"Club" Dining---Pure snobbery or a good idea?

CruisingObsessed

I guess I don't a problem with this. Princess wants more revenue. If people want to give them more revenue, go right ahead. The food is the same, right? Just the seating location is different. If people want to pay for that, who am I to object? I'll just smile, eat my dinner, and know I would never pay for that.

But will it be the same food?

Wondering how quickly these Club Level Mini-Suites will be selling out? :confused:

We might want to book one for January 2018 but not ready to make a decision on which ship we want to sail at this point. :confused: .. :confused:

Although there are a few other "perks" associated with Club Class, it would seem that dining stands out. Personally, I would much rather dine in a specialty restaurant each night. Cost of that "perk" for a 7 night cruise? $210-245. How much is the ding for Club Class? Is it really worth it?

Harry

A question.

If I book one of these club class minis will I be able to eat in standard dining?

And if so will I be in effect taking a table from the lower class plebs that don't have any option?

There could be a reciprocal rights issue implemented, 1 ccm pax in standard=1 pleb to the cage,sorry velvet roped off area.

We have booked a mini suite on Island Princess in November, but as Elite pax we get some of the extras that the 'New Club Class' boasts anyway, in fact more. We also go to Traditional Dining @ 8pm each night anyway. So why pay more for Club Class? Not seen it advertised on Princess Australia website, who I booked through. Also where on the ships are the designated 'Club Class Mini Suites?'

Not a great move by Princess, as some have said, it will end up like Cunard, restricted areas, the retired Admirals and Generals and Brain Surgeons in the Queens Grill, the Privates and Sergeants and truck drivers in the Britannia Restaurant, not for me.

Edited by NSWP

My guess is more people will be going to traditional dining so they don't have to wait or take a beeper at ATD. I just like to say to all my friends Welcome to Second Class :eek: I've been here waiting for you :D :D

Tony

We have booked a mini suite on Island Princess in November, but as Elite pax we get some of the extras that the 'New Club Class' boasts anyway, in fact more. We also go to Traditional Dining @ 8pm each night anyway. So why pay more for Club Class? Not seen it advertised on Princess Australia website, who I booked through. Also where on the ships are the designated 'Club Class Mini Suites?'

Not a great move by Princess, as some have said, it will end up like Cunard, restricted areas, the retired Admirals and Generals and Brain Surgeons in the Queens Grill, the Privates and Sergeants and truck drivers in the Britannia Restaurant, not for me.

Took me a while to find them, but I eventually found them on Emerald as M1, a quick glance seem like they were mid ship minis.

Fortunately we don't do minis, I have trouble getting in and out of the tub, cause yet again they are adding things I don't want to the cabins I need.

One of my complaints with Celebrity is that to get the cabin I want I have to book Concierge and pay for extras that matter not.

Celebrity was lucky in that even their older ships have four separate entrances on 2 levels to the MDR. That let them wall off part of one level (with its own entrance) for the AquaClass 'Blu' restaurant, and now they have walled off part of the other level (with its own entrance) for the Suites 'Luminae' restaurant. Thus nobody has to get upset looking across the velvet rope at the forbidden fruit. I'm less familiar with Princess ship designs (and there seem to be more than Celebrity's two), but I assume they didn't have this easy solution. In any case, this seems to be the future of cruise ships: NCL The Haven; MSC Yacht Club; Cunard Princess Grill and Queens Grill -- and now Britannia Club (part of MDR, similar to Princess Club); Celebrity Blu and Luminae; and now Princess Club. If anything Princess may not have gone far enough -- why should anyone pay the price for a suite on Princess and get so little extra than a bigger cabin (compared to the competition)? The bottom line is: Where are you going to go--that won't institute this same policy before you sail?

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

My main concern with this is that anytime doesn't seem to work very well on Princess unless we dine very early or very late. If there was a dedicated restaurant for Club then I would have no problem with it

As far as the caste system, it has always been in place in hotels, airlines, cruise ships. It's like this: the more you are willing to pay, the more will get. Cruising is still a better bargain than it was 25 years ago when I first started cruising If people want a specialty dining experience, then they can pay to dine at a specialty restaurant every night. Unfortunately things cannot always remain the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it really any different on a plane? First class gets to board first thus getting access to better overhead storage, have bigger seats with some that totally recline, food (even if it is horrible) and drinks. You get what you pay for.

