Switching Credit Cards

Artie212

Hi, I can't seem to get a direct answer for the following and am seeking out your expertise. I have 2 upcoming Cruises booked and when I gave the deposit I used a certain credit card. At the time of the booking I was able to get the drink package/$350.00 OBC included. I would like to switch the credit card that I used to book these cruises to my new one and not loose my bookings/perks.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Artie

I don't think Celebrity will do that. How long ago did you book and how much was the deposit? It may not be worth it to cancel and rebook especially if you are going to lose perks or the price has increased. You can use a different credit card for final payment and ship board account.

Hi, I can't seem to get a direct answer for the following and am seeking out your expertise. I have 2 upcoming Cruises booked and when I gave the deposit I used a certain credit card. At the time of the booking I was able to get the drink package/$350.00 OBC included. I would like to switch the credit card that I used to book these cruises to my new one and not loose my bookings/perks.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Artie

Of course it's possible....think about all those who have to get new cards because someone stole card info...or lost cards. It happens all the time.

Just give celebrity the card you want to make the final payment on....or if you've already done that, you can change the credit card that will be used for any charges on the ship at the dock when you check in.

It's rare that I have the same card by the time I get to boarding the ship....

The only time I can think of that it would make a difference is if you are getting Amex Platinum benefits -- then both the deposit and the final payment must be on the Platinum card. But even then, you can switch the card for your onboard account to anything you like.

Another reason you may want to keep the same credit card is if that card offers any travel benefits / insurance. At least on my cards, they explicitly state that the entire voyage must be paid for with their card.

If you want Celebrity to refund your initial deposit and charge it to another card, I'm pretty sure you can not. I wanted to once to get the credit card benefits from a different card that required the entire cruise be on the card and was not able to. I was working with a TA then and not Celebrity directly.

If you just want to use a different credit card for final payment or on board they don't care.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to switch the credit card prior to final payment. Just do not want to lose the perks I already have. Thanks again everyone for your input and information.

Oh my goodness, don't worry about it.

Just pay with whatever card you want to. We have had our AmEx card hacked and had to switch.

We even had final payment made with one card and then two months later when we sailed and we showed a card, it was a different one entirely. It doesn't have to be the same one you paid them with.

People change cards and numbers all the time. It's a non-issue.

My questions: Do you want to change the credit card you used for a deposit and have the deposit put onto a different card? If yes, Celebrity will not do that.

Do you want to use a different card for final payment than you used for the deposit? If yes, that is not a problem at all. No need to call anyone. Just give them this card when you make final payment.

Your perks have nothing to do with your payment method (unless you are getting perks from your credit card company...such as AMEX Platinum). If you booked directly with the cruise line just call them and give them your new credit card info. If you used a cruise/travel agency you should notify them of what card you want to use for your final payment...as many agencies will automatically charge the same card you used for deposit UNLESS you give them different instructions.

And when you check-in for your cruise they will again ask for a credit card (to use for your onboard account) and you could give them a 3rd card if that is what you desire.

Hank

The only time I can think of that it would make a difference is if you are getting Amex Platinum benefits -- then both the deposit and the final payment must be on the Platinum card. But even then, you can switch the card for your onboard account to anything you like.

Sadly, American Express and Celebrity have ended their relationship and there are no longer Amex Platinum benefits on Celebrity. That isn't to say they won't form a group and provide a free shore excursion.

I might add that we have even changed credit cards on embarkation from the one we had listed on the boarding pass, as well as on final payment. No one bat an eyelash and we never lost a single perk. No need to worry, I assure you.

Edited by emileg

Chezmarylou.......yes to your first question, thats what I wanted to do, without losing the two perks that I obtained at the time of initial booking. I have since learned that I can not do that. I know that when onboard it doesn't matter what card I give them on account. Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.

Art