Tipping in Europe

Sergio11

I have lived in Barcelona for the past three years, and my girlfriend has lived here for most of her life. Tipping is extremely rare. Just not a part of the culture. I'm sure they would welcome it, but they certainly aren't expecting it. Although I have noticed when I have friends visit and we eat in more touristy areas, those are the only places that mention gratuity is not included either by saying it or seeing it on the bill. But in my opinion, if you don't tip, no problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure where the idea that we don't tip in Europe comes from.

We do tip but not to the same degree as in the USA.

The main reason for this is that we have legislation for employers to pay a minimum wage amount. This means that a person's employer is expected to pay them a proper wage so that they don't have to depend on tips.

Personally this is the system that I prefer, although I would still normally tip around 10%

The main reason for this is that we have legislation for employers to pay a minimum wage amount. This means that a person's employer is expected to pay them a proper wage so that they don't have to depend on tips.

Personally this is the system that I prefer, although I would still normally tip around 10%

Absolutely agree

If we get a pizza delivered we usually add on £1 or so to the driver (even though (s)he is getting £1 extra on top of their hourly wage from the company as well for the delivery.

At a restaurant we usually add on about 10% or whatever seems a sensible amount if we're happy with the service.

Different in different cultures though.

This is exactly what I do in Europe.

Its wrong to say it is not the customer to tip in Europe....I agree with this post attached - that is how we tip also..

However, in Europe, we tend not to tip on top of a tip, which seems to be the US way.

Yes we do pay more wages in Europe, but a small tip to acknowledge good service is most certainly appreciated and the 'normal' thing that most Europeans do.

We tip guides if they have been informative and put in extra effort to ensure our day was enjoyable.

Jean

Edited by Jeannie333333

Tipping is much more relaxed in Europe unlike America so don't lose any sleep over it. There is no such thing as a tipping culture in Europe.

But having said that giving anything close to 10% or rounding up to the nearest euro at restaurants or other places would be appreciative there is no need to go overboard.

Tipping to tour guides and drivers are probably more common than you think. Again it will be appreciative to tip a few euros.

As an aside, for those wondering about tips when on shore, as a uk traveller who has spent many years in Europe (studying and travelling) I can confirm that it absolutely is customary to tip, although not 18% as our US friends do. In a restaurant, 10% is the norm for good/great service, and for taxis rounding up to the nearest £5/€5 is fine. For a tour guide who has looked after you all day I would tip around £5/€5 per person. At counter service coffee shops etc, there is often a tip jar for you to pop in loose change, no particular expected amount. Although this won't necessarily be relevant to travellers, we also always tip at hair salons and beauty spas! Those in the service industry are paid a better wage, however a tip is always appreciated and gratefully received, and as it is discretionary I guess it is genuinely a tip in the true sense of the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm german and that's the way I handle tipping in my country and during vacations in other european states.

We tip wherever we go. Always have done.

Leave the change when we buy a coffee or glass of wine - an euro or two.

Tip after eating out - usually 10€. £10 in UK.

Taxi.

Tour guides.

One more for " who said that we don't tip in Europe?"

Never had a tip refused in Italy or Spain either:)

When Europeans come to the US we expect them to tip since it's our custom. When we go to Europe it's their custom not to tip. On my shore excursions we did not tip because it is their custom. On the ship is different, there is a suggested daily amount.

Europeans do tip! We tip when we receive good service and we may not tip if we haven't received good service. A 10% tip for good food and service in a restaurant is about right but if the meal food was average and the service bad, then don't leave anything more than a few coins on your plate. Don't add your tips to the bill when paying by credit card as the staff will probably not get any of it. In a bar or sitting at the counter, you don't need to leave more than a few coins, if anything. Tipping is a voluntary appreciation of good service and is not expected as part of the workers' wages, so use your discretion.

Totally agree!

Hello,

I will be doing a cruise on the Harmony and Brilliance in June. In past cruises leaving from Florida I would bring extra $1's and tip extra.

Can I do the same in Europe or should I convert $1 to Euros??

I tired getting small Euro bills but bank did not have any.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Use your dollars, they will be just fine.