RFID Chip sleeves

klfrodo

Curiosity here...please detail and document how people are doing this...

What reasonable precautions are these folks neglecting??

The most common things are not using RFID blocking tech (whether it's a sleeve or a wallet) if you've got that technology in your card, writing PIN numbers down somewhere obvious (even sometimes on the card), loaning their card out to friends and giving them the PIN number, especially if you never change it.

I've read the papers that have shown how the data can be mined, but I suspect that it's not being done a lot because there are easier ways to get a lot more information (such as installing a fake reader on a legitimate machine, or flooding out a bunch of phishing emails).

These are older articles so maybe technology has improved (both ways)

https://www.click2houston.com/news/thieves-easily-stealing-credit-card-info-by-electronic-pick-pocketing_20151123152713118

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2948212/Will-victim-digital-pickpockets-Hacker-reveals-easy-steal-credit-card-numbers-air-SECONDS.html

My friend's card was skimmed this way so I use the sleeves as we have the tap & go/Wave on our cards

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

If the banks and credit card companies were really concerned about their cards being hacked they would have adopted the same protections that most of the rest of the world has. In the US finally have cards with embedded chips. But a pin number is not part of the protections as they are in Europe and elsewhere. The banks and card companies adamantly argued against adopting that level of protections because of expense of converting to such a system.

Instead, we had been required to sign the receipt, which is not as secure. Anyone who can read the name on the front of the card can sign that name since there isn't a comparison to a master signature as part of the security process. And just last month the credit card companies have announced that even the signature is no longer required, which makes sense since it isn't being matched anyway. Requiring a signature just slows up the check out process without adding a single bit of value. This is especially true with card reader devices where you enter a signature on a touch display using a finger as the pen. Such signatures are almost unreadable and totally useless.

Some of my US cards ARE chip and PIN. But most are chip only.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/thieves-easily-stealing-credit-card-info-by-electronic-pick-pocketing_20151123152713118

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2948212/Will-victim-digital-pickpockets-Hacker-reveals-easy-steal-credit-card-numbers-air-SECONDS.html

My friend's card was skimmed this way so I use the sleeves as we have the tap & go/Wave on our cards

YMMV

How do you know how it was hacked?

YMMV

I actually subscribe to the Daily Mail, and I don’t always believe they’re a credible source. If I read in the Mail that the sky is blue, I still want to go outside and check. :D

I believe the threat of RFID readers exists in theory, but I’m not convinced that it actually happens in the wild.

I also think they may have reduced the distance the cards will broadcast since they were first introduced. When I use my contactless cards, I have to get them to within less than a centimetre of the reader before they work.

Edited to add: my handbag actually has an RFID blocking pocket, so I guess I’m covered no matter what!

Edited by lisiamc

Well, I save my anger for important issues, not something that at worst only costs me a few pennies a year. :rolleyes:

Perhaps a few pennies a year, as you say but multiply that by how many people b y how many years,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A tidy sum resutls and there are better uses fo r those funds

Perhaps a few pennies a year, as you say but multiply that by how many people b y how many years,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A tidy sum resutls and there are better uses fo r those funds

Well, the same thing could be said about how many pennies have been lost by "by how many people by how many years". Does that mean that each of us need to search for every penny we lose track of?

If it's only a few pennies, I am not going to go to extremes to save such an insignificant amount. It's just not worth the effort. If I can afford to travel the world, I can afford to waste a few pennies for my convenience. My time and effort is worth something, and in this case, more than those few pennies.

Well, the same thing could be said about how many pennies have been lost by "by how many people by how many years". Does that mean that each of us need to search for every penny we lose track of?

If it's happening when you pay cash, then, yeah, you should. Well, not search for it yourself, of course, but alert the company and make sure they investigate it, because a lot of embezzlers steal money from their bosses by taking pennies that they assume no one will care about. Not at a huge level (like banks and big businesses, which have lots of fraud protection checks and double checks), but as small businesses that still use a fair bit of cash. The cashier records the sale at $24.62 but charges you $24.64 and gives you change for $24.64, assuming that you won't look at the invoice (if you took an invoice) that says $24.64 until you're at home and don't feel like bothering about it. Those extra cents are removed from the cash register later. If there are enough transactions, it could be enough to make a dent in a small business' budget. Not using cash would solve that issue, of course, but a cashless society comes with it's own set of problems.

If it's happening when you pay cash, then, yeah, you should. Well, not search for it yourself, of course, but alert the company and make sure they investigate it, because a lot of embezzlers steal money from their bosses by taking pennies that they assume no one will care about. Not at a huge level (like banks and big businesses, which have lots of fraud protection checks and double checks), but as small businesses that still use a fair bit of cash. The cashier records the sale at $24.62 but charges you $24.64 and gives you change for $24.64, assuming that you won't look at the invoice (if you took an invoice) that says $24.64 until you're at home and don't feel like bothering about it. Those extra cents are removed from the cash register later. If there are enough transactions, it could be enough to make a dent in a small business' budget. Not using cash would solve that issue, of course, but a cashless society comes with it's own set of problems.

While I expect to receive the correct change and will notify the cashier or wait person of a discrepancy if I notice it, I also inform them if they have given me more change than I deserve or they have not charged me for something I bought and it is not listed on the sales slip. I do the same for them as I would expect them to do for me - correct an incorrect amount, regardless of who benefits from that correction. Honesty is expected both ways. I am dismayed by the number of people who would simply keep the windfall for themselves if they got more back than they deserved and they knew it.

But, if I miss that the cashier gave me two pennies more than I deserved, and they end up being shorted by those two pennies, how is that my responsibility? I can only correct what I am aware of. I am not a mind reader. If I discover their small error after I return home, I certainly won't spend a couple of dollars of gas money to go back to return two cents!!!

You are obsessed with accumulated errors costing the store significant money at the end of the day. From my experience, the errors go both ways with the store sometimes inadvertently charging the customer more, and it goes unnoticed. I wouldn't be surprised that at the end of the day, there are just as many overage discrepancies as daily deficits.

Edited by sloopsailor