Not Bikini ready !!!

Crewboxer01

OMG...you will NOT be the largest person on the ship....guaranteed! Wear what you want, and smile while doing it! No one cares! You will be surprised how little anyone notices anyone else....it's all about them!

I used to feel just like you are feeling. I also used to think just like you are thinking.

I wanted to go on a cruise for many years before we ever went. I was just so scared that because of my size I would stand out and that I would feel embarassed and ashamed and that I would be embarassing those with me.

I loved swimming and being in the water when I was a kid. It is an environment I am very comfortable in. A cruise ship is not an environment I had ever been in so I was worried about a multitude of things to do with being a person of size. I was worried that people would stare, people would make comments to each other, people would laugh at me, people would be rude.

Eventually I plucked up the courage to book a cruise. We went to Alaska where I knew there would be little use of the sun decks and pool. I was too scared to take my bathing suit. My eyes were opened. I realised that I wasn't the only person of size. I saw others just going about their day enjoying themselves. I didn't see or hear anyone being rude or inappropriate either. So we booked again, this time to the Caribbean and I packed my suit.

The first time I went to the pool I was very nervous, I went fearing I would run back to my room in tears. Well that didn't happen. I took off my outerwear and gingerly tiptoed to the edge of the pool. I glanced around. Guess what? Nobody was paying me any attention at all. They were all way to busy doing their own thing to care. They were enjoying their cruise and I was enjoying mine. Those first few minutes were an anxious time but then I was liberated from all those thoughts and what if scenarios I had concocted in my mind.

Since then I too have come to realise that I will likely never see any of them ever again. I am who I am and if someone cannot look behind the appearance and see who the person is then it is their loss not mine as I don't want friends like that anyway.

You go get em girl. Enjoy every moment of that cruise and that includes being out on that pool deck tanning and swimming in your lovely swimsuit.

Just have fun there are all sizes and shapes from size 2 to 22 end everybody is having a great time. Besides the chances of seeing any of those people again is slim so let loose. Just a reminder that even thought the ship is moving and there is always a breeze take car with sunscreen I have seen too many people with sunburns that really put a damper on fun.

OMG...you will NOT be the largest person on the ship....guaranteed! Wear what you want, and smile while doing it! No one cares! You will be surprised how little anyone notices anyone else....it's all about them!

Are you sure?:D

Just have fun there are all sizes and shapes from size 2 to 22 end everybody is having a great time. Besides the chances of seeing any of those people again is slim so let loose. Just a reminder that even thought the ship is moving and there is always a breeze take car with sunscreen I have seen too many people with sunburns that really put a damper on fun.

Totally agree! Shop around, there are many cute suits in many sizes, find one that you love. I personally choose a one piece because I cannot stand my stomach rolls, but that is just me.

Yes, suntan lotion! Repeat every two hours! Go 1 inch further than what your bathing suit covers so if it shifts, you won't end up with a red stripe.

Edited by MommaBear55

I guess it could be worse. You could be a fitness chick in her 20's and everyone's staring at you.

Funny you say that. My daughter is a fitness chick in her 20's that gets looks. She is a 23 year old personal trainer. I still don't want her wearing bikini bottoms around me. A mother ALWAYS notices the stares lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruzncutie

OP, I see you are from Canada and this is your first cruise. Just in case you have not been to the Caribbean before, I want to give you a head's up on the intensity of the sun when you are on the water or on white sand beach in the Caribbean. You will burn very, very fast so make sure you have a high SPF sunscreen with you and be very careful of the amount of time you spend in the sun.

Enjoy yourself.:)

Life is too short, do what you are comfortable doing. I once had a guy tell me on a cruise I shouldn't be eating dessert. Heck with him.. Some people are going to always be judge mental and rude.. Embrace who you are.. If they are t perfect themselves they shouldn't be judging

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You know what the problem is, right? All of the commercials show cruisers as beautiful people, couples gazing lovingly at each other and impeccably dressed, well-behaved children and so on. Hardly reality!

Isn't that the truth.

I've done 3 NCL cruises before, and also travelled on holiday mainly to warm weather hotel pool destinations for years mainly by myself, and have only ever had a handful of comments about size.

Mainly from rude children, and the only adult who has ever commented was actually my mum, reminding me how fat and ugly I was, on a cruise that she was only on with me, as I won it.

I'm a large enough lady, deep down I know I don't look particularly good in a bikini, but since I prefer wearing them to one pieces or any other sort of swim wear, I just wear and not care.

I have been on 49 cruises. People of all shapes and sizes, and I mean huge sizes, sport bikinis. I am gonna do it too. Trust me you will be comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do what you want, I've seen women and men on cruises who's body made it look like they were not wearing anything. There is a 99.9% change you will never see any of these people again in your life.

If you are comfortable in what you want to wear, just do it. Who's gives a crap. Especially when overweight people outnumber the skinnies anyway.

Just enjoy your life. Stop worrying what strangers think. In fact you should not ever be reading this post.

If your a good person, that's really all that matters... Size is just a health issue. But watch out for the European men with bellies wearing speedos. It can ruin your lunch.

I was on a Med cruise in 2010 and really wanted to go to the pool. I was a size 2X at the time and not comfortable but loved swimming and the sun. I expressed my concerns to my hubby and he said a very profound sentence that I never forgot.

He said, "I am the only one who cares and I have seen you naked. I love you and you are beautiful to me. If you need the people at the pool to love you, too, being in a swimsuit won't matter".

Be yourself and do what you love, life's too short.

Lynda

You know what the problem is, right? All of the commercials show cruisers as beautiful people, couples gazing lovingly at each other and impeccably dressed, well-behaved children and so on. Hardly reality!

I recently saw a commercial for Sandals and was stunned to notice the "guests" were played by physically fit white people and the only people of color were "staff" members. It was a huge turn off.

I was on a Med cruise in 2010 and really wanted to go to the pool. I was a size 2X at the time and not comfortable but loved swimming and the sun. I expressed my concerns to my hubby and he said a very profound sentence that I never forgot.

He said, "I am the only one who cares and I have seen you naked. I love you and you are beautiful to me. If you need the people at the pool to love you, too, being in a swimsuit won't matter".

Be yourself and do what you love, life's too short.

Lynda

I love this! SuiteCruisin, you have a great guy.

If someone is taking such great offence to another person's body then they should write down their complaint at Guest Services. I'd advise said person to take care and write it on small paper so it'll be easier when they roll it up and insert it into their backside. Assuming they can get their head out of there first.

How does the saying go? What other people think of me is none of my business?