The term 'class system' is not relevant. Anyone can obtain these benefits if they choose to pay for them. And choice has nothing to do with the concept of a 'class system'.

And yes, it is exactly the same as on a plane or even train.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm already likely to avoid mini-suites on Princess because I hate everyone having a view into my entire balcony.

Now I'm more likely to avoid it because I so rarely eat in the MDR this is a waste of money.

Now, laundry, free booze, and Sabatini's breakfast in a suite... that's a different story.

I'm going to try to find a silver lining, and say that maybe, just maybe, this is a stepping stone to fixing the AT dining problem overall. The whole Club Class thing provides an opportunity to check cruise cards at the door every night, and could finally create a dividing line that forces people who pick TD to actually dine in TD or fend for themselves in the buffet - no more strolling into AT because they don't want to show up at their assigned time or don't like their tablemates. In theory, my hope is that the demand for early TD will diminish far enough that they can survive with only one seating early, freeing up the second MDR for AT all night long, which will fix the AT problem.

At least, one can hope... :D

Although there are a few other "perks" associated with Club Class, it would seem that dining stands out. Personally, I would much rather dine in a specialty restaurant each night. Cost of that "perk" for a 7 night cruise? $210-245. How much is the ding for Club Class? Is it really worth it?

Harry

Agree with you.

After looking at the MDR menu (hamburger for example) on the last few Princess cruises... we have decided to eat in the Crown Grill every night... we always book a mini suite forward, which is not included in the Club class, happily for us. For some time, we have special ordered off menu in the MDR. Princess is pretty accomodating compared to other lines. Regardless the menu in the Crown grill has more of what we really want, i.e., Sea bass, veal chops, fillet mignon, rib steak, so just makes sense to go to the Grill.

When we cruise Celebrity, we don't like the MDR at all, don't feel BLU the special Aqua class dining room is worth it, so we stick with the Buffet... do the same on NCL. On HAL and Cunard we are happy with the MDR... so we pick and choose what we like from the options. The good news all cruise lines give us lots of options these days, compared to years ago when it was simply the MDR breakfast - lunch - dinner.

Saw Club Class on the Queen Mary 2, Cunard lines last year. I did not pay more for it, was just as happy not too.

We have been cruising for years, if you know what you like it is easy to simply take advantage of the options on board without being concerned what others do.

Princess is simply trying to make more money with the Club Class. Since these cruise lines are all owned by the same company - no surprise they copy each other.

The term 'class system' is not relevant. Anyone can obtain these benefits if they choose to pay for them. And choice has nothing to do with the concept of a 'class system'.

And yes, it is exactly the same as on a plane or even train.

So why do they call it "First Class," Business Class," "Second Class," etc. if the term "class system" is not relevant?

A question.

If I book one of these club class minis will I be able to eat in standard dining?

I do hope so.

We normally cruise in a suite and elect to have a table for eight. Every time, we find our table has a mix of travellers in all grade of cabins and we have met some wonderful people and I wouldn't want to give that up.

We refuse to cruise with Cunard as we do not like the idea that the cruise lines feels we are too good to dine with some of our fellow passengers.

I do hope so.

We normally cruise in a suite and elect to have a table for eight. Every time, we find our table has a mix of travellers in all grade of cabins and we have met some wonderful people and I wouldn't want to give that up.

We refuse to cruise with Cunard as we do not like the idea that the cruise lines feels we are too good to dine with some of our fellow passengers.

My understanding was that it's a seperate section in ATD, a few thought occur if that is right

1. Ships with a few ATD restaurants, like Diamond with four, will you still be able to choose which dining room to use?

2. If Club Class CAN choose to use the other section and "mingle" won't that simply increase the crowd while leaving less in club class.

The wording has been changed since Princess originally released the procedure & this is their current statement from the Club Class FAQs:

"Guests who wish to dine with friends, family and other cruisers not booked in a Club Class Mini-Suite or Full Suite are welcome to do so during our Anytime Dining hours in the Main Dining Room. Guests who would like to book a Club Class Mini-Suite, but would prefer to dine in Traditional Dining can request this change by calling Princess or your travel consultant".

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-FAQ.pdf

Only time will tell what Club Class will be when it's first implemented on the Ruby & Emerald in December 2016.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just did a mock booking on Emerald 12 Dec (1st Club class cruise on this ship) you are still prompted to select trad early, trad late or ATD.

