Kids Arcade

Presuming there is a arcade on Jewel of the seas .. I know my child wants to use it but I want to limit the use as he will spend all day in there if he gets the chance . I have not signed him up for onboard charging . Can someone tell me how it works on Royal carribean for him to play . Thank you

Presuming there is a arcade on Jewel of the seas .. I know my child wants to use it but I want to limit the use as he will spend all day in there if he gets the chance . I have not signed him up for onboard charging . Can someone tell me how it works on Royal carribean for him to play . Thank you

Your child does not need charging privileges to be able to use their sea pass card in the arcade, unfortunately. There is a machine as you enter the arcade that you put your sea pass in and load funds onto your sea pass to be used in the arcade. You will need to talk to your child and let them know how much the can put on their sea pass card or if they are young, you will need to do it for them.

There is usually free arcade hours the first night of the cruise, around 10pm, so check your cruise compass.

the arcade will continue to accrue charges over and above the sea pass limit. in fact even if he has ZERO charging privileges the card will work in the arcade.

so how you handle that..well that's a personal decision.

Had not realised this and I would say definitely a fault on Royal carribeans part . Thanks for info on free night . I am going to have to set a limit , he turns 14 on the cruise , anyone got experience of setting limits daily / weekly what would be reasonable say for an hours play an evening.

Can I keep track of his spends via TV ?

Thank you

yes you can track all charges on the TV. as for setting daily limits.. again that is your decision and based on your parenting style and his maturity level.

how much would you say is reasonable at Dave N Busters? can he be trusted to voluntarily stop playing at the X dollar level? or after X time period? what happens if he meets other kids who tell him that he can just stick his card in that slot to play as much as he wants?

To be honest he is a bit addicted but normally on holiday there is not the opportunity for him to play .. Think he will be tempted to play more than I would like. He plays at home we are in uk so not sure what Dave and busters is but I never pay for him to play outside of the home. How much play time ( roughly ) woukd 10 dollars get him ... Realise there are lots of variables

DS (11 on the cruise, 12 now) got the equivalent of $50 worth on Freedom in March, and it lasted the whole 7 days.

BUT!!!

We took advantage of the free hours that first (?) night.

And we set time limits AND would come get him. Casually, not like prison guards LOL. But he knew we might show up at any time.

And about half the time he was playing with his dad, who enjoys videogames just as much as he does. So that's built-in monitoring.

Tell him you didn't set up charging privileges on his card and it won't work in the arcade. Then if you see he tried to do it in the arcade ground him for the rest of his birthday.

:cool:

No sense lying to him as he will learn quickly enough. At that age he is certainly old enough to tell him he is allowed $xx for the cruise. Anything above that comes out of his savings when he gets home. He can review his spending each day on the TV.

I would tell him his limit....if he surpasses it, take his card and hold it for him. It will restrict his coming and going, too! At 14, he's old enough to grasp the concept of how much he's allowed to spend!

No sense lying to him as he will learn quickly enough. At that age he is certainly old enough to tell him he is allowed $xx for the cruise. Anything above that comes out of his savings when he gets home. He can review his spending each day on the TV.

Well I was looking at it from the perspective of the OP that RCI should have controls in to forcibly limit children from spending in the arcade. I don't necessarily disagree but from the tone it sounded like there was a chance that even if the child was told what the limit was from their parent they'd still overspend.

If that's the case and you can't trust them to obey the limits the parents have set for them -- might as well just forbid it entirely or carry the card with you.

I've just told my son you get X amount for the week and once it's gone, it's gone. But I've generally been in the arcade with him so it's easy to track.

Once he's old enough to go alone, I will do same as PP, he gets X amount per day, I'm checking, and if he goes over he loses his card for rest of cruise (and the overage comes out of his bank account!).

Does anyone know if you have to walk through the arcade on the Jewel to get to the kids club? That was something I really didn't like about the Explorer on our recent cruise. We are trying Jewel next and maybe Harmony.