Tulum

ober134

Considering booking an excursion to this Mayan ruins. I've read many reviews trying to decide, but wondering if anyone can give opinion or advice. My ship will be in port along with 3 other ships, so I'm guessing cozumel will be overrun with people on this particular day.

4 ships in Coz is normal, maybe even on the light side, depends on size of ships. If you do Tulum, look into a ship excursion unless you're in port for 10 hours or so. Even then, I'd be reluctant to do it because of the cost versus time at Tulum. You'll spend more time getting there than at the ruins.

If you've read many reviews what other opinions or advice are you looking for? What is the additional information you are trying to get to help make your decision.

Is there anything you are interested in doing on Cozumel like snorkeling?

Considering booking an excursion to this Mayan ruins. I've read many reviews trying to decide, but wondering if anyone can give opinion or advice. My ship will be in port along with 3 other ships, so I'm guessing cozumel will be overrun with people on this particular day.

Hi there

Not sure what you are asking.

Cozumel is not a very small island. People from 3 ships wouldn't noticeably "overrun" the island, except in the port areas.

If you are asking if Tulum is something that would be worth making an effort to see. I would say yes. But...since you would be taking a ferry to Playa del Carmen and return, taxi to the ruins etc...you really want to make sure you have enough time. To be comfortable I think your ship needs to be in port at about 8hrs. Some stops at Cozumel don't stay long enough. The other option would be a ships excursion but that gets much more expensive if more than two people.

have a great cruise

Like the others have said, four ships in Cozumel is nothing when it comes to traffic. That's a light day.

I'm assuming, since you've read reviews, that you know you have to go to the mainland for Tulum. I would also advise a ship's excursion if that is the plan. Depending on your cruise line and choice of excursions, some of the cruise lines will have a private ferry/boat set up to take you to the mainland, which cuts down on the public ferry time.

What else would you like to know? Are you looking for opinions on Tulum itself, or how to get there? It's not my favorite of the Mayan ruins, but that's a matter of taste. I would also not go from Cozumel, as there are so many fun things to do in Cozumel, and we usually spend a week in Riv Maya each year.

To me the Tulum ruins are a "been there, done that" kind of thing. If you are really into it, you may really enjoy it. I was bored and hot. Much preferred Coba. Again, you asked for opinions, but not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Tulum from Coz is doable but I wouldn't. You will have to take the ferry then a bus to the ruins and the majority of your time will be spent getting there and back. 4 ships in Coz shouldn't make much of an impact. There is plenty to do in Coz depending on what you are interested in.

Thanks for input. I guess I just wanted additional opinions...

specifically:

**ferry ride, is it as bad as ppl say?

I will only opt for a ship sponsored tour due to time frame. DH is huge history buff, so this excursion is for him and it's my compromise. We've only been to Cozumel once before and even though weather wasn't great, we made a nice beach day of it.

We tend to shy away from Cruise Line excursions, so this will be a bit different for us. Yes, we may not get a lot of time at the actual ruins... but I guess we need to decide if seeing them in person for even a small amount of time is worth it vs. never having the opportunity. No one can answer that for us.

BTW we are considering the Carnival VIP/Tulum pkg. Not sure if that makes a difference; there are only a couple reviews (all 5-star) posted for this particular tour.

specifically:

I will only opt for a ship sponsored tour due to time frame. DH is huge history buff, so this excursion is for him and it's my compromise. We've only been to Cozumel once before and even though weather wasn't great, we made a nice beach day of it.

We tend to shy away from Cruise Line excursions, so this will be a bit different for us. Yes, we may not get a lot of time at the actual ruins... but I guess we need to decide if seeing them in person for even a small amount of time is worth it vs. never having the opportunity. No one can answer that for us.

BTW we are considering the Carnival VIP/Tulum pkg. Not sure if that makes a difference; there are only a couple reviews (all 5-star) posted for this particular tour.

the ferry ride is across a very wide deep channel.... 45 minutes average boat time. It can be smooth or it can be bouncing, depending totally on waves due to wind. For us it has never been a problem.

Tulum is a smaller ruin complex, and lots of tours and people. You will learn stuff, but it isn't like doing the ruins in Belize or upper Yucatan of Mexico, like Chichen Itza or Uxmal, etc.

Ferry ride could be a bit rough if there's been a storm through or approaching. Since your ship will be coming down the channel between Coz and the main land, you can get a sense of the sea height/swells before you dock. That said, the ferry isn't a big cruise ship and does tend to travel at faster speeds than a cruise ship getting ready to berth. So it could get choppy. If you have a tendency toward motion sickness, a tab of bonine just before or just as your ship docks will help.

If you DH is a history buff, he'll enjoy the ruins, you'll enjoy the views. Tulum is a latepost classical site so younger than Chichen Itza and Coba and probably more a trading route post than a central city. Have him pick up a copy of Will Carlsen's new book, "Jungle of Stone" before the cruise.

Tulum was the first ruins I ever visited and still my favorite. It's beautiful there overlooking the beach.I agree with others that the ferry ride depends on the wind and weather. The ferry is air conditioned and and has seats in the fresh air...whatever you prefer when feeling sick. It's a time consuming excursion,so it will more than likely take up your entire time in port. I would go.:)

• 2 weeks later...

It can be. I just rode it this past weekend. One of the ferries had frosted glass on the lower level so you couldn't see anything. We initially were going to sit there but I had a bad feeling about it so we sat up top outside instead. Towards the end of the trip the mother sitting in front of me took her daughter below to the 1st level to go the bathroom. She came back and told her husband it was a puke fest down below. Fortunately, we got off the ship from the top rear and didn't have to down below to verify.

I would be the second level for sure and make sure you can see outside. Being outside in fresh air preferably. But you run the risk of getting wet from a storm. That happened to people on the way back from Playa del Carmen.

specifically:

Seeing Mayan ruins was a huge desire of my husband as well, not so much for me. We opted to go to Coba though rather than Tulum because (a) you can actually get up close and ON the ruins there...one in particular is popular for climbing and (b) there is shade at Coba as there are many more trees there...the ruins are in the forest/jungle area.

I can tell you that I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I loved going out to the ruins. We had a wonderful guide who gave us a lot of history on the drive out to the ruins and then walked with us for about 45 minutes to show us some of the main ruins areas. We then had about 45 minutes to wander the site on our own. It was really fabulous.

Our tour was through the ship (RCL) and included a stop on the way back for a nice mid-afternoon buffet lunch at a restaurant in Playa del Carmen. We didn't find the ferry ride to be an issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...

We went there May of last year. My sweetie really likes history and it was important to him. No issues with the ferry. Getting there was long but we liked seeing the scenery and our guide on the bus was a good guide as we drove along.

Once there it was hot and beautiful. Glad we went.

We went through Carnival. I'm not sure what the VIP portion is?

I was in Tulum some years ago. Took a full day ship excursion with RCI.

We had about 1 h 15 min at the ruins in Tulum. We then were off to a beautiful beach for some lunch and beach time (maybe one and a half hour).

The drive from Playa Del Carmen to Tulum was a little less than an hour.

For me it was well worth to go to Tulum. It's not that old, but it's interesting and it's a very nice location with a small beach below the ruins.

Here is a link to some photos from my Tulum excursion back in 2013:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/forums/threads/the-big-easy-day-14-ruins-and-the-perfect-beach.215057/

/Erik

• 2 weeks later...