You'd think it simple to just write the code that automatically assigns you to the "Club Class" dining room if your cabin is of the designated category. But Celebrity has had its "Aqua Class" cabins and their proprietary dining room for more than a half-dozen years yet you still cannot bypass the MDR selection screen--you must make a choice which is thence ignored--when booking online with them.

We previously booked mini suites as my Mom traveled with a German Shepherd service dog. We needed the extra space for obvious reasons. I just had thoughts what if the only Mini Suites available for a cruise were the Club ones (others booked up) so to get the extra space, I have to pay for benefits I don't want. I have no doubt that this scenario may exist as I am a last minute cruise booker due to my job.

I guess I am one who remembers when service in the dining room was amazing for everyone.

I agree with you. I would prefer Princess roll out new features on new ships that were built for it. I think the concept of Salty Dog is tacky in the beloved Wheelhouse lounge. Princess probably should build their new ships with "new restaurant space" that they can modify for whatever whim they are thinking of that week.

Ah you've hit it on the head when you said "I guess I am one who remembers when service in the dining room was amazing for everyone.

" Unfortunately, as the industry has to cut costs, due to over capacity, then standards inevitably have fallen. Princess is I suppose trying to up the game again. Share and Salty Dog, well OK for the young and rowdy but not for the clientèle Princess were aiming for say 10 years ago. Finally got to Elite the hard way (days sailed as against lots of short cruises ) Was it worth it ? May have to move on to a line that still caters for those of a more sedate nature.:(

Edited by Ron the Rev
typo

The wording has been changed since Princess originally released the procedure & this is their current statement from the Club Class FAQs:

"Guests who wish to dine with friends, family and other cruisers not booked in a Club Class Mini-Suite or Full Suite are welcome to do so during our Anytime Dining hours in the Main Dining Room. Guests who would like to book a Club Class Mini-Suite, but would prefer to dine in Traditional Dining can request this change by calling Princess or your travel consultant".

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/club-class/ClubClass-FAQ.pdf

Only time will tell what Club Class will be when it's first implemented on the Ruby & Emerald in December 2016.

No doubt the above language was added to soothe those who have booked their favorite mini-suite for a future cruise only to find it forcibly re-classified. But this "clarification" only makes the program seem more half-baked as a lesser clone of the various somewhat comparable schemes on NCL, MSC and Celebrity. The big question now raised is that will the menu each night in Club Class dining be appreciably different than the standard MDR (as on the other three lines I cited) and if so, will Club Class pax be allowed to migrate at will without notice and receive priority seating ahead of us with ordinary ATD? On my one Celebrity cruise on lobster night there was a hours wait for the dining room even at 8:45 due to all the Aqua Class coming in for their lobster (and jumping to the head of the line) rather than their assigned BLU restaurant.

And I will add that all the knee-jerk Cunard bashing that pops up as soon as the words "class" and "dining" are put in the same sentence anywhere on Cruise Critic is inapplicable in this case. Cunard allows anyone who wishes to pay the premium cost to book a cabin that includes a permanent table in an open seating a la carte restaurant for three meals a day. And one day when my concern over saving for my future diminishes even further I will smash my piggy bank and book one of those cabins. Just like anyone else on this thread can do. Nothing at all to do with the "class" of passengers--and if Princess' proposed scheme was similar there certainly would be less hue and cry over the "degrading" of the standard MDR experience which in reality we will all be clueless about until the first rollout in December.

If you wish to dine in the Britannia restaurant on Cunard and have purchased a suite, there is nothing stopping you from doing that. Just have a word with the maitre d' :)

It is all about choice as to how you spend your money and nothing to do with 'class'.

So why do they call it "First Class," Business Class," "Second Class," etc. if the term "class system" is not relevant?

They could just as easily call it First PRICE, Business PRICE and Second PRICE.

It is nothing to do with class just a term to designate the differences and all to do with the PRICE you pay.

Pay more, get more :)

My guess is more people will be going to traditional dining so they don't have to wait or take a beeper at ATD. I just like to say to all my friends Welcome to Second Class :eek: I've been here waiting for you :D :D

Tony

You garnered my concern. I am afraid of long waits to get a table in anytime dining for the riff-raff (like me, most of the time). Roping off tables that may stay empty will increase wait times in AD that have already been long on some ships. Can you imagine running the dining room? These people have this kind of cabin; these have reservations, those just walked in....

I will book traditional dining or sail another line. Unless they will offer me a discount to not eat in the dining rooms at all.