Class=Take advantage of Club Class Dining in the Main Dining Room, featuring expedited seating with minimal to no wait, expanded menu options, dedicated waitstaff and table-side preparations. And receive special assistance with priority reservations at your favorite specialty restaurants.

May vary by ship

Cattle class=Take advantage of Traditional Class Dining in the Main Dining Room featuring expedited seating with minimal to no wait,with your normal delicious menu options and dedicated waitstaff.

Wont vary by ship.

Club Class=ELEVATED SERVICES & AMENITIES

As a Club Class Mini-Suite guest, you're entitled to special treatment with coveted priority services and extra amenities.

Priority Embarkation & Disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise

Exclusive Disembarkation Lounge

Complimentary one-time wine set-up on embarkation day, 1/2 bottle of red and 1/2 bottle of white*

Complimentary Premium Evening Canapés upon request

Upgraded Terry Shawl Bathrobes

*Not available for China voyages.

Cattle Class=Well you can buy a bottle of wine for $25,which makes a half bottle worth about oh $10.

Also just request a normal bathrobe,after all your not living in it.(free)

Club Class=THE ULTIMATE SLEEP AT SEA

Be one of the first to experience the most comfortable sleep at sea with the Princess Luxury Bed, included with all Club Class Mini-Suite staterooms.

Cattle Class=Dont worry we are rolling these out through the fleet.(free)

Well looks like a bargain to me,and can someone inform me how much extra this is.

Opps sorry forgot to mention Club Class may get a special entrance door.

Edited by mrs and mrs

So for the "Get What You Pay For" comments - today Princess is showing Regal Princess February 2017 sailings for M1 Premium Mini Suites designated as Club Class less $ than next door same deck MA Mini Suites w/o CC - might just be in process of M1 price adjustment but for right now Princess is offering more for less - go figure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The verdict is in ... haven't check all sailings but as of this morning Regal Princess February sailings M1 (as in Club Class) prices just went up for the second time in recent days big time - so it was a work in process - now it all makes sense. Glad we booked early.

This is the most bizarre thread - honestly when I am on vacation I am with my friends or family - I could not tell you who is in what cabin or what CC level nor do I care - basically I do not even see other passengers because I am engaged with those around me - I feel sad for those of you who are so concerned with all this ridiculousness - basically, get a life!

Whether its a blue or black card - anyone who wears their card on a lanyard is no one I'm interested in talking with - typical tourist

It sounds like you see enough to call those wearing their lanyards as typical tourist.

Care to define a typical tourist?

I am appalled at the "Club Class" dining idea. Not only is it a recipe to make anytime dining even more messed up than it already is; but is creating a caste system on a ship that has mass market appeal such a good idea?

Am I wrong? Do people think they need this for the extra money spent on suites and minis? Obviously Princess's motivation is cash...

Cunard has done it for years & it worked fine. Celebrity, MSC & others are now trying it. On Princess you really get FEW perks to be in a suite, yet it costs the same as a suite on the aforementioned lines. I feel you pay more, you SHOULD get more. Sorry no BERNIE SANDERS supporter here!

Mention the words “suite perks” and you will have a storm of protests. I’m still trying to figure out whether it is envy, jealousy, or frustration (if I can’t have it, neither can you, it will impact my cruise, etc.)

It’s a choice to select a full suite. It has nothing to do with a caste system. Other cruise lines have had “the ship within a ship” feature for quite a while. We choose to sail on Princess, and other cruise lines, in full suites based on its itineraries and it provides us with the experiences and ambience we desire. Personally, I’m glad to see Princess implementing the new perks.

People are getting upset and complaining about that MIGHT happen with the new program that hasn’t even started yet. Check out the dates below from the official Princess website. For those who haven't viewed the program details, click on the link below:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/club-class-dining/

Club Class Dining will debut on board Ruby Princess (Dec 10, 2016) and Emerald Princess (Dec 12, 2016), followed by Island Princess (Jan 4, 2017), Sapphire Princess (Jan 7, 2017), Regal Princess (Jan 8, 2017), Grand Princess (Jan 9, 2017), Royal Princess (Jan 29, 2017), Coral Princess (Feb 6, 2017), Majestic Princess (Mar 30, 2017), Sun Princess (Apr 5 2017), Crown Princess (Apr 8, 2017), Star Princess (Apr 11, 2017), Caribbean Princess (Apr 6, 2017), Diamond Princess (Apr 20, 2017), Pacific Princess (Jun 9, 2017), Sea Princess (Sep 2, 2017) and Golden Princess (Oct 2, 2017).

Edited by JimAOk1945

It’s a choice to select a full suite. It has nothing to do with a caste system.

It really doesn't have anything to do with a caste system, or for that matter ecnomic status either. In the Ocean View cabins on the lower decks, couples with a seven figure net worth are a dime a dozen. It is simply a matter of what you choose to buy with your money.

It really doesn't have anything to do with a caste system, or for that matter ecnomic status either. In the Ocean View cabins on the lower decks, couples with a seven figure net worth are a dime a dozen. It is simply a matter of what you choose to buy with your money.

Like! :D

I read cruise critic but seldom post because of the vitriol that is often expressed. My wife and I are elite level on four or so lines, Princess included. I got my first real job in the 6th grade and worked my way through college and professional school and feel as if I have some idea of what things cost and what things are worth. I think of myself as the antithesis of a snob. We enjoy cruising but are both a bit on the shy side and like to read and take time to ourselves. I worked in a very public environment for decades and now prefer tables for two and we don't take part in many activities. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with personal preferences. On our last Princess cruise (17 day Panama Canal) there were no tables for two at either sitting so we ate every night at the buffet (which by the way was pretty good) or at one of the specialty restaurants. This is one of the reasons we have not cruised with Princess much lately and have enjoyed Aqua class on Celebrity. I for one welcome the prospect of being able to sit at a table for two and am willing to pay extra to do so. This has nothing to do with anything other than being willing to pay extra to get a specific service. I guess I really don't understand the "class" issue. I would love to travel on a private jet, but I am not mad at those who can and don't feel as if they are taking anything away from me. I realize that there are those who want to make this an example of equivalency but I just don't understand it as such. I simply wanted to add another take on what I hope will make Princess more appealing to folks like us.

That is the question, if it will or will not impact them. If Princess implements it like Celebrity did, then there will be an impact. Reason why is more space per person and higher ratio of number of chairs to number of those people in the special category. That means remaining dining space tables are closer together, fewer traditional tables available, and longer ATD wait times for those not in the special category. Result a less attractive MDR experience.

Unlikely that Princess can implement without some impact, the question is how much. Princess has said zero or minimal wait time. If they expect to accomplish that they also must have a higher seat to member of category ratio then the remaining portion of the dining rooms where they do not provide such a promise.

The one factor which is limited and is a zero sum game on a cruise ship is space. If some is taken out of the public pool and moved into a private category, then the amount of remaining public space must decrease and the ratio of passengers to public space increase.

That's my fear. I don't mind not getting an expanded menu or whatever, but the dining experience on Princess has declined so much over the years that it is becoming unpleasant already---move those tables closer and/or increase wait times in order to accommodate another section, and I might be done. Anytime dining struggles anyway; at least on the cruises I've been on with it. Balancing club class, reservations, early Traditional dining in your room (and folks who linger over coffee), TD folks who show up at anytime because that night, they wanted a different time and oh, yeah the folks who liked the concept...it sounds a bit like a nightmare to me for staff and guests.

Oh the poor put upon "regular "cruisers. We travel less often and spend the money for a full suite and enjoy every moment of the special perks. Has nothing to do with "class" nor feeling "superior" but with a quality vacation. If someone resents us so be it but we will walk to the head of the line whenever possible and enjoy maximizing each and every extra treatment we are given. Why would we expect the same treatment as someone who pays thousands less than we do? Go figure-

I read cruise critic but seldom post because of the vitriol that is often expressed. My wife and I are elite level on four or so lines, Princess included. I got my first real job in the 6th grade and worked my way through college and professional school and feel as if I have some idea of what things cost and what things are worth. I think of myself as the antithesis of a snob. We enjoy cruising but are both a bit on the shy side and like to read and take time to ourselves. I worked in a very public environment for decades and now prefer tables for two and we don't take part in many activities. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with personal preferences. On our last Princess cruise (17 day Panama Canal) there were no tables for two at either sitting so we ate every night at the buffet (which by the way was pretty good) or at one of the specialty restaurants. This is one of the reasons we have not cruised with Princess much lately and have enjoyed Aqua class on Celebrity. I for one welcome the prospect of being able to sit at a table for two and am willing to pay extra to do so. This has nothing to do with anything other than being willing to pay extra to get a specific service. I guess I really don't understand the "class" issue. I would love to travel on a private jet, but I am not mad at those who can and don't feel as if they are taking anything away from me. I realize that there are those who want to make this an example of equivalency but I just don't understand it as such. I simply wanted to add another take on what I hope will make Princess more appealing to folks like us.

Life is all about choice, If cruise lines offer something nice and affordable to you then grab it and enjoy. Princess is just offering a little more variety. Keep your glass filling above the half way mark.